Ruby Princess cruise - Auhst

Cruise Raider

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

There is an excellent selection of wines on this sailing.  

This is the best news I have heard all week.  DW and I board the Ruby on 9/17, many thanks for all the updates !!!

Cheers,

Rick & Jeanie

BTW, I'm still going to lug 2 of my favorite  wines - just in case...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

A little help from those of you on board.   We are boarding Sept and doimg our ArriveCAN FORMS.  Which port of entry did you list for Prince Rupert (there are a few listed) thanks

I believe it’s something like the North Cruise Terminal.  

On 9/3/2022 at 12:39 PM, Therese S. said:

Thank you so much for compiling the list, haven’t seen any them.  We enjoy MUTS, also wrapped  in a blanket eating pizza.  

Im happy to hear your new cabin is working out better for you.  We’re in E625 next month, a few cabins away and other side of ship.  Hope its quiet.  

E625 is over the Photo Gallery so you should be ok. 😄

• Like 2

14 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I was wondering if Funch is the piano man in Crooner’s? I think he’s leaving before we board. If you get a chance, I’m wondering who is replacing him? Thank you 😊 

We have been entertained by Funch at Crooners.  Sorry, I just now saw this post and we disembark in the morning.  

7 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

Is Ruby running late into S.F.?    We are boarding today, and bridge cam shows it’s still at sea bound for S.F.  I know bridge cams are not always current, but the time is correct.

Not much help now, sorry.  The WiFi is just not great.  Bon voyage.  

Just checking back in now my WiFi is good again.  

We had an interesting last couple of days that started with the captain coming over the PA system into the cabins on late Monday night / early Tuesday morning.  We were just turning in for the night when the announcement that there was a very ill passenger that required emergency evacuation of the coast of Oregon.  There were sections of cabins on the top three decks that were requested to evacuate their occupants until the airlift could complete their task of removing the passenger for medical care.  Well, I understand that the evacuation was from midnight until after 2:30 AM and people were in the public in their robes.  I could be wrong on the exact times as our deck was not asked to evacuate but both sides of the top three decks and even inside cabin occupants were asked to leave their rooms.  I'm sure the extreme measures were because some people just don't pay attention to the captain's orders and they had to get tough.  Anyway, there were no further announcements but our nephew and his wife inquired around 3 AM if they could return to their rooms and they said it was ok to do so at that time.  I'd have thought they would have made an announcement throughout all the public areas that they could return.  I'm still unsure why the inside cabin occupants had to evacuate, though.  

I'm not sure if that incident delayed us from getting back into SF on schedule but our disembarkation schedule was quick and easy and we off the ship by about 8:30 as they were running ahead of schedule.  Disembarkation was quick and easy, unlike the chaotic one we experienced at the same pier a few weeks ago.  Our luggage was placed in the wrong group so it was a bit hard to find it but our nephew has eagle eyes and spotted it for us. 

It only took about 12 minutes after being out at the curb and our Uber driver loaded us up and we were at home before 10 AM.  

But, back to the cruise, there were a couple more codes called onboard on Tuesday, one for a small fire in the incinerator room and that was taken care of pronto and a medical code for a person in the spa.  So, it was a busy and tiring day for the captain that final day, although the latter code announcement was from the bridge and not by the captain.  

We went to Sabatini's the last night of the cruise.  We made reservations online for earlier dates in the cruise for both the Crown Grill and for Sabatini's and both were changed when we were boarded.  We were not notified of the changes but noticed it when in the app to check the menus.  Due to staffing issues, the Crown Grill was open 7 nights and Sabatini's was open the other 3 days.  I suggest checking your app if there is a special occasion you want to celebrate on a certain day.  It really didn't matter to us but it would have been nice if they notified us.  We prepaid for these two dinners prior to the cruise when we made the reservations online.  Well, there were no vouchers in our cabin, which they expected us to bring.  At the Crown Grill, the reservation showed it was prepaid so there was no real trouble there as it never hit our folio.  But, we were moved to the last night evening of the cruise for our Sabatini's reservation so we had to go to the front desk this morning to have the charge removed.  We were asked if we had proof of payment for our reservation but the WiFi was very poor.  There has to be a better system for this.  Because we cruise on Princess a lot, especially after the restart, they had to weed through pages of charges.  Plus, we had booked a four day cruise for November under the Premier Package which was supposed to include 2 specialty dinners but ended up canceling those bookings for the specialty dinners when we switched to a ten day cruise instead.  Anyway, I finally found those charges at the same time as they did so they removed the duplicate charge from our bill.  I tried putting it on Crew Chat late on the last evening after dinner and a couple of shows but nobody ever got back to me via that method of communication.  I'm surprised at that but at least, the front desk was not busy when we went down there this morning.  

Anyway, dinner was superb at Sabatini's, as was our dinner at the Crown Grill.  At Sabatini's, I really just wanted to eat a lighter meal so, I ordered the soup and split a couple of appetizers with my DH and had two of my own.  I told them I wouldn't be ordering a pasta selection or a main course, so they were very accommodating.  If you've followed my posts, you know I cannot stand to waste food and I also don't like to leave a restaurant so full that I'm uncomfortable so, I tend to order smaller portions.  The soup and a few appetizers was just perfect.  The fondue soup is just incredible.  The burrata with tomatoes was rather bland and the amount of cheese is over the top (as much as I hated to do so, I just couldn't finish it all).  The roasted peppers with anchovies was delish.  The calamari is really good and so was the zucchini and summer squash appetizer.  I did take a few bites of my DH's mushroom risotto, also great.  The service was impeccable.  I tried the dessert with berries covered in a lemon creme that comes in a small martini glass.  It was also very good.  My DH shared a macadamia nut or two from his dessert and put them in my lemon creme.  Oh ... that was a true taste sensation!!  

There was an adult show with a comedian the last night of the cruise.  He was so hilarious (I believe his name was Sean Kent) and didn't think anything was so vulgar or even distasteful that a child couldn't be in the audience.  It's my belief that true comedians don't have to use profanity or vulgarity in their shows to be funny.  I'd go back to see him in a heartbeat ... his comedy was refreshing.  He picked on everyone equally ... so, you wouldn't want to sit in the front if you are overly sensitive to that.  It was all in good fun!!  

The day we were at the Glacier, we met one of the guest services officers out there and he suggested getting a photo by the ship's photographer out there.  Why not??  If it's not good, we wouldn't have to buy it.  Well, come the last day, he asked if we'd seen our photos.  I completely forgot to look.  So, I thanked him for the reminder.  Turns out that the photos taken can be viewed and ordered through the app.  That is an awesome feature!!  They don't print all the photos (they do with some of them, though) out which is great because it creates so much less waste.  Well, I wanted to look to see if the photos on my phone were better than the ones the photographer took before buying it.  Well, that evening when we went up to our cabin, there was a very nicely mounted photo of us at the glacier, compliments of guest services!  Wow ... that is so awesome and such a wonderful surprise!  

While I know the supply chain issue has had an impact on the variety and quality of food / drink on cruiseships, I found we were really happy with what we ordered onboard.  We are both wine drinkers and they had some wonderful wines onboard, while as on our last cruise on the Ruby, just a few weeks ago, they did not.  One of my DHs favorite red wines had gone up quite a bit whereas my chardonnay did not.  The selection in Vines is pretty good.  

The trout dish they served one night in the MDR was outstanding, as was the Alaskan cod.  We were both taking our recommendations from our wait team and they were always spot on!!  We thought the food was great on this sailing and the service was also excellent (save the crew chat).  But, I'd rate the cruise a 5 star.  We really had a great time.  BTW, I always text myself the names of the crew that made our cruise so much more pleasurable so, I can include them in my post cruise survey.  There are so many of them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just checking back in now my WiFi is good again.  

We had an interesting last couple of days that started with the captain coming over the PA system into the cabins on late Monday night / early Tuesday morning.  We were just turning in for the night when the announcement that there was a very ill passenger that required emergency evacuation of the coast of Oregon.  There were sections of cabins on the top three decks that were requested to evacuate their occupants until the airlift could complete their task of removing the passenger for medical care.  Well, I understand that the evacuation was from midnight until after 2:30 AM and people were in the public in their robes.  I could be wrong on the exact times as our deck was not asked to evacuate but both sides of the top three decks and even inside cabin occupants were asked to leave their rooms.  I'm sure the extreme measures were because some people just don't pay attention to the captain's orders and they had to get tough.  Anyway, there were no further announcements but our nephew and his wife inquired around 3 AM if they could return to their rooms and they said it was ok to do so at that time.  I'd have thought they would have made an announcement throughout all the public areas that they could return.  I'm still unsure why the inside cabin occupants had to evacuate, though.  

I'm not sure if that incident delayed us from getting back into SF on schedule but our disembarkation schedule was quick and easy and we off the ship by about 8:30 as they were running ahead of schedule.  Disembarkation was quick and easy, unlike the chaotic one we experienced at the same pier a few weeks ago.  Our luggage was placed in the wrong group so it was a bit hard to find it but our nephew has eagle eyes and spotted it for us. 

It only took about 12 minutes after being out at the curb and our Uber driver loaded us up and we were at home before 10 AM.  

But, back to the cruise, there were a couple more codes called onboard on Tuesday, one for a small fire in the incinerator room and that was taken care of pronto and a medical code for a person in the spa.  So, it was a busy and tiring day for the captain that final day, although the latter code announcement was from the bridge and not by the captain.  

We went to Sabatini's the last night of the cruise.  We made reservations online for earlier dates in the cruise for both the Crown Grill and for Sabatini's and both were changed when we were boarded.  We were not notified of the changes but noticed it when in the app to check the menus.  Due to staffing issues, the Crown Grill was open 7 nights and Sabatini's was open the other 3 days.  I suggest checking your app if there is a special occasion you want to celebrate on a certain day.  It really didn't matter to us but it would have been nice if they notified us.  We prepaid for these two dinners prior to the cruise when we made the reservations online.  Well, there were no vouchers in our cabin, which they expected us to bring.  At the Crown Grill, the reservation showed it was prepaid so there was no real trouble there as it never hit our folio.  But, we were moved to the last night evening of the cruise for our Sabatini's reservation so we had to go to the front desk this morning to have the charge removed.  We were asked if we had proof of payment for our reservation but the WiFi was very poor.  There has to be a better system for this.  Because we cruise on Princess a lot, especially after the restart, they had to weed through pages of charges.  Plus, we had booked a four day cruise for November under the Premier Package which was supposed to include 2 specialty dinners but ended up canceling those bookings for the specialty dinners when we switched to a ten day cruise instead.  Anyway, I finally found those charges at the same time as they did so they removed the duplicate charge from our bill.  I tried putting it on Crew Chat late on the last evening after dinner and a couple of shows but nobody ever got back to me via that method of communication.  I'm surprised at that but at least, the front desk was not busy when we went down there this morning.  

Anyway, dinner was superb at Sabatini's, as was our dinner at the Crown Grill.  At Sabatini's, I really just wanted to eat a lighter meal so, I ordered the soup and split a couple of appetizers with my DH and had two of my own.  I told them I wouldn't be ordering a pasta selection or a main course, so they were very accommodating.  If you've followed my posts, you know I cannot stand to waste food and I also don't like to leave a restaurant so full that I'm uncomfortable so, I tend to order smaller portions.  The soup and a few appetizers was just perfect.  The fondue soup is just incredible.  The burrata with tomatoes was rather bland and the amount of cheese is over the top (as much as I hated to do so, I just couldn't finish it all).  The roasted peppers with anchovies was delish.  The calamari is really good and so was the zucchini and summer squash appetizer.  I did take a few bites of my DH's mushroom risotto, also great.  The service was impeccable.  I tried the dessert with berries covered in a lemon creme that comes in a small martini glass.  It was also very good.  My DH shared a macadamia nut or two from his dessert and put them in my lemon creme.  Oh ... that was a true taste sensation!!  

There was an adult show with a comedian the last night of the cruise.  He was so hilarious (I believe his name was Sean Kent) and didn't think anything was so vulgar or even distasteful that a child couldn't be in the audience.  It's my belief that true comedians don't have to use profanity or vulgarity in their shows to be funny.  I'd go back to see him in a heartbeat ... his comedy was refreshing.  He picked on everyone equally ... so, you wouldn't want to sit in the front if you are overly sensitive to that.  It was all in good fun!!  

The day we were at the Glacier, we met one of the guest services officers out there and he suggested getting a photo by the ship's photographer out there.  Why not??  If it's not good, we wouldn't have to buy it.  Well, come the last day, he asked if we'd seen our photos.  I completely forgot to look.  So, I thanked him for the reminder.  Turns out that the photos taken can be viewed and ordered through the app.  That is an awesome feature!!  They don't print all the photos (they do with some of them, though) out which is great because it creates so much less waste.  Well, I wanted to look to see if the photos on my phone were better than the ones the photographer took before buying it.  Well, that evening when we went up to our cabin, there was a very nicely mounted photo of us at the glacier, compliments of guest services!  Wow ... that is so awesome and such a wonderful surprise!  

While I know the supply chain issue has had an impact on the variety and quality of food / drink on cruiseships, I found we were really happy with what we ordered onboard.  We are both wine drinkers and they had some wonderful wines onboard, while as on our last cruise on the Ruby, just a few weeks ago, they did not.  One of my DHs favorite red wines had gone up quite a bit whereas my chardonnay did not.  The selection in Vines is pretty good.  

The trout dish they served one night in the MDR was outstanding, as was the Alaskan cod.  We were both taking our recommendations from our wait team and they were always spot on!!  We thought the food was great on this sailing and the service was also excellent (save the crew chat).  But, I'd rate the cruise a 5 star.  We really had a great time.  BTW, I always text myself the names of the crew that made our cruise so much more pleasurable so, I can include them in my post cruise survey.  There are so many of them.  

That was a great report! Thank you.

• Thanks 1