What to do in NASSAU in NOVEMBER?

longislandblue

Last November we did a food and cultural tour with TruBahamian food tours. We met them right near the ship and they took us around to various restaurants sharing the food and culture of the Bahamas. It honestly was the best independent tour we’ve ever done. My husband still talks about how much fun we had with our guide Lisa. We were back in Nassau this spring and made it a point to revisit two of the restaurants they took us too to get some local food. And we added on the optional adult beverages and it was worth it. 

• Like 2

You might also consider Ardastra Gardens, which has both native and exotic plants and animals.  They also have a flock of trained flamingos that march around an arena.  We thought it was one of the best things in Nassau.  I don't know what their November hours are, but even on an off day, you can probably get a private tour ($50/person), as we did this past February.  We got the place to ourselves!

• Like 1

The air temperature in Nassau in November should be between 65 to 85 degrees F.  The Ocean temperature will be around 80 degrees F.  There will be plenty of people swimming and using water attractions.  But "too cold" is a judgment call for each individual to make for themselves.

As for advice on safety, it's the "big city" of the Bahamas.  Keep in mind all the safety issues that you would in any big city. 

More specifically though, beware of pickpockets in crowded areas.  I have personally caught one trying to take something from the person in front of me in a crowded tourist shop on Bay Street.  Stick to the tourist areas unless with a local guide.  Don't go "over the hill".  You can Google this neighbourhood to find out about it.  It is well known as a high crime area.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:11 PM, longislandblue said:

I've never been to Nassau before. I suspect it would be too cold for a waterpark\beach. Any recommendations? Also any advice on safety, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

Better weather than Miami in Winter, so if people are still swimming, etc. in Miami, guaranteed they will be in Nassau.

I think once we went in February I felt it was too chilly to swim.

I'm sure anybody from north of the mason dixon line would find November in the Bahamas balmy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

Better weather than Miami in Winter, so if people are still swimming, etc. in Miami, guaranteed they will be in Nassau.

I think once we went in February I felt it was too chilly to swim.

I'm sure anybody from north of the mason dixon line would find November in the Bahamas balmy.

We do, my kids have swam in ocean water that was <60 degrees, Memorial Day weekend might be the unofficial beginning of summer but swimming is pretty cold in NJ.

Hire a car, head west to Lyford Cay, have lunch by the pool and then hang out at the Captains' Club Beach by the Yacht Club.

OK, more seriously (you need to be a member of Lyford Cay to get thru the gate), I've been to Nassau many times.  Some of the recommendations above are pretty good, especially the Fish Fry.  I'd pass on going over to any of the hotels; they are just hotels, some gaudy and some not so much.

But I might suggest that you maybe hop off the ship, walk around Bay Street for a few minutes, and then go back onboard and enjoy your ship while everyone else is bustling through Atlantis (which is just a Vegas style hotel) or buying useless stuff at the Straw Market.

10 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Hire a car, head west to Lyford Cay, have lunch by the pool and then hang out at the Captains' Club Beach by the Yacht Club.

OK, more seriously (you need to be a member of Lyford Cay to get thru the gate), I've been to Nassau many times.  Some of the recommendations above are pretty good, especially the Fish Fry.  I'd pass on going over to any of the hotels; they are just hotels, some gaudy and some not so much.

But I might suggest that you maybe hop off the ship, walk around Bay Street for a few minutes, and then go back onboard and enjoy your ship while everyone else is bustling through Atlantis (which is just a Vegas style hotel) or buying useless stuff at the Straw Market.

We loved our hotel beach days! I don’t recall the hotels being gaudy, but we were there for the drinks and beach. Atlantis has the best “lazy River” I’ve ever experienced.

• 1 month later...

I love walking up the hill to John Watling's distillery and drinking the best Pina Colada ever!!  There is a free tour so you get edutainment but the real draw is the yummy drink.  Walk down toward the port to the right and past the pink building.  That street has a chocolate shop, a cigar shop, a wine shop and a really cool hotel.  The street has colorful umbrellas strung over.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2