Ruby Princess cruise - Auhst

Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Was Movies Under the Stars available or was it too cold?  If yes, do you know the titles?  We sail on the Ruby in October and I’ve been trying to compile a list of movies playing 

MUTS was playing when we were on board in July.  Whether you choose to attend based upon weather conditions is your choice.  Many of the movies will also play in the Princess Theater in the afternoon, and may also play on your TV.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Shortly after that, we headed upstairs for Sail Away.  We were set to cruise out at 4 PM but didn’t do so until after 5:30 PM.

Seems that 5:30 may be the new sail-away time.  We had the same thing on the Ruby back in July.  Heard of, but did not see, horrendously long waiting lines out in the terminal resulting in delayed boarding.  So if they didn't complete boarding until past 4, it would explain the delays out until past 5.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Seems that 5:30 may be the new sail-away time.  We had the same thing on the Ruby back in July.  Heard of, but did not see, horrendously long waiting lines out in the terminal resulting in delayed boarding.  So if they didn't complete boarding until past 4, it would explain the delays out until past 5.  

Disclaimer, I don't know.  But could it be tide related since the ship needs to go under the Golden Gate Bridge?  I know the times I've sailed out from San Francisco, the clearance was very "close" to an untrained eye.  I have also read that boarding has been a nightmare.  

@CruiseRaidertexted me about their difficulties posting to CC and asked me to let you know they’d love to answer all your questions but are unable to do so at this time. As soon as the internet works again answers will be forthcoming!  

Here’s a short narrative from today

So, today was rainy and pretty foggy but we had such a perfect day nonetheless.  

We went into Glacier Bay and there is evidently so much ice in the water that we went up John Hopkins and got very close to the glacier, which is rare because ships cannot go up until after the seal pups are safe enough to jump into the water.  I’m pretty sure we’ve not seen that glacier before and it was such a treat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@CruiseRaidertexted me about their difficulties posting to CC and asked me to let you know they’d love to answer all your questions but are unable to do so at this time. As soon as the internet works again answers will be forthcoming!  

Here’s a short narrative from today

So, today was rainy and pretty foggy but we had such a perfect day nonetheless.  

We went into Glacier Bay and there is evidently so much ice in the water that we went up John Hopkins and got very close to the glacier, which is rare because ships cannot go up until after the seal pups are safe enough to jump into the water.  I’m pretty sure we’ve not seen that glacier before and it was such a treat!

thanks so much J

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Is bar soap available upon request for your cabin?

We now have bottles of liquid soap in the cabins.  It’s very lightly scented.  I actually really like it so haven’t looked into the bar soap but when we see our room steward, I will ask him if it is still available.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, LawDog61 said:

So you were able to complete ArriveCAN without uploading test results?    Wondering if they are still required.

Oh yes.  As a matter of fact, this is my third cruise using the ArriveCAN app and I don’t think I’ve ever uploaded my test results to that app.  

On 9/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, SFSailaway said:

Thank you so much for this information on the noisy cabin. We board the Ruby on Sept 7 and are in cabin E624, just three doors down from that noisy cabin and still under the Crown Grill kitchen. I am now packing earplugs. Lots and lots of earplugs. 😂

I am hoping that it is mainly just in that cabin.  If not, E318 has been so pleasant, at least during the night.  I can handle noise if it is during the day.  I was concerned about what is below E630 so checked it out yesterday.  I can only say, it has to be some kind of noisy machinery … probably, like others have mentioned, like the behind the kitchen for the Crown Grill.  
Fingers crossed for you.  Please protect back on your experience.  

On 9/2/2022 at 5:47 AM, palolake said:

If you're talking about Kieron, he is fabulous!!  We had him a couple weeks ago and he set up the same table for breakfast, lunch and then, in a different dining room for dinner also.  Tell him the masked couple from table 433 say hi!

OMG … I am talking about Kieron!  He is FABULOUS!  I told him you said hi last night .. even though I was having trouble posting for the last couple of days, I have still been able to read this. 

18 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Was Movies Under the Stars available or was it too cold?  If yes, do you know the titles?  We sail on the Ruby in October and I’ve been trying to compile a list of movies playing 

It is cold up on deck and very wet on this particular sailing, so there are not many people sitting outside.  We’ve been to many cruises to Alaska in the past and have always watched movies on MUTS … just wrapped up in warm clothing.  Although, the rain and wind make that rather impossible for us.  
In looking at my Patters, I see that they are showing movies at MUTS.  Tonight, there is one showing from 8 - 10 PM.  
they also have movies showing in the Princess theater.  I see one playing from 11 AM to 1 PM and another from 2 - 4 PM.  

These are some of the titles.  

The Personal History of David Cooperfield 

The 355

The Princess Bride

Free Guy

Marry Me

Moilin Rouge

Jungle Cruise

Encanto

Sing2

House of Gucci

Eternals

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Luca

That’s up through today according to the Patters.  

Thanks for doing a live from. Sorry to hear your first stateroom was noisy and I'm glad you were able to change. 

Sounds like a wonderful cruise so far. 

Looking forward to hearing about  the rest of your cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It is cold up on deck and very wet on this particular sailing, so there are not many people sitting outside.  We’ve been to many cruises to Alaska in the past and have always watched movies on MUTS … just wrapped up in warm clothing.  Although, the rain and wind make that rather impossible for us.  
In looking at my Patters, I see that they are showing movies at MUTS.  Tonight, there is one showing from 8 - 10 PM.  
they also have movies showing in the Princess theater.  I see one playing from 11 AM to 1 PM and another from 2 - 4 PM.  

These are some of the titles.  

The Personal History of David Cooperfield 

The 355

The Princess Bride

Free Guy

Marry Me

Moilin Rouge

Jungle Cruise

Encanto

Sing2

House of Gucci

Eternals

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Luca

That’s up through today according to the Patters.  

Thank you so much for compiling the list, haven’t seen any them.  We enjoy MUTS, also wrapped  in a blanket eating pizza.  

Im happy to hear your new cabin is working out better for you.  We’re in E625 next month, a few cabins away and other side of ship.  Hope its quiet.  

Edited by Therese S.
  • Like 1

How is Mr @CruiseRaiderfinding the selection of available red wines?  DH has the drink package on the 17th and we’re wondering if he needs to bring a little something nicer to supplement the wines by the glass that are available.  We don’t mind the up charges (too much lol) just curious if they actually have nicer reds on board to get. 

Thanks for doing the live from!

11 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Thank you so much for compiling the list, haven’t seen any them.  We enjoy MUTS, also wrapped  in a blanket eating pizza.  

Im happy to hear your new cabin is working out better for you.  We’re in E625 next month, a few cabins away and other side of ship.  Hope its quiet.  

The other side of the ship is over the photos … I’m sure that will be very quiet.  

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

How is Mr @CruiseRaiderfinding the selection of available red wines?  DH has the drink package on the 17th and we’re wondering if he needs to bring a little something nicer to supplement the wines by the glass that are available.  We don’t mind the up charges (too much lol) just curious if they actually have nicer reds on board to get. 

Thanks for doing the live from!

There is an excellent selection of wines on this sailing.  
for reds, he has found Seghesio Zinfandel, Silverado Cabernet, Parradux (sp?) cab and even a Jordan cab.  
I did find out they no longer have the wine flights.  It’s definitely not too disappointing as we’ve had an excellent selection of wine at Vines.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Thanks for doing a live from. Sorry to hear your first stateroom was noisy and I'm glad you were able to change. 

Sounds like a wonderful cruise so far. 

Looking forward to hearing about  the rest of your cruise. 

It has been a very wonderful cruise.  
Today, it was raining down in sheets in the morning and continued with drizzle the rest of the day.  We were in Ketchikan and ventured out despite the weather but it wasn’t cold or windy, just rainy.  
im glad we went exploring as we watched the harbor seals playing in the water from the Creek Street bridge.  We were expecting salmon but instead, the seals were a bit of a treat as we’ve not seen them before.  

Of course, back onboard, we were treated to another great dinner in the MDR and a couple of hilarious shows, one by the cruise director staff in the explorers lounge called Hollywood Hiccups and then one in the Princess theater with a professional comedian.  He was so funny without being vulgar.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

There is an excellent selection of wines on this sailing.  
for reds, he has found Seghesio Zinfandel, Silverado Cabernet, Parradux (sp?) cab and even a Jordan cab.  
I did find out they no longer have the wine flights.  It’s definitely not too disappointing as we’ve had an excellent selection of wine at Vines.  

Wonderful DH will have choices so everything lug on can be my whites and dry roses. 

• Like 1

We board on Wednesday and am enjoying your review .

We have Covid tests to do proctored , my fear is we have a problem .

No Covid tests in Reno that will work for us as Labor Day tomorrow and we travel Tuesday .

Did you notice if there was testing at the Pier in case of worst case scenario , a friend was on the cruise before yours and does not remember anyone checking their Covid test results .

4 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We board on Wednesday and am enjoying your review .

We have Covid tests to do proctored , my fear is we have a problem .

No Covid tests in Reno that will work for us as Labor Day tomorrow and we travel Tuesday .

Did you notice if there was testing at the Pier in case of worst case scenario , a friend was on the cruise before yours and does not remember anyone checking their Covid test results .

I am passing this reply along from @CruiseRaideras they are unable to post right now. 

We didn’t notice a line for testing at the pier, which isn’t saying much as we weren’t really looking for it.  We did notice that within the last few weeks since we’ve embarked in San Francisco, they’ve roped off an area for an entry line around the side of the terminal building for passengers to check in.  They are handing out masks in this line as well as checking your vaccination card.  It was pretty open while we checked in but I’m sure it will cut down on the chaos during the busier times.  

I also understand that a certain number of passengers are randomly checked for a secondary check on their ArriveCAN.  Our nephew and his wife, who are also on this cruise were picked.  It took like an extra 2 minutes, if even that during check in.

Another update from @CruiseRaider

Such a fabulous day here in Prince Rupert.  I just love the people here.  While walking down to the local Safeway store (we took a list of items that the crew reluctantly requested), a lady that lived here apologized for the rainy weather.  We stopped and chatted for a bit, telling her that the rain didn’t bother us at all .. we can only wish we had some of that liquid sunshine in California.  But what is so impressive is that she was so kind and friendly to total strangers and thanking us for coming out in the rain!  

There are no more ports of call after this but we love our sea days, too.  

It’s been a very wonderful cruise, especially after we moved to a quiet room.  They are light on entertainment but it hasn’t lessened our enjoyment of our overall experience so far.  The Hollywood hiccups show has some new acts so, it was super funny last night.  The comedian was really good last night as well.  Micca, the CD is still onboard but has a whole new activities staff from last time we were onboard a few weeks ago and they are equally as good.  Things seem a little more low key than on our previous cruise.  The piazza is consistently crowded.  We heard there were 30 kids onboard.  Most have been quite well behaved.  

Service has been pretty quick and mostly accurate.  The food has been mostly excellent.  Our dining room team has been spot on with their recommendations, even though they always want to bring us extra.  I love the smaller portions because I detest wasting food.  I know they are just wanting us to be happy and we really appreciate them on every level.  I just have to stop them from serving us too much food.  The room service orders have been pretty quick.  You really just can’t go wrong with the $3 pizza, IMO.  The street tacos up at the Trident Grill were just blah!  They used to be so good … this time, they have had absolutely zero flavor. 

The staff is incredible .. we’ve been impressed with all of them so far.  I hate when people treat them poorly … they all work so hard.  There’s been some fights at the International Cafe between passengers in line.  The staff still handles it with such grace.  

So, masking is still nearly nonexistent with passengers on this sailing.  There is absolutely no mention of CoVid onboard  and I really don’t think there is a lot of coughing or sneezing that’s I’ve noticed.  

More to come from our next two sea days onboard.

• Thanks 3