Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess used to be the same but some bright spark at Princess decided to offer Plus and Premier fares which include drinks packages and made them available on all cruises. Probably to compete with Celebrity.

And to make more money.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think they would make more money on short cruises on the drinks without a package as the younger people will still indulge.

Maybe but with the package the money is in the till, if you know what I mean Mic.🤑

I forgot to mention earlier - my elbows survived 12 showers in that tiny balcony cabin shower unscathed. IMHO that makes the Coral showers better than the ones Golden had. Plus the water pressure was excellent - almost too much for such a tiny shower. Luckily it was adjustable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I forgot to mention earlier - my elbows survived 12 showers in that tiny balcony cabin shower unscathed. IMHO that makes the Coral showers better than the ones Golden had. Plus the water pressure was excellent - almost too much for such a tiny shower. Luckily it was adjustable.

Not a fan of the Coral mini-suite shower/tub. You only get 1/2 the space, as the shower curtain is more clingy than a tipsy cougar. Our only thing for me that was annoying about those cabins.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not a fan of the Coral mini-suite shower/tub. You only get 1/2 the space, as the shower curtain is more clingy than a tipsy cougar. Our only thing for me that was annoying about those cabins.

Keeping the curtain open is not an option.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

But with the package they only have money for the first 3 or 4 drinks per day.

The package gives them a hook to secure bookings.

As much as we loved having Premier package, it really shouldn't be available on short cruises. The XO's were nice last night though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Keeping the curtain open is not an option.

Clingy curtain vs a rolling lake on the bathroom floor. The 1/2 way option is to hang the curtain outside the tub, but the floor still cops it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yes, that is a problem but it's still better than the balcony cabin showers - tiny and also with the curtain issue. I found if I kept the curtain taut around the cubicle it billowed less. I will try that in our minisuite tonight.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that is a problem but it's still better than the balcony cabin showers - tiny and also with the curtain issue. I found if I kept the curtain taut around the cubicle it billowed less. I will try that in our minisuite tonight.

Agree, more elbow and body room in the mini suit bath/shower combo. The shower cubicles in the ordinary cabins are horrible. I still have bruises on my elbow from C333 on Coral lol.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Agree, more elbow and body room in the mini suit bath/shower combo. The shower cubicles in the ordinary cabins are horrible. I still have bruises on my elbow from C333 on Coral lol.

I think I have enough padding for protection lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not so sure. I lost weight on my creme brule diet. Coral Princess has lost their recipe it seems.

I don't know if they are using UHT milk or what it is. Egg custard doth not a brule make.

Creme brulee is essentially a baked egg custard topped with caramelised sugar but with more cream than milk in the custard. Admittedly Princess is a bit light-handed on the cream but it's still reasonably true to the base recipe.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Creme brulee is essentially a baked egg custard topped with caramelised sugar but with more cream than milk in the custard. Admittedly Princess is a bit light-handed on the cream but it's still reasonably true to the base recipe.

They can't follow the recipe. Creme brule should not be split, should be silky smooth and cling to the spoon.

Princess does know how, as I have had dozens of them in the past. I have seen nothing close over the two short Coral cruises. Even the P&O vesion is better than what I have had on Coral, as is the Wicked Sister supermarket offering.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not so sure. I lost weight on my creme brule diet. Coral Princess has lost their recipe it seems.

I don't know if they are using UHT milk or what it is. Egg custard doth not a brule make.

Long life UHT milk and liquid egg from cartons, like they make the omelets with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Long life UHT milk and liquid egg from cartons, like they make the omelets with.

Whenever I have ordered an omelette in the Horizon Court, I have seen the eggs (yolk and white) in a small cup. It is whisked and tipped onto the hot griddle and topping added. They don't use powdered eggs in the Horizon Court and I doubt that they use them in the MDR kitchen. The omelettes in the MDR taste quite OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Whenever I have ordered an omelette in the Horizon Court, I have seen the eggs (yolk and white) in a small cup. It is whisked and tipped onto the hot griddle and topping added. They don't use powdered eggs in the Horizon Court and I doubt that they use them in the MDR kitchen. The omelettes in the MDR taste quite OK.

Not saying powdered eggs, liquid egg in cartons,  I asked to see the carton one time, they contained liquid egg  inc gluten as the wheat thickener. On Coral the other  week in HC omelet station they spooned liquid egg from a steel container into the small omelet pan, not a hot griddle as you state.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not saying powdered eggs, liquid egg in cartons,  I asked to see the carton one time, they contained liquid egg  inc gluten as the wheat thickener. On Coral the other  week in HC omelet station they spooned liquid egg from a steel container into the small omelet pan, not a hot griddle as you state.

Sorry. Yes. You did say 'liquid egg'. I have only seen the Horizon Court omelettes cooked on the very large hotplate where they also cook fried eggs. Maybe they now have omelette pans.

23 hours ago, arxcards said:

They can't follow the recipe. Creme brule should not be split, should be silky smooth and cling to the spoon.

Princess does know how, as I have had dozens of them in the past. I have seen nothing close over the two short Coral cruises. Even the P&O vesion is better than what I have had on Coral, as is the Wicked Sister supermarket offering.

I just had a perfect creme brulee on Coral. Silky and creamy with a really good brulee top with that perfect hint of bitterness. Delish!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just had a perfect creme brulee on Coral. Silky and creamy with a really good brulee top with that perfect hint of bitterness. Delish!

Good to hear.  Was that in MDR?

How have the seas been?

Are you getting off the ship in Brisbane?  The Government/BCC needs to get their act together with regard to public transport.  

16-24 sun partly cloudy Brisbane forecast

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good to hear.  Was that in MDR?

How have the seas been?

Are you getting off the ship in Brisbane?  The Government/BCC needs to get their act together with regard to public transport.  

16-24 sun partly cloudy Brisbane forecast

Yes, it was in the MDR.

No, we've stayed on the ship and are currently sitting in the Sanctuary watching the river traffic and containers being loaded on freight ships.

Unless they run a ferry service to the new terminal we'll probably rarely get off the ship in Brisbane from now on. 

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it was in the MDR.

No, we've stayed on the ship and are currently sitting in the Sanctuary watching the river traffic and containers being loaded on freight ships.

Unless they run a ferry service to the new terminal we'll probably rarely get off the ship in Brisbane from now on. 

That is a shame.  Why not share a maxi taxi to Racecourse Road, Ascot (shops and restaurants) and get him to take you up to Bartley's Hill Lookout, Massey Street, Ascot for great views of the river. There are lots of beautiful Queenslander houses in Ascot and Hamilton.  My daughters went to Ascot State School (Public).

Can recommend FarmRak Signature (That Thai)  at 133 Racecourse Road, Ascot for great dine in or take away food.

Would be a good idea for a local shopping centre to run a free shuttle bus like in Honolulu.  I doubt there will be a ferry service because it would take too long into the city  

• Like 1