Procedure for interrupted land tour pre-cruise positive test

PhotogrFrGal

Want to share our experience after testing positive for covid. We were on Alaska land-first tour portion and took required covid test.  One was positive, other one was negative.  We received call from testing site within half hour of test and told to return to room to await further instructions. We then received call instructing us to pack and be ready to be taken to bus to Anchorage.  They picked us up in a little golf car.  We boarded bus. Several couples already on board.  We were given a pre-packaged lunch and bottled water.  The hotel was just for those isolating.  We were all given an orientation and then room assignments.  There is no requirement to isolate at that hotel.  You do have to pay upfront. Insurance or Princess will then reimburse you.  If you choose to isolate at another hotel, if you sent luggage at beginning as “join me on board”, make sure you tell the assigned hotel your new hotel.  There was some uncertainty about  rescheduling of return flights.  What we found is that it was 5 days from positive test for EZ Air to reschedule flight.  I called on Saturday to reschedule flight.  After everything was done, the CSR from Princess I spoke to called me and said to cancel cruise.  WRONG.  After finding out that doing so cancelled the rescheduled flight, and calling to get the rescheduled flight reinstated, I asked the CSR, what the procedure should have been.  She told me that cancel cruise AFTER the flight home.  

Other notes: Instacart; Walmart; Grubhub; Ubereats all deliver.  The front desk brings to your room.  They also bring ice, towels, etc. If we leave hotel property, we are not allowed back in.  

• Thanks 2

We leave soon for our cruisetour and am worried about that test. Did you feel sick or was it a surprise one tested positive? So many seem to be testing positive it makes me wonder how accurate the tests are. Given there is an incubation period seems so soon after starting the land portion this is happening.

Thank you for your first hand account.

Thank you for sharing your experience and hope everyone is well now. Were you at the Voyager or Aptel or somewhere else? We were eating breakfast at the Captain Cook and saw an employee carrying a tray of a bunch of breakfast sandwiches out the door in the direction of the Voyager. If the Captain Cook supplies the food for those at the Voyager, they’re in luck! 

7 hours ago, jinpasco said:

We leave soon for our cruisetour and am worried about that test. Did you feel sick or was it a surprise one tested positive? So many seem to be testing positive it makes me wonder how accurate the tests are. Given there is an incubation period seems so soon after starting the land portion this is happening.

Thank you for your first hand account.

Yes and no to surprise.  My husband started having what we thought was allergic symptoms. (He has allergies to many things and often he has reactions in new places) Turns out they were covid symptoms.  
Just make sure to wear mask in airport and anywhere in public.  I wore a KN95 mask, but my husband wore cloth mask.  I tested negative. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Thank you for sharing your experience and hope everyone is well now. Were you at the Voyager or Aptel or somewhere else? We were eating breakfast at the Captain Cook and saw an employee carrying a tray of a bunch of breakfast sandwiches out the door in the direction of the Voyager. If the Captain Cook supplies the food for those at the Voyager, they’re in luck! 

We were at Voyager.  There is option to have daily meal plan from Captain Cook for $85 per person per day.  However, you get what they send, no menu options. So, if dietary restrictions, food allergies, etc, that option doesn’t work. We chose to have food delivered from outside.  There’s a fridge, microwave and toaster oven in the room. 

Currently on.  Royal. All in my travel group of 3 tested positive over the last 2 days. All vaccinated and booster Ed and wire masks 95% of time. Most folks not masking at all. Feel pretty poorly. Can’t get engineering to our covid isolation area to discuss heat. Hardly any choices for breakfast or lunch. This is much worse than I anticipated 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhotogrFrGal said:

Yes and no to surprise.  My husband started having what we thought was allergic symptoms. (He has allergies to many things and often he has reactions in new places) Turns out they were covid symptoms.  
Just make sure to wear mask in airport and anywhere in public.  I wore a KN95 mask, but my husband wore cloth mask.  I tested negative. 

First, hope he is well now. I so wanted to blame bad tests!  So little time from testing negative prior to  the land and then testing positive a few days later by Princess. Yours is not the first story where the one wearing a cloth mask has been the one to test positive. I have the kn95 and have no issue wearing it. Hubby wants to wear those blue paper ones because KN 95 ones are too tight. We also have air travel , hotels and restaurants even before the land portion. Wish us luck !! 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Currently on.  Royal. All in my travel group of 3 tested positive over the last 2 days. All vaccinated and booster Ed and wire masks 95% of time. Most folks not masking at all. Feel pretty poorly. Can’t get engineering to our covid isolation area to discuss heat. Hardly any choices for breakfast or lunch. This is much worse than I anticipated 

I am so sorry. Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhotogrFrGal said:

We were at Voyager.  There is option to have daily meal plan from Captain Cook for $85 per person per day.  However, you get what they send, no menu options. So, if dietary restrictions, food allergies, etc, that option doesn’t work. We chose to have food delivered from outside.  There’s a fridge, microwave and toaster oven in the room. 

Thanks for first hand report. Sorry you tested positive.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, PhotogrFrGal said:

Want to share our experience after testing positive for covid. We were on Alaska land-first tour portion and took required covid test.  One was positive, other one was negative.  We received call from testing site within half hour of test and told to return to room to await further instructions. We then received call instructing us to pack and be ready to be taken to bus to Anchorage.  They picked us up in a little golf car.  We boarded bus. Several couples already on board.  We were given a pre-packaged lunch and bottled water.  The hotel was just for those isolating.  We were all given an orientation and then room assignments.  There is no requirement to isolate at that hotel.  You do have to pay upfront. Insurance or Princess will then reimburse you.  If you choose to isolate at another hotel, if you sent luggage at beginning as “join me on board”, make sure you tell the assigned hotel your new hotel.  There was some uncertainty about  rescheduling of return flights.  What we found is that it was 5 days from positive test for EZ Air to reschedule flight.  I called on Saturday to reschedule flight.  After everything was done, the CSR from Princess I spoke to called me and said to cancel cruise.  WRONG.  After finding out that doing so cancelled the rescheduled flight, and calling to get the rescheduled flight reinstated, I asked the CSR, what the procedure should have been.  She told me that cancel cruise AFTER the flight home.  

Other notes: Instacart; Walmart; Grubhub; Ubereats all deliver.  The front desk brings to your room.  They also bring ice, towels, etc. If we leave hotel property, we are not allowed back in.  

You may be lucky with the 5 days. We tested positive yesterday on a 14 Alaskan cruise which will end Saturday in Vancouver. Canada requires 10 day isolation so we will be stuck in a hotel in Vancouver for most of next week 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

You may be lucky with the 5 days. We tested positive yesterday on a 14 Alaskan cruise which will end Saturday in Vancouver. Canada requires 10 day isolation so we will be stuck in a hotel in Vancouver for most of next week 

I hope you get  a hotel with a decent view, it is pretty beautiful there. I was just refreshing my memory about what happens, and it used to say on the CDN. Govt. Site that it was the responsibility of the cruise line to pay for the isolation- not you pay and get reimbursed. I can not find that section today….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

We sailed the Royal in early June. Our friends who tested positive before traveling to the US (the test requirement to fly back to the US was still in effect) were bused by Princess from Vancouver to Seattle. There they stayed only five days in a hotel. Word was the Fairmont was one you shouldn't stay in as though it was nice, it was more like a prison camp. You couldn't even order in food from outside vendors. After one day there our friends changed to a Marriott property which was much more reasonable.

9 hours ago, alanasgpa said:

Wife and I tested positive 2 days prior to disembarking in Vancouver and we ended up staying on the turn around from Vancouver to Whittier 

Did you have that as an alternative choice of wouldn't they let you off in Vancouver?

On 8/31/2022 at 10:09 AM, PhotogrFrGal said:

Aw, that makes sense. It did appear that all food on the tray was uniform. 

5 hours ago, jinpasco said:

Did you have that as an alternative choice of wouldn't they let you off in Vancouver?

They are telling us that there is a very high number of covid patients on board and if there are not enough hotels then people may have to finish the isolation on board and then somehow make their way home from Whittier

1 hour ago, memoak said:

They are telling us that there is a very high number of covid patients on board and if there are not enough hotels then people may have to finish the isolation on board and then somehow make their way home from Whittier

Good to know....did they charge you for another cruise ? Let you out of your room after your 5 days to enjoy your way back ? Interesting.

10 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

Good to know....did they charge you for another cruise ? Let you out of your room after your 5 days to enjoy your way back ? Interesting.

Who knows we have a life back home and pet sitters ready to go on their own vacations. The biggest issue is lack of communication. You test positive have 1 hour to pack up and then are dumped in a cabin in the “red zone”. Yes the signs say red zone and you can’t leave your cabin. Then nothing but food deliveries. You are treated like a pariah. When you ask if they are going to arrange a hotel you are asked if you can pay $500 CDN per night