current cruise directors on p&o at the moment

club67

23 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

I'm not sure any of the Entertainment Team would want to do 5 minutes after a show. They'd be competing with the people who insist on leaving their seats the minute the show/act has finished even before the house lights have been turned on and a final round of applauds to show appreciation is given to the performers. These people are not only annoying when trying to push past if you are in the same row, but are extremely rude to the performers and shows total ignorance. It is also a health and safety issue to rush out of the theatre in the dark.

Must admit I can never understand the rush , especially at the late show, unless people are desperate to get to bed or the bar

4 hours ago, Palaceman said:

I'm not sure any of the Entertainment Team would want to do 5 minutes after a show. They'd be competing with the people who insist on leaving their seats the minute the show/act has finished even before the house lights have been turned on and a final round of applauds to show appreciation is given to the performers. These people are not only annoying when trying to push past if you are in the same row, but are extremely rude to the performers and shows total ignorance. It is also a health and safety issue to rush out of the theatre in the dark.

Absolutely. It's not like they can really be in a hurry to get anywhere...

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Absolutely. It's not like they can really be in a hurry to get anywhere...

They may well want to get to the lift before the peloton arrives, and they then have to wait in the crowded lift foyer, catching covid and lots of other bugs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

They may well want to get to the lift before the peloton arrives, and they then have to wait in the crowded lift foyer, catching covid and lots of other bugs.

Judging by the speed they leave the theatre, they clearly don't need to use a lift!!! 

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But this happened before Covid.....

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know who this is in the photo (circled yellow) who was on Iona in August? He was introducing all the theatre shows etc. He said that several years ago, he appeared in Headliners Theatre Company on some of the other ships? Just curious! Sorry for the rubbish photo!

p&o.jpg

On 8/9/2022 at 2:42 AM, molecrochip said:

Neil Oliver is the lead Entertainment Manager on Arvia. I believe he has recently left Britannia for shore-leave before taking up the position to launch the ship.

Hi,

Does this mean that Paul Brown will also be on Arvia with Neil?

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

Hi,

Does this mean that Paul Brown will also be on Arvia with Neil?

I think I read somewhere a while back that Paul Brown was going to be the second main Master of Arvia, after Robert Camby.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 11:23 PM, AuroraCruiser08 said:

He's definitely still around, had him on Iona last Christmas, very good! One of our favorites 

That's good to hear! We have just left Iona after two weeks and didn't see the Entertainment Manager until the last night. I couldn't even tell you his name. (It wasn't John...) The team didn't seem to be as involved with the passengers as in the past. Probably as it is such a big ship.

Is the immortal Hughie Taylor still around? He was as “recently” as 2018 on our last Oriana cruise. I know he was a bit of a “Marmite” Cruise Director (as they were called back then), but in our many meetings going back to the mid/late 1980’s we always found him very pleasant.

Also, does anyone remember Bill Allison. He really was superb and took part in big productions such as “Me and My Girl”(Sea Princess 1986).

The 12 night Aurora cruise we just got back from didn’t have an Entertainment Manager/Cruise Director. No one came on at the end of the headliners show to lead the thank yous, so we asked one of the entertainment staff what was happening. Apparently the Entertainment manager is on leave and will be back in December. Presumably there wasn’t anyone available to take their place. I guess the other staff had to take on extra duties and do the best they could. Hope the same thing doesn’t happen when the Captain goes on leave!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

The 12 night Aurora cruise we just got back from didn’t have an Entertainment Manager/Cruise Director. No one came on at the end of the headliners show to lead the thank yous, so we asked one of the entertainment staff what was happening. Apparently the Entertainment manager is on leave and will be back in December. Presumably there wasn’t anyone available to take their place. I guess the other staff had to take on extra duties and do the best they could. Hope the same thing doesn’t happen when the Captain goes on leave!

There's usually an Assistant CD/Entertainment Manager. Mind you, if it is the same one who was on board in September, you haven't missed much...

3 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

Is the immortal Hughie Taylor still around? He was as “recently” as 2018 on our last Oriana cruise. I know he was a bit of a “Marmite” Cruise Director (as they were called back then), but in our many meetings going back to the mid/late 1980’s we always found him very pleasant.

Also, does anyone remember Bill Allison. He really was superb and took part in big productions such as “Me and My Girl”(Sea Princess 1986).

Bill Allison was the port presenter on my first cruise on Aurora in 2001.  I didn’t know at the time, but found out several years later that he’d previously been a cruise director.

Neil Oliver was the cruise director on that cruise, and I remember that he did a cameo in one of the shows, singing a Gilbert & Sullivan song. I think the CD’s did more in the way of performance back then

It’s been a few years since we’ve been on a cruise with Hughie Taylor, but I used to find some of his announcements to be quite amusing ( but that may be just me! ) 

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

There's usually an Assistant CD/Entertainment Manager. Mind you, if it is the same one who was on board in September, you haven't missed much...

Someone will have stepped into that role. Its possible that they were isolating hence the role not visibly being filmed.

I believe Hughie Taylor left the organisation during Covid. I think he was on Ventura before hand. There was a big shift in entertainment team during and straight after covid. The role changed and some left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 7:25 PM, jh1809 said:

He must also surely have the most memorable name of any P&O employee. 🙂

He comes from the Channel Islands. I recall being on a cruise many years ago when this caused a problem when visiting St Thomas in the American Virgin Islands. As he had a Channel Islands passport he was not eligible for the visa waiver scheme and the US authorities would not allow him to enter the port even if he stayed on the ship - he had to leave it at the previous port and rejoin it at the next.