Jewel of the seas & Port Canaveral first timer

29 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think after November it's going to be Wonder and Indy at T1 and Mariner and Jewel T5-  Don't like T5 either

Yup.  I pulled up the link...which let me get all the way into the start of next year.  🙂 

Wow...4 ships home ported at PC...love it!   And I remember begging and hoping we would get a second ship...my how things have changed!  🤗

Yeah, T#5 reminds of the "new" terminal and parking area in Tampa.  

On 8/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, Hans Solo said:

We always arrive the day before our departure and spend the night at a hotel near the port.  All it takes is one major motor vehicle crash on I 95 ( speaking from experience) to delay you from getting to the port on departure day without being stressed out about using your trip insurance.  As others have already posted,  arrive at the parking garage earlier to get a parking space close to ground level to make it easier to leave after the cruise.

THANKS for the advice!  YES! We plan on getting in a day or two before we head out.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, rizkeeper said:

Tagging along on this thread, we are on the Jewel for 8 days starting 11/19..we are platinum with Carnival, but this is our first Royal cruise. The ship doesn’t appear overly large, and the layout and deck designs seem to maximize outdoor spaces and interior window side seating and eating. Looks like a great ship!!   Having said all that, anyone know why there is a helicopter landing pad on the bow?  Seems like a better spot for a pool and water slides. 

582604BE-52D6-4091-829D-B2FFA664EB98.jpeg

One thing that is really neat about  Royal ships is that they often have the bow of the boat open so passengers can walk out to the bow.  One of our cruises they had to airlift a passenger from Coco Cay..... the helicopter landed on the dock- NOT the ship, but  it makes sense why a pad is there. 

We have been on other Radiance class ships- we really have enjoyed them because of all the glass.  Jewel was one I always wanted to go on because of the very high reviews.  DH and I are platinum on Princess and on Royal.  We like both lines  I generally pick for itinerary, ship, price and port.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, twangster said:

As far as Port Canaveral goes I like the accessibility of the port to the public in general. 

Port Everglades is a fortress.  No one would go to Port Everglades if not going on a cruise, in fact you can't really.  The Port of Miami doesn't really lend itself as a port to drop by and enjoy the port without a cruise either.

Port Canaveral is a place where you can go and find many restaurants/bars and other attractions so that you could go there without being booked on a cruise.   As a cruise guest that's easier when sailing from terminals 1 and 3 and less so for terminals like 5 and higher yet a local can go to PCN and enjoy the port without being booked on a cruise at all and that is rare for many cruise ports in the US.  For example there is a campground at PCN for folks that have nothing to do with a cruise.

That is one of the things that drew us to PC!  since we had spent 2 months there last winter DH and I both agreed that this was one of our favorite ports because you cold be so close to the ships. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Gabrielle R. said:

LUCKY YOU!!!  We really fell in love with this area last year.  People are friendly and we just liked the feel of this area.

LOL...luck has nothing to do with it.  Planning.  😉  

Actually, until 2015...we lived on Merritt Island 2 miles away.  Could hear the ship's horns as they departed, and simply took a taxi to the port from our home.  Nice to keep the vehicle in the home garage while we cruised.  🙂   

Now we drive to the port, since we moved, and enjoy parking at the port (but prefer T#1 in the garage). 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, Hans Solo said:

We always arrive the day before our departure and spend the night at a hotel near the port.  All it takes is one major motor vehicle crash on I 95 ( speaking from experience) to delay you from getting to the port on departure day without being stressed out about using your trip insurance.  As others have already posted,  arrive at the parking garage earlier to get a parking space close to ground level to make it easier to leave after the cruise.

There is limited ground level parking at T5 for oversized vehicles (i.e. campers). the first level you can park a regular vehicle on is level 2 where the collection kiosks (and the terminal entrance) are located. Try to park on one of the outer rows away from the ramps, because they jam up completely once everyone gets back to their cars because T5 collects their fees when you depart and not when you enter (and there are only two working kiosks).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gabrielle R. said:

Is there an app that DH and I will need to have on board?

Older ships like Jewel do not have "smart" TVs, so there is no way to do things like checking account balances, booking reservations, viewing menus, etc. on the TV. The only way to do those things on older ships is through the app.

• Like 2

Just now, orville99 said:

Older ships like Jewel do not have "smart" TVs, so there is no way to do things like checking account balances, booking reservations, viewing menus, etc. on the TV. The only way to do those things on older ships is through the app.

Which is one of the biggest reasons I finally got the app when restart happened.  On those smaller ships, I would have to visit GS desk to check my balance.  😕

Now that I have it...I love it.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, orville99 said:

There is limited ground level parking at T5 for oversized vehicles (i.e. campers). the first level you can park a regular vehicle on is level 2 where the collection kiosks (and the terminal entrance) are located. Try to park on one of the outer rows away from the ramps, because they jam up completely once everyone gets back to their cars because T5 collects their fees when you depart and not when you enter (and there are only two working kiosks).

Does T5 have handicap parking? My husband can’t walk far or stand for long.

1 hour ago, RedSails1968 said:

Thank you!

We have the same mobility issue with DW's knees. We try to park on the second level, as that is where the entrance to the terminal is located. If you can't find a spot on that level, one thing to look for is the side of the garage where the only elevator is located. We are there again next Sunday, and I will let you know which side of the garage has the elevator once we are on board and get internet access back.

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

We have the same mobility issue with DW's knees. We try to park on the second level, as that is where the entrance to the terminal is located. If you can't find a spot on that level, one thing to look for is the side of the garage where the only elevator is located. We are there again next Sunday, and I will let you know which side of the garage has the elevator once we are on board and get internet access back.

Thank you!

On 8/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, Capt_BJ said:

looking at the port schedule .... JEWEL is scheduled for T-5 in December ....

https://www.portcanaveral.com/getattachment/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules/CPA-Website-Schedule_Aug22-Dec22.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US   

sample page

image.thumb.png.8460a020271a4c86f8e7879f87012e1d.png

image.thumb.png.b38ea39d18b6b8b73d9ffdbb90650659.png

Where would i find that schedule for February 11, 2023??

On 8/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, Hans Solo said:

THAT IS ESPECIALLY TRUE IF YOU ARE FLYING ALSO 🙂  Anyone needing a recommendation for PC, the Resort at the Port is always decent!!