Another Insurance

Sorry I know insurance has been done to the death but after being quoted a substantial amount ( nearly $4000 ) for a Transpacific cruise from Hawaii /Australia and high cost for airfares I have got to come up with answers if my cruise is to happen. By having medical only cruise insurance from Medibank there is a big saving to be had. Obviously not covered for flights, cruise cancelation, luggage, cabin isolation etc ( still have to look at pds ) just wondering if any one has considered this or is  it a big no no.

• Like 1

Why so high - is it age related or prior medical history?  Have a look at Covermore, 1Cover, Tick, Australia Post, and your state motoring organisation's travel insurance.  Also check the travel insurance offered by the airline you are flying with.  And read the PDS, all of it, so you don't have any big surprises!

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Why so high - is it age related or prior medical history?  Have a look at Covermore, 1Cover, Tick, Australia Post, and your state motoring organisation's travel insurance.  Also check the travel insurance offered by the airline you are flying with.  And read the PDS, all of it, so you don't have any big surprises!

Yes age related, tried Covermore $3994  1 Cover not covering International at this stage

25 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Yes age related, tried Covermore $3994  1 Cover not covering International at this stage

Edit.   Just tried Australia Post full comp insurance, looking better  $ 1.628.    $2389 if I add cancelation cover for $5000. Still have to read the PDS I will do it later when my head stops spinning after spending all afternoon looking.

Thank you for your suggestions.🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Today i got domestic cruise cover with 1 cover, their site said they are doing international.

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Today i got domestic cruise cover with 1 cover, their site said they are doing international.

Thanks I will try again, maybe they did not like my age for international travel😟 I will let you know.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

Sorry I know insurance has been done to the death but after being quoted a substantial amount ( nearly $4000 ) for a Transpacific cruise from Hawaii /Australia and high cost for airfares I have got to come up with answers if my cruise is to happen. By having medical only cruise insurance from Medibank there is a big saving to be had. Obviously not covered for flights, cruise cancelation, luggage, cabin isolation etc ( still have to look at pds ) just wondering if any one has considered this or is  it a big no no.

After many hours researching we finally too k Qantas worldwide annual multi trip for 83 yr old DH unlimited trips up to 45 day max, full comp policy covering medical covid cancellations etc etc. pre existing we’re diabetes type 2, hypertension and cholesterol all very well control but all automatically coveted. $2597 which we thought great as it is going to cover South Africa 4 weeks, Syd to Hawaii return cruise, and Alaska cruise at least. 1 cover is great for domestic when you are under 80 but won’t cover international. 
some multi annual worldwide were more than double Qantas prices which are for over 70 as well so 83 was fine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

After many hours researching we finally too k Qantas worldwide annual multi trip for 83 yr old DH unlimited trips up to 45 day max, full comp policy covering medical covid cancellations etc etc. pre existing we’re diabetes type 2, hypertension and cholesterol all very well control but all automatically coveted. $2597 which we thought great as it is going to cover South Africa 4 weeks, Syd to Hawaii return cruise, and Alaska cruise at least. 1 cover is great for domestic when you are under 80 but won’t cover international. 
some multi annual worldwide were more than double Qantas prices which are for over 70 as well so 83 was fine

Thanks guys I will research that.🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

AS Cbtours said 1 cover will not cover international once you reach that magic age of 80🙁

3 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Whether you take out medical only cover depends on how much you are prepared to lose if you have to cancel and how likely it might be that you may need to cancel.

We have done this a couple of times for local cruises where we could lose a couple of thousand.

Have a look at Insure and Go. I have found that their extra premium for existing medical conditions, not automatically covered, is quite reasonable.

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

That's better. A couple of others to look at tomorrow - Insure and Go and COTA.

Insurance and Go would not give me a quote on line and wanted me to phone them, gave up after 35min.  I will have a look at Cota. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Are you sure this covers cruising.  When I read the Target Market for Annual Multi Trip Insurance for 70+  it states this is suitable for " those who do not wish to pay additional premium for the cover to apply to travel by river or ocean cruising", unless there is somewhere else in the application process to apply for cruise cover.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Whether you take out medical only cover depends on how much you are prepared to lose if you have to cancel and how likely it might be that you may need to cancel.

We have done this a couple of times for local cruises where we could lose a couple of thousand.

Have a look at Insure and Go. I have found that their extra premium for existing medical conditions, not automatically covered, is quite reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used insurance and  Go before but I was under 80 yrs then. They would not give me a quote online this time and I tried to phone, after 35 min I gave up.Will try again another day. Do not intend to cancel but things do happen having said that may have to leave out cover for cruise cancel to cut cost and take a chance. There is also the flight to Hawaii that I really should get cover for. Cost since the start of Covid sure has sky rocketed plus extra cost for turning 80 yrs. May have to stick to domestic cruising after this one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Are you sure this covers cruising.  When I read the Target Market for Annual Multi Trip Insurance for 70+  it states this is suitable for " those who do not wish to pay additional premium for the cover to apply to travel by river or ocean cruising", unless there is somewhere else in the application process to apply for cruise cover.

I had phone conversations with very helpful staff and went through everything we were planning. It is underwritten by NIB

2 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used insurance and  Go before but I was under 80 yrs then. They would not give me a quote online this time and I tried to phone, after 35 min I gave up.Will try again another day. Do not intend to cancel but things do happen having said that may have to leave out cover for cruise cancel to cut cost and take a chance. There is also the flight to Hawaii that I really should get cover for. Cost since the start of Covid sure has sky rocketed plus extra cost for turning 80 yrs. May have to stick to domestic cruising after this one.

We are doing our bucket list items this year while we have an annual policy then it’s domestic cruising and travel in Australia after that.

10 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

We will be in that situation next year when hubby turns 80. Will have to hurry and book things before he reaches that but then one the other day, not sure if it was Insure and Go, wouldn't insure more than 120 days before trip if over 80. Certainly is minefield.

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

We are doing our bucket list items this year while we have an annual policy then it’s domestic cruising and travel in Australia after that.

That is the way to go. Something we intended to do and the Covid got in the way and the start of 2022 the wife was unfortunate enough to get breast cancer and in the mean time when we were not looking we were in our 80s. Not complaining though, most important is I still have my wife who responded well to the treatment and thanks to the wonderfull staff at the Hospital.😊  As they say do what you can while you can.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

We will be in that situation next year when hubby turns 80. Will have to hurry and book things before he reaches that but then one the other day, not sure if it was Insure and Go, wouldn't insure more than 120 days before trip if over 80. Certainly is minefield.

Yep soon as you turn 80 things become very frustrating especially when you are still very fit and think you are still 40. Funny how every one around you age except yourself 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

I didn’t think that Insure and Go had automatically covered medical conditions.

4 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

1 Cover aren’t covering cancellation due to Covid

Correct but they are covering medical due to covid. Currently most companies have some reasonable cancellation conditions for covid (i.e credit) if you are unable to cruise.

• Like 1

Depends on why you want Insurance. For example, I do not insure to be able to make "small" claims - I insure to protect us from "disaster" - so in regard to our house/contents Insurance we take the highest excess they offer. I have never made a claim on our house Insurance in over 50 years  - but have paid a small fortune in Premiums over that time - so now, if I were to have a loss of say $5000 , I can easily support that myself - however a loss of $50,000+ leads to the territory of disaster. An excess value of $5000 leads to considerably cheaper premiums. This "Medical only" insurances sounds good to me - I had never heard of it before. 

8 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Yes I cancelled a domestic cruise from Cairns prior to Covid, when Insure and Go wouldn't give me insurance more than four months prior to the cruise.  I had insured with them for years with no claims.

9 hours ago, JohnGc said:

That is the way to go. Something we intended to do and the Covid got in the way and the start of 2022 the wife was unfortunate enough to get breast cancer and in the mean time when we were not looking we were in our 80s. Not complaining though, most important is I still have my wife who responded well to the treatment and thanks to the wonderfull staff at the Hospital.😊  As they say do what you can while you can.

All the best to you and your wife 🥰 you never know what is around the corner so make every day count. Hope you get the insurance sorted.

Frank and I both lost our spouses to cancer within three months of each other almost 18 years ago. We met right after that, (long story short - someone told the pastor of my church where I was office manager they should hear this “dynamo from South Africa” lol. he came and was invited back every time he came to Australia. Eventually me, who was never getting married again, found myself in love again and we have now been very happily married 14 years). We know what it is to lose a loved one so we definitely make we live every day as if it were our last.

99D3F569-0D59-4237-8F83-2AA156219851.jpeg

Edited by Cbtours
  • Like 6