Upper Suite Benefits

oh2cruise

12 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

All this talk about bathrobes, shoe shines, asking (demanding?) for this or that.

It's as if showing up on a cruise is supposed to mean you're 18th century royalty (and the seemingly sometimes silly expectations that go with it).

Sheesh, it's a boat ride. I just want a blankie on my bed. 😅

I know your post was mainly tongue-in-cheek, but expectations should be unreasonably high as Celebrity's pricing for upper suites is also unreasonably high.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Great butlers are even rarer..In my opinion most fall into the middle. Men and women who work four months or more, morning, noon and night, seven days a week, without much training or support. I'd do far worse. The problem is Celebrity charges for and promises a first class experience  without the means to deliver.  When I complain to management they are so quick with a future cruise credit that it's routine for them. I want THIS experience to be a delight.  Getting a few dollars off the next doesn't mean much to me.  

I was on one of the first sailings (Allure) after Royal introduced their Royal Genies. It was not even on par with the average Celebrity Butler. I wrote it up to  being a new program, but they promoted it as if it was really something.

The last straw was my order of buffalo wings - which I had requested pre-cruise. I touched upon it again after boarding and asked if we could get that on our second sea day (as I recall). It didn't show... finally, on the last day of the cruise, I was contacted in the morning and was informed that it would show up at noon. Well, noon came and passed - by a good hour. I called our "Genie" and learned that room service had delivered the wings to another suite (someone got a nice treat)! Yep, that was icing on the cake. The room, however was amazing, as were other aspects of the ship. We had a great time overall.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

Thanks for all your comments.  We probably should have followed up with the Retreat Manager one more time but the last way we wanted to spend our already too short cruise was doing more follow-up, especially after the first conversation didn't change much.

Yes, I went into this realizing we might not get robes (or pajamas) and we were very careful to word our request in a way that we just wanted to know what was possible.  Our follow ups were all focused on whether our butler had asked his supervisor about our request.  We really just wanted an honest answer.

Aside from Galapagos next year which I imagine isn't a true Retreat experience, our next suite experience will actually be in the Yacht Club.  It will be first time on MSC and I am curious how it compares.

I think you will like MSc yacht club, loved the live music with the baby grand in there lounge , outdoor area is great , but restaurant isn’t as good as Luminae, but superior to rccl CK.

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I know your post was mainly tongue-in-cheek, but expectations should be unreasonably high as Celebrity's pricing for upper suites is also unreasonably high.

Well, while I can appreciate (and enjoy) good service, I won't demand or expect on a cruise what I don't expect in daily life.

That's my point. I'm just a simple person, I suppose.

I won't turn into an 18th century tyrannical monarch just because I go on a boat ride.

I've got Edge Villas booked on Beyond for a 7-night Caribbean cruise this January and another on an 11-night Mediterranean cruise this coming August.

I booked the Edge Villas because I wanted a true "infinite veranda," which the Edge Villas appear to offer. Those rooms sold as so-called IVs are terrible if you like sunshine.

I will say that I also booked the Edge Villa for the immediate proximity to the Retreat areas. And bar.

Life's good. 😎

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8
49 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I was on one of the first sailings (Allure) after Royal introduced their Royal Genies. It was not even on par with the average Celebrity Butler. I wrote it up to  being a new program, but they promoted it as if it was really something.

The last straw was my order of buffalo wings - which I had requested pre-cruise. I touched upon it again after boarding and asked if we could get that on our second sea day (as I recall). It didn't show... finally, on the last day of the cruise, I was contacted in the morning and was informed that it would show up at noon. Well, noon came and passed - by a good hour. I called our "Genie" and learned that room service had delivered the wings to another suite (someone got a nice treat)! Yep, that was icing on the cake. The room, however was amazing, as were other aspects of the ship. We had a great time overall.

Tom

I'm hoping the Star level and Genie service is one of quality (but no need to go crazy).

I've booked the Royal Loft Suite and both Star Loft Suites on Harmony of the Seas, taking my family (with two young kids) on a future cruise.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:45 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We found the Disklavier rather glitchy. I should have asked if they'd send someone to play in the early evening for us... lol

Tom

I will certainly play for you.  Wonder if I could cruise at a deeply discounted rate in exchange for playing in the PH suites.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Thanks for all your comments.  We probably should have followed up with the Retreat Manager one more time but the last way we wanted to spend our already too short cruise was doing more follow-up, especially after the first conversation didn't change much.

Totally understand where you are coming from…Always the same with short cruises….There is a dilemma between pressing for good service vs wasting the time you have trying to improve the service levels…In similar circumstances we would probably do as you did.

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

We just got off Infinity today and had the most amazing butler, Walter! We’re back on Infinity in February, but sadly Walter is headed to Beyond before that. 

Walter, you say, is amazing, and moving to the Beyond? Score!

I know who I want to monogram my shoes and shine my robes! 😂

31 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Well, while I can appreciate (and enjoy) good service, I won't demand or expect on a cruise what I don't expect in daily life.

That's my point. I'm just a simple person, I suppose.

I guess I just can't agree with that, even though I feel I'm a simple person too. Sailing in an upper suite on Celebrity is not daily life. When I stay at a holiday inn, I'm happy with a clean room and fresh towels. When I'm paying up for a ritz carlton, my expectations go higher accordingly. They go even higher for a Celebrity RS and above.

• Like 10

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I guess I just can't agree with that, even though I feel I'm a simple person too. Sailing in an upper suite on Celebrity is not daily life. When I stay at a holiday inn, I'm happy with a clean room and fresh towels. When I'm paying up for a ritz carlton, my expectations go higher accordingly. They go even higher for a Celebrity RS and above.

Fair enough and more power to you.

I view an Edge Villa just as a nice balcony room. The proximity to what I want to use is also part of my decision.

Couldn't care less to have the other aspects that come with it.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

42 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Just going on a cruise in a basic room gives you more than you can expect at home (someone to make your bed, cook your meals, serve you, etc.).  So you already are expecting more than you get in daily life. You are just drawing the line in a different place than others as to how much more you expect on a cruise.   And you are booking a specific room type for different reasons than those who book one for the amenities including what a butler can do. 

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, prmssk said:

Just going on a cruise in a basic room gives you more than you can expect at home (someone to make your bed, cook your meals, serve you, etc.).  So you already are expecting more than you get in daily life. You are just drawing the line in a different place than others as to how much more you expect on a cruise.   And you are booking a specific room type for different reasons than those who book one for the amenities including what a butler can do. 

I have someone in my home who makes my bed, performs house chores. They aren't family.

My point is that it seems some might not view service staff as other people just trying to make a living.

Treat them well, always, is my point.

A lot of uptight sentiment over robes. Or shoe shines. Or other things that seem small in the grand scheme.

Live. Peace. Life. 😀

I didn’t see anything in the op’s posts that indicated that they mistreated or didn’t appreciate their service staff. I think their point was that after reading posts by others about over the top treatment in the top suites by butlers and others they were disappointed by their experience. They didn’t let it ruin their cruise and they didn’t make a big fuss over robes. They just gave a review of their experience.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

All this talk about bathrobes, shoe shines, asking (demanding?) for this or that.

It's as if showing up on a cruise is supposed to mean you're 18th century royalty (and the seemingly sometimes silly expectations that go with it).

Sheesh, it's a boat ride. I just want a blankie on my bed. 😅

Yes and no. When you are paying $8k to $20k per person for this upper level suite experience then there is a next level of expectations that absolutely should apply and be delivered upon. 

Otherwise, everyone would just book a regular cabin for $1k - $2k per person. 

• Like 13

Guest 4-2-N-8
18 minutes ago, Midlo said:

I didn’t see anything in the op’s posts that indicated that they mistreated or didn’t appreciate their service staff. I think their point was that after reading posts by others about over the top treatment in the top suites by butlers and others they were disappointed by their experience. They didn’t let it ruin their cruise and they didn’t make a big fuss over robes. They just gave a review of their experience.

Fair enough. (I've now planned to set aside one full sea day to hunt down that stash of robes, regardless!)

Guest 4-2-N-8
10 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yes and no. When you are paying $8k to $20k per person for this upper level suite experience then there is a next level of expectations that absolutely should apply and be delivered upon. 

Otherwise, everyone would just book a regular cabin for $1k - $2k per person. 

Ok, my caribbean cruise is a bargain at a total room cost of $25k for two, while my Mediterranean cruise is about $20k per person. Maybe for the Med cruise I'll want my blankie, but with turn down service. 😄

11 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Ok, my caribbean cruise is a bargain at a total room cost of $25k for two, while my Mediterranean cruise is about $20k per person. Maybe for the Med cruise I'll want my blankie, but with turn down service. 😄

Glad I got my penthouse with move up . Still not cheap , we do music charters on Celebrity but they are older ships and we do royal suites.

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, George C said:

Glad I got my penthouse with move up . Still not cheap , we do music charters on Celebrity but they are older ships and we do royal suites.

I like the interior of the PH and Iconic suites, just way more space than needed for two people. If I bring some family, I'd consider the Iconic. But as for the PH, it has that enormous overhang blocking what could be a nice balcony with expansive views of the sky. I can't understand why they positioned the room where they did.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

3 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I like the interior of the PH and Iconic suites, just way more space than needed for two people. If I bring some family, I'd consider the Iconic. But as for the PH, it has that enormous overhang blocking what could be a nice balcony with expansive views of the sky. I can't understand why they positioned the room where they did.

Totally agree the balcony was the only thing I didn’t like about the edge penthouse.

Guest 4-2-N-8
3 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

PJ's arrived! 

20221111_084108.jpg

PJs? Now I have to set aside another sea day to find that stash of PJs!

Edited by 4-2-N-8

4 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

We just got off Infinity today and had the most amazing butler, Walter! We’re back on Infinity in February, but sadly Walter is headed to Beyond before that. 

I wonder if this is the same Walter we had on the Silhouette a fewf years ago (pre-Covid). "Our" Walter was indeed outstanding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I view an Edge Villa just as a nice balcony room. The proximity to what I want to use is also part of my decision.

Couldn't care less to have the other aspects that come with it.

Totally understand your perspective…you have chosen a room that will suit you.

For many higher suite guests, however, the butler service is important. We are older now, less mobile and enjoy having a butler to look after us…

In our ‘real life’ we are independent but enjoy on our cruises having a rest from making beds, cooking, cleaning…Having breakfast served in our room is a treat as is the occasional lunch or dinner if we are tired…

All of us who book suits may not do so for the same reason….The important thing is that all aspects of the suite experience should be met.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1