Cellular Service aboard Explorer of the Seas? Anyone have experience with this?

I have heard that SOME ships have a cell phone service which is available on the ship, basically a cell phone tower on the ship. This is turned off when the ship gets close to land. At that point you can use the land-based cellular service. 

Does anyone know whether Explorer has this? 

I don't see it anywhere, and I'd think this would be a selling point, so I'm guessing they don't have it....I see the Voom internet, but we're worried about Incoming calls from my Wife's fathers Hospital (she's his medical decisionmaker), not outgoing calls.

I assume you don't care about the price.  The use of their cell tower can be super expensive.  That being said can I suggest that you enable voice to text on your voice message. and then have those messages sent to you via email? 

The wifi can be spotty so incoming calls can be an issue regardless.  (I used to use it for work, when they agreed to pick up the charges)  Having the email can be another way to keep an eye on the incoming calls.

Don't forget that ashore, in non-US ports, you may also have roaming included.  (Our plan does include this)

• Like 2

Most newer phones and mainstream service providers support wifi calling.  If you have that feature and pay for Voom, you can use it on the ship.  Just make sure that if you haven't already done so, enable wifi calling while in your home service area and test it.  You might not be able to activate it when roaming or on wifi.  If that works for you, then on the ship, put your phone in airplane mode, then switch wifi and wifi calling on, and your all set.  You don't need "stream' for this - "surf" would work just fine.

Note that Voom Internet service relies on satellite signals, so clouds and other obstructions can affect speeds.  Also the wifi access points on the ship can be spotty.  Since incoming contact is important, you might want to have the hospital text you if they need you.  Texts seem to go through more reliably than calls when Internet service is low/spotty. And as mentioned, when in port, if your plan covers international roaming, you can switch airplane mode off to use your phone as normal.

• Thanks 2

Thanks to Everyone!  This is great info!
We just went thru the steps to enable Wi-Fi calling, tested it, and tested sending a Text as well.  between this and (if we have to) the Cell tower, we should be good.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, The Maddens said:

We just went thru the steps to enable Wi-Fi calling, tested it, and tested sending a Text as well.  between this and (if we have to) the Cell tower, we should be good.  Thanks!

I recommend turning on Airplane Mode and enabling Wi-Fi when on the ship.  If you're getting Voom, you don't need the cell connection to the ship, and you might end up getting charges for using cell data/calls unnecessarily (you don't need the ship's cell tower connection at all if you have Voom).  

You can check with your cell company about coverage in the ports you'll be visiting.  For example, Verizon includes Mexico in my plan, so I can use my phone normally in Mexico without incurring charges.  And Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are part of the USA, so your US-based cell phone will work normally there as well.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 4:59 PM, The Maddens said:

Keep in mind that you were asking specifically about "Explorer" and their internet/wi-fi. A friend of mine just sailed her in December and said the internet/wifi was horrible due to it being an older ship and not having been upgraded yet.

1 hour ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

A friend of mine just sailed her in December and said the internet/wifi was horrible due to it being an older ship and not having been upgraded yet.

Being an older ship and on the older geosyc sat system won't preclude someone from making/getting calls or sending/getting texts.

Edited by Biker19

On 8/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, brillohead said:

I recommend turning on Airplane Mode and enabling Wi-Fi when on the ship.  If you're getting Voom, you don't need the cell connection to the ship, and you might end up getting charges for using cell data/calls unnecessarily (you don't need the ship's cell tower connection at all if you have Voom).  

This should become a ritual whenever you approach the ship, Airplane mode on, WiFi on. Smartphones do a lot of stuff in the background and you can run up a huge bill without even being aware that anything is happening. In fact, if you don't really need to get messages, phone off, is the safest policy. Those cellular systems are big profit centers for the cruse lines. 

• Like 1