Covid testing - Cruises visiting Greece

SVBing

1 hour ago, tlguinn_2000 said:

Greece cases going down.  

image.png.89bd3d6d8d149fb238193340e6e907f8.png

image.png.1b64ed4e9818f7880726a81e24c61ed9.png

Greece "has had" an uptake in cases.  I wrote this on August 13, after talking with a friend of mine who had traveled to Mykonos in July.  She shared this information with me regarding the reason why cruise ships were still required to have a proctored test before entering any of their ports.  Yes, July had huge spikes and now cases are going down.  Unfortunately, decisions are based on prior(July)information.  Thank you so much for sharing your graphs; however, that does not change the fact of testing at this time.  Of course, the near future could bring a differeent scenario!

Edited by Lastdance

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hopefully the daily COVID cases in Greece continue to go down so hopefully Greece will drop the testing requirement associated with cruise ships. 🤞

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/greece/

Could you PLEASE do something about this?!  I leave in a week and a half.  😂

35 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I think for Greece what they want is an antigen test 3 days before the cruise?

33 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Depends on cruise line. For US passengers it's 2 day on MSC.

Cruise line requirements are all over the place – makes me think they are having trouble interpreting the Greek government requirements.  I have read that some cruise lines are requiring testing before boarding anywhere in the world, if the cruise stops at any Greek ports (even weeks later...).  But I checked with the folks on recent Azamara cruises that start in Italy but end in Greece, and Azamara isn't requiring any testing at all before boarding.

• Like 2

I travel with NCL mid October, their instructions are very clear, you only need a Covid test if I embark at the start of my journey from Athens or Crete, I have messaged them as I do stop in Athens along the way , however I will not need to do a test. (it is odd they only need it if I start my journey in Greece)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, San01 said:

I travel with NCL mid October, their instructions are very clear, you only need a Covid test if I embark at the start of my journey from Athens or Crete, I have messaged them as I do stop in Athens along the way , however I will not need to do a test. (it is odd they only need it if I start my journey in Greece)

Yes, like we said the cruise lines are all over the place with this. You're lucky.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tring said:

Perhaps it is different for other nationalities, but with a UK passport there is no need for any tests or even proof of vaccine:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece/entry-requirements

Sounds to me like some cruise lines are going by outdated information, but others are more up to date.

Not necessarily.  I have a UK passport and I AM required to show proof of vaccination.  

My cruiseline requires it, so even if Grece doesn't, I still need to comply with the cruiseline if I want to sail.  It's not exactly a hardship to provide.  By the same token, not a hardship to take a test either.  I'm just happy to be travelling so I'll stay on top of cruiseline and govt requirements and jump thru whatever hoops necessary !

38 minutes ago, tring said:

Perhaps it is different for other nationalities, but with a UK passport there is no need for any tests or even proof of vaccine:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece/entry-requirements

Sounds to me like some cruise lines are going by outdated information, but others are more up to date.

I can’t seem to find the section where it talks about passengers with a UK passport being exempt from having to provide a negative COVID test when embarking on a cruise ship in Athens.

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I can’t seem to find the section where it talks about passengers with a UK passport being exempt from having to provide a negative COVID test when embarking on a cruise ship in Athens.

You do need to scroll down the page to read the entry requirements.

16 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Not necessarily.  I have a UK passport and I AM required to show proof of vaccination.  

My cruiseline requires it, so even if Grece doesn't, I still need to comply with the cruiseline if I want to sail.  It's not exactly a hardship to provide.  By the same token, not a hardship to take a test either.  I'm just happy to be travelling so I'll stay on top of cruiseline and govt requirements and jump thru whatever hoops necessary !

Yes cruise lines may, (and often are), still requiring vaccination proof and testing, but that is not a specific requirement by Greece.  Though, as I said in my previous post, some cruise lines are perhaps not up to date with the Greek requirements.

What your cruise line wants for you to sail is another matter entirely to the requirements by Greece for entry into Greece.

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, tring said:

You do need to scroll down the page to read the entry requirements.

I’m sorry, but I can’t find any reference to boarding a cruise in Greece, just entering Greece by air or land.

All travellers

Additional restrictions on entry by air

Air connections with Greece are liable to suspension or amendment, sometimes at short notice. If you are due to fly to or from Greece, you should contact your airline or operator for the latest information.

Additional restrictions on entry by land borders

Greece’s land borders are subject to restrictions at present. Monitor official information from the Greek authorities on any changes to border arrangements. You should also refer to the ‘Coronavirus’ page for details of how local or national measures may affect travel across land borders

If you’re fully vaccinated

The following requirements for entry to Greece apply regardless of your vaccination status, and apply to all travellers.

Precise rules are subject to change and you should follow any instructions given on arrival at immigration or airport testing facilities. For more information, check the Greek authorities’ advice.

Passengers arriving in Greece do not need to show a proof of COVID vaccination, a negative COVID test, or a certificate of recovery from COVID. You do not need to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF).

Travellers are still required to wear a mask on public transport.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I was looking through the Celebrity testing requirements for Greece (under their Italy requirement) today and came across this statement under “Please Note” about half the way down on the below link. I just hope one day soon NCL and Princess notice this distinction 

PLEASE NOTE:

• For all sailings visiting Greece, self-tests will not be accepted. Guests who are required to test must complete a supervised COVID-19 test from either an antigen test result taken within 2 days prior to boarding or a negative PCR test result taken within 3 days prior to boarding. The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative. We are pleased to make supervised test kits available for order pre-cruise below. Fully-Vaccinated** Guests and Unvaccinated Guests may be subject to additional mid-cruise testing.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements

Has anyone tested in Greece and if so where did you get your test taken and how much was it?  We will be arriving in Athens 3days before the cruise leaves so we need to get tested in Greece.  I would like to hear of anyone's experience with testing in Athens.

2 hours ago, Stowaway11 said:

Has anyone tested in Greece and if so where did you get your test taken and how much was it?  We will be arriving in Athens 3days before the cruise leaves so we need to get tested in Greece.  I would like to hear of anyone's experience with testing in Athens.

Your hotel will be able to provide you with that information.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:17 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

I was looking through the Celebrity testing requirements for Greece (under their Italy requirement) today and came across this statement under “Please Note” about half the way down on the below link. I just hope one day soon NCL and Princess notice this distinction 

PLEASE NOTE:

• For all sailings visiting Greece, self-tests will not be accepted. Guests who are required to test must complete a supervised COVID-19 test from either an antigen test result taken within 2 days prior to boarding or a negative PCR test result taken within 3 days prior to boarding. The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative. We are pleased to make supervised test kits available for order pre-cruise below. Fully-Vaccinated** Guests and Unvaccinated Guests may be subject to additional mid-cruise testing.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements

I am cruising Oct. 5 on Celebrity, leaving from Rome, but visiting Greece.  As of now, we must test prior to boarding.  My question: what does “Guests who are required to test . . . “ mean?  What guests would be required to test vs guests who AREN’T required to test?