Upgrade Question ?

jc foster

I received what they say is an upgrade  from Princess. Its from a Balcony BD to a Balcony B2. I have never understood all of the lettering and numbering categories. I checked on the Princess website and the upgrade shows to be to a Preminum Balcony on a lower deck. Is this really an upgrade ?   What are the drawbacks to these cabins ? Thanks

• Like 1

Just now, jc foster said:

I received what they say is an upgrade  from Princess. Its from a Balcony BD to a Balcony B2. I have never understood all of the lettering and numbering categories. I checked on the Princess website and the upgrade shows to be to a Preminum Balcony on a lower deck. Is this really an upgrade ?   What are the drawbacks to these cabins ? Thanks

Almost forgot . Its on the RUBY.

The premium balcony will have a small loveseat and more room. It's a nice upgrade. Posting the original cabin number and upgraded cabin number would help.

When you receive an upgrade, you can request to be moved to any other available cabin in the upgrade category if another cabin appeals to you more. A lot of times, though, there are not any available cabins. I received an upgrade from my guarantee hold booking from the lowest level of inside to the highest. The cruise is 110 days away, but there are not any cabins showing up as available in the highest level of inside cabins.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The premium balcony will have a small loveseat and more room. It's a nice upgrade. Posting the original cabin number and upgraded cabin number would help.

When you receive an upgrade, you can request to be moved to any other available cabin in the upgrade category if another cabin appeals to you more. A lot of times, though, there are not any available cabins. I received an upgrade from my guarantee hold booking from the lowest level of inside to the highest. The cruise is 110 days away, but there are not any cabins showing up as available in the highest level of inside cabins.

They changed me from A641 to C 531

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The premium balcony will have a small loveseat and more room.

You are thinking of a deluxe balcony, which are only on the Royal class ships, not on the Ruby.  

21 minutes ago, jc foster said:

That is an excellent upgrade.  The cabin will be exactly the same size but your balcony will be bigger and in a better location, IMO.
PS ..  I believe some of aft Aloha deck cabins are being used as quarantine cabins (they’ve moved it a couple of times).  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jc foster said:

IMO… C531 is a much better and a larger, 1/2 covered balcony.  I think it’s a good one.  We always book the Caribe deck.

They may need Aloha for quarantine.

• Like 3

Caribe Deck balconies are our "go to" cabins on all Grand class ships. Much larger balconies that are half-covered. I'd take this upgrade in a heartbeat with a big smile on my face.

• Like 4

I'll be the one to point out what could be a bad side to these cabins. There are many people who don't care for them due to the lack of privacy. I have had both uncovered and half uncovered. Everyone who is out on their balcony above can look down and see you. You can sit under the half covered part if you like  but as soon as you go to the rail to enjoy the view as I like doing, everyone can see you. I would rather be the one with the more private, higher cabin looking down with a great view. This is why the similar fully covered balconies on the Emerald deck sell out right away. Everyone is different, if this doesn't bother you then I am sure you will enjoy this cabin. You should however be made aware of the potential down side.  

• Like 2

Yes, go for the larger balcony!!!   There are NO drawbacks...  they have the exact same covered footage and privacy as regular balconies.  Yes, if you go out to the edge of the balcony, you can be seen.   But that is not really any drawback.   ( A non-covered balcony would IMHO be a huge drawback )

We were in one of those Caribe cabins, and it was really great!

If this is an adjoining cabin, then, now that you have the new category, you can simply switch to any other available cabin that is not adjoining.   The cruise deck plans on other major web-sites actually show the adjoining door on the diagram.   On Princess, simply go to select a cabin, and when you click on an available cabin the information will come up that will tell you if it is adjoining the next cabin or not.

Enjoy!

(PS:  yes, there might some confusion about the names for the cabin categories.   Premium means it is a premium cabin, because of the larger balcony.  On Royal class ships,  Royal and all ships after, Deluxe Balcony refers to a cabin where the actual cabin interior is a bit bigger, and they fit in a small two seater sofa.

• Like 1