Ship sailing capacity

kugamuga

2 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

Cruise lines were intentionally limiting capacity for a time secondary to covid. My interpretation of the OP’s very simple question was is Norwegian continuing to purposefully limit capacity and if so, what’s that free space margin for December. Consensus seems to be the company is selling to capacity if demand will fill the ship. As with so many posts, a simple question has been turned into an opportunity to savor the apparent endorphin release that comes with gnawing at each other’s necks which seems to happen here with regularity.  

Thank you. It was a simple question. I'm not sure why some people jumped to huge conclusions and others sent such ugly responses. Oh my. That's unfortunate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Thank you. It was a simple question. I'm not sure why some people jumped to huge conclusions and others sent such ugly responses. Oh my. That's unfortunate. 

Yes a simple question.  But one that has been asked every month and many times since the restart last September.  There is no answer.

9 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

Cruise lines were intentionally limiting capacity for a time secondary to covid. My interpretation of the OP’s very simple question was is Norwegian continuing to purposefully limit capacity and if so, what’s that free space margin for December. Consensus seems to be the company is selling to capacity if demand will fill the ship. As with so many posts, a simple question has been turned into an opportunity to savor the apparent endorphin release that comes with gnawing at each other’s necks which seems to happen here with regularity.  

Precisely. NCL recently announced that they didn't expect to reach 100% until the first quarter of 2023. I was simple asking what the CURRENT situation is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pickle11 said:

Yes a simple question.  But one that has been asked every month and many times since the restart last September.  There is no answer.

Yes, I am aware. I am also aware that user frequency of this source or site varies by person. For example,  my next sailing is on another line so I'm not on here as much as I am on their threads. My cruise after that one is on NCL. Plus, I take a break from the entire site at times due to the negativity posted here by some users that seem to just like to argue, prove points, point out flaws, challenge others, etc. Just unnecessary behavior. Plus, not everyone lives on CC. And not everyone knows how to use all the features here to obtain information. I dont assume the worse of  people just because they ask a question that other people already talked about. It's really not that serious. if people don't like a question or dont want to repeat themselves, they can just ignore the question. It's so simple. I cant imagine living as grumpy as some people present on here. Life is too short. Good night. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, blueslily said:

Yes, I am aware. I am also aware that user frequency of this source or site varies by person. For example,  my next sailing is on another line so I'm not on here as much as I am on their threads. My cruise after that one is on NCL. Plus, I take a break from the entire site at times due to the negativity posted here by some users that seem to just like to argue, prove points, point out flaws, challenge others, etc. Just unnecessary behavior. Plus, not everyone lives on CC. And not everyone knows how to use all the features here to obtain information. I dont assume the worse of  people just because they ask a question that other people already talked about. It's really not that serious. if people don't like a question or dont want to repeat themselves, they can just ignore the question. It's so simple. I cant imagine living as grumpy as some people present on here. Life is too short. Good night. 

This x10.

I guess if we are going to excoriate those who ask questions that have been brought up in the past, perhaps have no definitive answer or are too ridiculous to be thoughtfully and kindly entertained by the seasoned “advisors” here then it’s time to pull out the gallows for: Is it worth upgrading from an inside to a balcony? I have claustrophobia and I’m afraid of the dark Waawaawaa. Will my cabin be noisy? It’s right under the disco Waawaawaa. Will I get sea sick? I get dizzy in my recliner  Waawaawaaa.  We are going to Hawaii, do they speak English there? Waawaawaa.  Is the haven worth it? I’ve saved an extra $50 for this vacation Waawaawaa. What’s  the food like in the haven? Is it good? Do they have hot dogs?  Waawaawaa. Can I get lobster for breakfast in the haven and have it delivered to my suite at exactly 6:35am? Waawaawaa. Do I have to pay gratuities to the staff that busted their butts to cater to all my needs for 7 days including washing the barf out of my favorite dress after getting drunk and sea sick? Waawaawaa. Is Royal better than NCL?  I hear NCL always hits icebergs Waawaawaa. Does my cabin have an obstructed view? I see a lifeboat in the window and no ocean. Waawaawaa. How do I get from LAX to the cruise port? Do they have roads? Waawaawaa. When’s the best time to go to Alaska, January? Waawaawaa.  It was cold and rained on our excursion in Alaska and we didn’t see any whales, can I get a refund? Waawaawaa. I’ve got covid and am on a ventilator, can I embark tomorrow? Waawaawaa . Will I miss my ship if I fly in day of sailing with only 15 minutes to spare? Waawaawaa. I’ve got cabin xyz on ship abc, does it have a couch by the balcony or a bed and what’s the carpet color? Waawaawaa. Can I order caviar from an exclusive restaurant in downtown Miami and have my haven butler pick it up and spoon feed it to me while giving me a foot massage?  Waawaawaa. The crew refused to come to our cruise critic meet and greet (can’t IMAGINE why) can we get them fired? Waawaawaa. The list is endless. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Av8torcrj said:

This x10.

I guess if we are going to excoriate those who ask questions that have been brought up in the past, perhaps have no definitive answer or are too ridiculous to be thoughtfully and kindly entertained by the seasoned “advisors” here then it’s time to pull out the gallows for: Is it worth upgrading from an inside to a balcony? I have claustrophobia and I’m afraid of the dark Waawaawaa. Will my cabin be noisy? It’s right under the disco Waawaawaa. Will I get sea sick? I get dizzy in my recliner  Waawaawaaa.  We are going to Hawaii, do they speak English there? Waawaawaa.  Is the haven worth it? I’ve saved an extra $50 for this vacation Waawaawaa. What’s  the food like in the haven? Is it good? Do they have hot dogs?  Waawaawaa. Can I get lobster for breakfast in the haven and have it delivered to my suite at exactly 6:35am? Waawaawaa. Do I have to pay gratuities to the staff that busted their butts to cater to all my needs for 7 days including washing the barf out of my favorite dress after getting drunk and sea sick? Waawaawaa. Is Royal better than NCL?  I hear NCL always hits icebergs Waawaawaa. Does my cabin have an obstructed view? I see a lifeboat in the window and no ocean. Waawaawaa. How do I get from LAX to the cruise port? Do they have roads? Waawaawaa. When’s the best time to go to Alaska, January? Waawaawaa.  It was cold and rained on our excursion in Alaska and we didn’t see any whales, can I get a refund? Waawaawaa. I’ve got covid and am on a ventilator, can I embark tomorrow? Waawaawaa . Will I miss my ship if I fly in day of sailing with only 15 minutes to spare? Waawaawaa. I’ve got cabin xyz on ship abc, does it have a couch by the balcony or a bed and what’s the carpet color? Waawaawaa. Can I order caviar from an exclusive restaurant in downtown Miami and have my haven butler pick it up and spoon feed it to me while giving me a foot massage?  Waawaawaa. The crew refused to come to our cruise critic meet and greet (can’t IMAGINE why) can we get them fired? Waawaawaa. The list is endless. 

And you took the time to type your concerns giving us something to ponder.  Waawaawaa

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 8:28 PM, kugamuga said:

We are sailing on the Bliss on December 17 and I am interested in what the sailing capacity will be then on NCL ships. I have read recently that ships are currently sailing at 65%. Does anyone have any inside info on what it may be in December?

@kugamuga

I skipped most of the replies to get to the point of answering your question .... here's the rule of thumb: when the schools are out, the capacity increases on many ships. When the schools are in the capacity reduces on many ships, however, on longer cruises on ships may have normal capacity but with older demographics. 

Unfortunately, your cruise on 17 Dec falls in the "schools are out" category & it's the Christmas week so be prepared for lots of families and mobs of children - the latter takes up about one third of all passengers. 

With mask mandates and pre-cruise testings, etc disappearing, and unvaccinated being allowed, expect your cruise to be 100% capacity.

We have been on a few Xmas and New Year cruises when our son was growing up and they were good. But be prepared!

ENJOY!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Av8torcrj said:

This x10.

I wish I could select two laughy faces for this one.  Post of the week!!!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

When the schools are in the capacity reduces on many ships, however, on longer cruises on ships may have normal capacity but with older demographics. 

How do they just reduce capacity during off-peak months?  I thought they just lowered prices to sell cabins.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, complawyer said:

youve got the wrong perspective.  the cruise line's objective is to sell cabins. you should always anticipate a full ship, and if its not, you scored a bonus.

i think your position shows a little to much sense of entitlement. if you want exclusivity, book a haven suite. no waiting in long lines, your own pool area, restaurant and bar, and a separate seating area at the theater, or book with silversea or windstar.                   PROBLEM SOLVED!

You didn't quote anyone, so, I assume you are referring to the OP.  So, I have to ask, how do you know what OP's perspective is?  OP asked a simple question with no statement of reason for the question or what his perspective is..  For all we know, OP wants the ship filled to max capacity because he loves the excitement of crowds. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, complawyer said:

they do speak english, but the locals dont take kindly to foreigners like you, and what t he heck is WaaWaaWaa, some type of ancient war chant?  to quote you "LOL"

Cmon' @complawyer, you can figure this one out!!  Kind of a musical refrain at the end of a comic act.  You've heard it before!

Hope this works...

• Haha 1

I think people are getting occupancy and capacity confused. Capacity is the number of people the ship will hold. Occupancy is the number of people who actually booked.

According to Frank DEl Rio at the Q321, ncl ships sailed at 100% capacity after an initial phase in process. Since all NCL ships have been sailing longer than 60 days, the capacity is 100%. In other words, NCL is not limiting the number of people who CAN book (at least at is information filed with the SEC).

According to the same Frank Del Rio, but fast forward to the most recent filing with the SEC, while ship capacity is 100%, ship occupancy is 65% on average. What is really telling is that they only managed to get to 85% occupancy during July on the very popular Joy. That ship should have sailed well over 100% but it didn’t because, while capacity is 100%, occupancy is averaging only 65%. People just aren’t booking at rates anywhere near 2019.

Occupancy in Q4 will drop even more, with the exception of thanksgiving and Christmas holiday weeks. Brutal. 

On a side note- Since 65% occupancy is the figure filed with the United States Security exchange Commission, I will believe that number over any CC member who is clearly uneducated on ship occupancy levels. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think people are getting occupancy and capacity confused. Capacity is the number of people the ship will hold. Occupancy is the number of people who actually booked.

According to Frank DEl Rio at the Q321, ncl ships sailed at 100% capacity after an initial phase in process. Since all NCL ships have been sailing longer than 60 days, the capacity is 100%. In other words, NCL is not limiting the number of people who CAN book (at least at is information filed with the SEC).

According to the same Frank Del Rio, but fast forward to the most recent filing with the SEC, while ship capacity is 100%, ship occupancy is 65% on average. What is really telling is that they only managed to get to 85% occupancy during July on the very popular Joy. That ship should have sailed well over 100% but it didn’t because, while capacity is 100%, occupancy is averaging only 65%. People just aren’t booking at rates anywhere near 2019.

Occupancy in Q4 will drop even more, with the exception of thanksgiving and Christmas holiday weeks. Brutal. 

On a side note- Since 65% occupancy is the figure filed with the United States Security exchange Commission, I will believe that number over any CC member who is clearly uneducated on ship occupancy levels. 

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

On 9/6/2022 at 6:18 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Cmon' @complawyer, you can figure this one out!!  Kind of a musical refrain at the end of a comic act.  You've heard it before!

Hope this works...

Are we all too young to remember that WahWah was a George Harrison song from his All Things Must Pass album, circa 1970? And I still have it in my record collection, purchased new way back when!!

• Like 1