St Thomas

dandole

It's been quite a few years since I've been to St. Thomas...do they still have the private open air bus tours that you can get in the center of town?  I really enjoyed that in the past.  I'd rather do it at my own convenience without worrying about being on schedule with a cruise excursion.  I know you have to be careful on making sure to get back because of the fact it's not a cruise excursion.  I'm the most careful on that.  Just curious if they are still there by the little "straw market" or did that change?

1 hour ago, dandole said:

It's been quite a few years since I've been to St. Thomas...do they still have the private open air bus tours that you can get in the center of town?  I really enjoyed that in the past.  I'd rather do it at my own convenience without worrying about being on schedule with a cruise excursion.  I know you have to be careful on making sure to get back because of the fact it's not a cruise excursion.  I'm the most careful on that.  Just curious if they are still there by the little "straw market" or did that change?

Good morning, not sure if you are aware, but the Caribbean has its own forum and St Thomas even has a more specific forum...........here is a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/82-st-thomasst-john/

I have been to St Thomas numerous times over the years but maybe my memory is fading......I don't remember a straw market......are you maybe thinking of Nassau?

St Thomas has two piers, Havensight and Crown Bay.  There is a larger shops, etc. area at Havensight and you might pick up such tours there.  Crown Bay pier is smaller, for just two ships.  As suggested, check on the board for St. Thomas.

There isn't a hop on hop off tour on St Thomas.

Some people refer to the open air Vendors Plaza with its blue tents as a straw market. Most vendors there now mostly sell island style clothes and souvenirs.

The taxis at the dock can offer private tours if you ask for one. When they renovated Main Street they removed taxi parking on the street so there are fewer taxis in town soliciting for tours.

Many taxis retired after the storms, but tour company It Could Be Worse is still in business and has a website. Godfrey is still offering tours. Caribbean Historical Tours. There are more, but I can't remember them all!😊

We were just there in March and April and the open air taxi is $4.00pp one way. Very easy !!! 

Yes...the straw market is there but not as many vendors as there used to be. IF there's a ship docked at Havensight we also enjoy the shops there. Unfortunately RCI only docks at Crown Bay now....long time contract.

I don't understand why the question is so hard?  In the center of town are there tours on open air buses of the island offered next to the little straw market?  If you don't know, don't respond.  I know that there are 2 docks.  I've docked at both of them.  Don't define the straw market as an open air market.  Everyone knows what I was referring to.  I haven't been there for 7 years and I was just asking if the tours you could get in town may still be available?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ms411 said:

The taxis that used to be in center of town had to move to the cruise docks or take reservations online.

Sorry that's not what we saw our last two port stops there in March & April. Taxi's still drop off in center of town near the straw market and still plenty cruising the streets "Back To Ship".

• Haha 1

Yes, they are able to drop off in town, but they used to be able to park on Main Street and solicit passengers for island tours. They can't do that now. 

The taxis do park near Vendors Plaza and take people to beaches, back to the ship, or island tours, but not as many as before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, dandole said:

I don't understand why the question is so hard?  In the center of town are there tours on open air buses of the island offered next to the little straw market?  If you don't know, don't respond.  I know that there are 2 docks.  I've docked at both of them.  Don't define the straw market as an open air market.  Everyone knows what I was referring to.  I haven't been there for 7 years and I was just asking if the tours you could get in town may still be available?  

Wow, asking a question and not getting the answer you want, and replying with a rude comment....you do realize you are asking others for help, and then answer so rudely? Pretty sure you will not be getting much more help on this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1