Electric wheelchair backup

BCSites

We are going to Bermuda next June and my husband is unable to walk and uses an electric wheelchair all the time. We are taking this on our Royal Caribbean Cruise but I was wondering if we are allowed to take his folding Manuel one along as a backup in case something happens. Is this allowed? Would we put a luggage tag on it and check it with our other luggage or would I have to keep it with us until we get on the ship and in our room? We are driving to the port so won't have to worry about that area. He doesn't want to just take the Manuel one and have me push him the whole cruise. I checked into renting something but the cost is to much since he already has one he can use. He only has use of his right hand and I don't think trying to learn to use a scooter would be beneficial to him or the other people on the cruise ship trying to get out his way while he learns to drive it. 

You can take both.  We have had a manual wheelchair and a scooter on Royal Caribbean at the same time.  The manual wheelchair just folds up and is put in the corner of the room.   I personally wouldn't check the manual wheelchair with the luggage and would keep it until you get to your room.   

Does the electric wheelchair fold up?   You will need to be able to get it inside your room.   

Contact Royal's Access Department and let them know you will be bringing mobility equipment.  

Here is a link with more information:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

You can put a baggage tag on it and the porters will deliver it to your cabin along with your other suitcases. 

You might easily slide the manual chair while folded under a bed to help keep it out of the way. Your steward can help get it under or may have an alternative place to store it.

I assume you have an accessible cabin?

10 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

You can take both.  We have had a manual wheelchair and a scooter on Royal Caribbean at the same time.  The manual wheelchair just folds up and is put in the corner of the room.   I personally wouldn't check the manual wheelchair with the luggage and would keep it until you get to your room.   

Does the electric wheelchair fold up?   You will need to be able to get it inside your room.   

Contact Royal's Access Department and let them know you will be bringing mobility equipment.  

Here is a link with more information:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

The electric wheelchair does not fold but the manual one does. I have completed the form so they know we are bringing this. 

11 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

You can put a baggage tag on it and the porters will deliver it to your cabin along with your other suitcases. 

You might easily slide the manual chair while folded under a bed to help keep it out of the way. Your steward can help get it under or may have an alternative place to store it.

I assume you have an accessible cabin?

Thank you. We do have an accessible cabin. 

3 minutes ago, BCSites said:

The electric wheelchair does not fold but the manual one does. I have completed the form so they know we are bringing this. 

2 minutes ago, BCSites said:

Thank you. We do have an accessible cabin. 

Sounds like you're good to go.  😊

• Like 1

My husband also uses a power chair full time. We always take a folding wheelchair in case of emergency or in case we feel he can handle a transfer to a cab in port. 

My VERY STRONG recommendation is that you keep the manual wheelchair with you as you board! It is a great luggage cart, and can easily keep your carryon items safe and portable while you are waiting to get on board and then to the cabin. I have been happy to have it while grabbing lunch in Oceanview on that first day. And at the end of the cruise, you may even be able to use it to carry all your luggage so you can walk off if you want.

However, if you decide to check it, yes, that will be fine and it will be in your cabin waiting for you.

• Like 3

No worries taking more than one, 8ndeed one cruise that we ended up cancelling I was taking two, a Walker and buying a new chair in Hawaii (it was unavailable 8n Australia at the time and even now cost less than half in Hawaii as it does here, in fac5 would have almos5 paid for the cruise).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No worries taking more than one, 8ndeed one cruise that we ended up cancelling I was taking two, a Walker and buying a new chair in Hawaii (it was unavailable 8n Australia at the time and even now cost less than half in Hawaii as it does here, in fac5 would have almos5 paid for the cruise).

And as an aside…would you have to pay duty on it?  EM

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

And as an aside…would you have to pay duty on it?  EM

No duty on wheelchairs so nope. I guess reasons for the huge price differences are shipping and the way smaller market, the warranty (when they weren’t sold here, maybe even after they were) would have been worthless