Oceania App?

fink402

This one area Viking seems way ahead of Oceania.  On Viking you can see all the extensions, shore excursions, and book specialty reservations well before you leave your house.

Once you are on the ship seeing the menus and daily activities amongst other things as well as your complete personal calendar.

With Oceania it seems the only thing I can do is submit passport info and book excursions on a browser before I leave.

I haven't experienced the TV yet as our first cruise with Oceania is upcoming.

This does seem an area they are behind pretty much behind everybody in.

Edited by zalusky

4 minutes ago, zalusky said:

This one area Viking seems way ahead of Oceania.  On Viking you can see all the extensions, shore excursions, and book specialty reservations well before you leave your house.

Most people are able to book excursions/specialty restaurants  online  before leaving home  with Oceania 

Not sure why  you need an app for that ??

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Once you are on the ship seeing the menus and daily activities amongst other things as well as your complete personal calendar.

With Oceania it seems the only thing I can do is submit passport info and book excursions on a browser before I leave.

I haven't experienced the TV yet as our first cruise with Oceania is upcoming.

This does seem an area they are behind pretty much behind everybody in.

IMO, just not that important on a cruise line with small ships and excellent customer service.

• Like 1

This is not a simple question, and the answers are complex.  

I think O does need an "app".  Apps (the software that these apps are derived from) are MUCH more than just for customer convenience.  They inform and integrate ship's operations, provisioning, accounting and so much more.  These systems are not cheap, but are necessary to keep companies up with the times.

I've seen the affects  of ancient, dueling, legacy software systems attempting to function together and the cure is always so much more painful than if the disease had been prevented in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

This is not a simple question, and the answers are complex.  

I think O does need an "app".  Apps (the software that these apps are derived from) are MUCH more than just for customer convenience.  They inform and integrate ship's operations, provisioning, accounting and so much more.  These systems are not cheap, but are necessary to keep companies up with the times.

Do pax  have  access to those  things  provisioning  accounting etc??

Maybe O has them  for those operations  or do you have insider info that they do not?

Just now, LHT28 said:

Do pax  have  access to those  things  provisioning  accounting etc??

Maybe O has them  for those operations  or do you have insider info that they do not?

You miss my point.  Apps like Medallion grow out of significant changes to software integration.  And software upgrades and integration is necessary to ANY business.  This is about more than just what the customer sees on their smart phone.  

Do I have insider information??? Of course not.  However, I am capable of extrapolating that a lack of an "app" means that the systems in place do not allow for it.  Was I not being clear?  Tell my how Lyn, I could have explained my position better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

You miss my point.  Apps like Medallion grow out of significant changes to software integration.  And software upgrades and integration is necessary to ANY business.  This is about more than just what the customer sees on their smart phone.  

Do I have insider information??? Of course not.  However, I am capable of extrapolating that a lack of an "app" means that the systems in place do not allow for it.  Was I not being clear?  Tell my how Lyn, I could have explained my position better.

Maybe O has an APP for their operations  but  has not chosen to expand to the PAX

Some of us  (me)  are not into APPS   for everything in life

I dislike  them   though I am sure many people find them helpful in their daily lives

JMO

I agree with F.F. that on a smaller ship it's really not necessary.  Not like the mega ships.

On the other hand, apps are becoming more a part of our daily life.  Tickets to concerts and sporting events are almost all on apps now.  One would have to go out of their way to get the tickets by any other means.

With that said, I don't want to be on a cruise vacation and have to use an app. All the information I need is in Currents and if we want to look at our bill, it's on the TV. 

• Like 2

I have no need for an app.  The TV in each stateroom provides ample information such as menus, daily activities, weather, account activity and reservations.  All pre boarding reservations for tours, dining, and others are made on the website.  That’s just me.

• Like 5

Not sure how APPS work on the ship  but  in July  our major phone/cable supplier  went down for several days in some areas

No cell/tv/internet service   people who had booked concert tickets on the app could not show them at the gate  ..it was a mess all around

Sometime the old ways  are better

JMO

• Like 2

To each his own.  I love knowing everything is in one place.  On my phone I can check my home:

• Security Cameras
  • Water Usage and notifications for leaks
  • Irrigation circuits
  • All the light switches and schedules
  • Solar Panels
  • Furnace 
  • Washer/Dryer status
  • BBQ Propane tank level
  • Car status
  • Door locks
  • Credit cards
  • Fast food order and pay
  • All my streaming and DVR recordings
  • All my photos and backups of passports/medical/licenses/...
  • All our calendar events of what has and will happen.
  • Old receipts from places like Costco are all online

• Why should I want to carry around dailies.  
  • Maybe I am on a shore excursion and need to make a decision of eating at the port, or eating at the ship.  
  • Contacting the ship for an emergency or other question
  • Confirmation of some request without looking at a phone message.
  • Exact port times and back at ship rules.
  • Where to meet for things

I am sure I can think of a lot of other things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zalusky said:

To each his own.  I love knowing everything is in one place.  On my phone I can check my home:

• Security Cameras
  • Water Usage and notifications for leaks
  • Irrigation circuits
  • All the light switches and schedules
  • Solar Panels
  • Furnace 
  • Washer/Dryer status
  • BBQ Propane tank level
  • Car status
  • Door locks
  • Credit cards
  • Fast food order and pay
  • All my streaming and DVR recordings
  • All my photos and backups of passports/medical/licenses/...
  • All our calendar events of what has and will happen.
  • Old receipts from places like Costco are all online

• Why should I want to carry around dailies.  
  • Maybe I am on a shore excursion and need to make a decision of eating at the port, or eating at the ship.  
  • Contacting the ship for an emergency or other question
  • Confirmation of some request without looking at a phone message.
  • Exact port times and back at ship rules.
  • Where to meet for things

I am sure I can think of a lot of other things.

Works great until your phone runs out of charge, quits working for some unknown reason, has no signal, etc.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Not sure how APPS work on the ship  but  in July  our major phone/cable supplier  went down for several days in some areas

No cell/tv/internet service   people who had booked concert tickets on the app could not show them at the gate  ..it was a mess all around

Sometime the old ways  are better

JMO

Tickets can be downloaded and stored to a file on a smart phone well in advance of the concert or game .  On the iPhone, it's Apple Wallet. There is most likely something similar on other phones. If you do this, you don't have to depend on the internet or wifi working at the venue.  I've done this a number of times now with tickets and it works great.

• Thanks 1

Zalusky…my brother-in-law died and his wife died suddenly a few years ago without leaving a note anywhere with his computer or phone passwords. He was a techie and was security head of a major tach company. My wife was the executor of the estate and even bringing in the best tech experts we could hire could not crack his security. It took almost two years to find everything because there were no paper backups…everything was scanned. Sometimes the “unintended consequences” of managing everything on an iPhone and a computer can be devastating. All my passcodes and access directions are on paper stored in a safe deposit box that both my wife and my legal firm have access to. We learned our lesson. For those of us who were techies in the old days it only took having a hard drive failure to teach us the lesson to back up immediately everything from then on.

• Like 6

Yep!

I have the pictures pictures of my grandparents and great grandparents . They’re special to me. Today, people take digital photos and send them to the “ Cloud”. They die and no one has the passwords to retrieve them. The Cloud eats them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

Zalusky…my brother-in-law died and his wife died suddenly a few years ago without leaving a note anywhere with his computer or phone passwords. He was a techie and was security head of a major tach company. My wife was the executor of the estate and even bringing in the best tech experts we could hire could not crack his security. It took almost two years to find everything because there were no paper backups…everything was scanned. Sometimes the “unintended consequences” of managing everything on an iPhone and a computer can be devastating. All my passcodes and access directions are on paper stored in a safe deposit box that both my wife and my legal firm have access to. We learned our lesson. For those of us who were techies in the old days it only took having a hard drive failure to teach us the lesson to back up immediately everything from then on.

Not a problem.  We both use 1password - All passwords are in an cloud encrypted vault accessible to both of us including all our 2 factor codes on our phones as well as our tables an desktops.  There is always a local copy.  The cloud is for syncing changes and updates.  

That cloud also allows document storage as well as data attributes like licenses, URLs, Vaccination Cards, ...

I also have a document stored in the encrypted that she can read that explains all the stuff I know about the house.

Edited by zalusky

1 hour ago, basor said:

Works great until your phone runs out of charge, quits working for some unknown reason, has no signal, etc.....

The new phones coming out this fall will have satellite backup to your local signal.  T-Mobile is great in that I can use it on my 55+ discount plan that gives me:

1 year AAA

$10 monthly discount of of YouTube TV

Included Netflix

Included International data

Discounted senior plan for me and my wife

1 year Paramount Plus

$10 of of Philo TV

And satellite access coming to new phones - https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

25 minutes ago, zalusky said:

The new phones coming out this fall will have satellite backup to your local signal.  T-Mobile is great in that I can use it on my 55+ discount plan that gives me:

1 year AAA

$10 monthly discount of of YouTube TV

Included Netflix

Included International data

Discounted senior plan for me and my wife

1 year Paramount Plus

$10 of of Philo TV

And satellite access coming to new phones - https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-takes-coverage-above-and-beyond-with-spacex

I pay less on Verizon with almost the same features but still don't feel comfortable relying totally on a cell phone for important documents, etc.  I am glad you are and we each have a choice...

5 minutes ago, basor said:

I pay less on Verizon with almost the same features but still don't feel comfortable relying totally on a cell phone for important documents, etc.  I am glad you are and we each have a choice...

Please, I am curious can you match up the Verizon features to my list and tell me your monthly bill for 2 lines.

3 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Please, I am curious can you match up the Verizon features to my list and tell me your monthly bill for 2 lines.

I think it is time to get back to the topic of Oceania App not a discussion on cell phones

• Like 4