How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

8 minutes ago, RKSue said:

Also check your booking on line. See if you still have the same cabin number. Some had cabin numbers changed before acceptance letter. 

Checked, and it's still showing the original cabin.  Maybe we will hear today.

50 minutes ago, RKSue said:

Interesting. When I read the information I understood that if I did not pay within 2 days of winning my bid I would loose the bid and no money would exchange hands. 

Pretty clear if you read the bidding rules that you agree to pay (like ANY auction where you place a bid).  Where on the Princess website did you read you can refuse the cabin and not pay?

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Pretty clear if you read the bidding rules that you agree to pay (like ANY auction where you place a bid).  Where on the Princess website did you read you can refuse the cabin and not pay?

I don't see anywhere it says that.  It does say that payment is due within 48 hours.  It's not clear what happens if you don't pay within 48 hours.  I think some people are assuming that if you don't pay within that time you will be reverted to you old cabin but I'm not so sure about that.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

When the bidding program was first announced, the rules said you had to provide  a credit card number and that the card would automatically be charged upon Princess accepting a bid and the charge might occur before the person was even aware the bid had been accepted.

But now the process says you must arrange for payment within x time after the Princess has accepted your bid.

So the question is, what happens if you do not arrange for that payment?

o You stay in your original cabin and the accepted bid is no longer in effect?

o You have had your cabin assignment changed to the new one and your original cabin is no longer available?

o Your booking is cancelled for non-payment?

o other?

From the terms and conditions:

"Once Guest is selected and notified as a Successful Bidder, the Guest will be required to make payment (i) via the Cruise Personalizer at princess.com, (ii) have their travel agent make payment via POLAR Online, or (iii) call the PCL Contact Center at 1-800-Princess, within 48 hours of the Booking Confirmation transmission date/time or¸ for bids accepted within 5 days of Cruise departures, must be paid within 24 hours of Booking Confirmation transmission date/time or as time allows. Once a Bid is accepted, the Guest is legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in the Bid. If a Guest's credit card does not go through, is declined, or cannot otherwise be charged, PCL may (but is not required to) reach out to the Guest for an alternate method of payment or may disqualify the Successful Bidder and return the Guest to their original category, all in its sole discretion. No changes, refunds, or cancellations will be permitted after payment is made, PCL cannot guarantee a specific cabin number within the upgraded category and the cabin position will depend on space availability and are at the sole discretion of PCL." 

Now when I asked them via live chat they said I could decline the upgrade if I did not like the cabin location I was given and could keep my original stateroom, however it seems like you might not be able to get your old cabin back if it has not been sold already. Like many have said its a gamble and that's the risk you take if you want to upgrade via bidding 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just got my acceptance notification - almost exactly 24 hours after the rejection emails came for my other bids.  Got a mini-suite midship on Baja - very happy!  We sail on Nov 13th, so notification was just under 4 weeks before sailing.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tesanrick said:

Just got my acceptance notification - almost exactly 24 hours after the rejection emails came for my other bids.  Got a mini-suite midship on Baja - very happy!  We sail on Nov 13th, so notification was just under 4 weeks before sailing.

Awesome!!🥳🥳

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

That's not working for me. It does still give me the option of bidding. Can I assume that either my bid wasn't accepted or it was lost in the process?

Did you get emails on other bids saying they were not accepted? 

21 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Did you get emails on other bids saying they were not accepted? 

No. None. I tried the chat but the agent I spoke with didn't seem to understand what I was talking about wanting to cancel the upgrade bids... I assume I will hear something soon as I sail on November 26.

Edited by toofewcruises

2 hours ago, Matco said:

From the terms and conditions

Now when I asked them via live chat they said I could decline the upgrade if I did not like the cabin location I was given and could keep my original stateroom, however it seems like you might not be able to get your old cabin back if it has not been sold already. Like many have said its a gamble and that's the risk you take if you want to upgrade via bidding 

This is what we were told to when we inquired with a Princess CSR.  We would not have to accept the upgrade and had 48 hours to decide.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

No. None. I tried the chat but the agent I spoke with didn't seem to understand what I was talking about wanting to cancel the upgrade bids... I assume I will hear something soon as I sail on November 26.

Give it a few more days. We sail November 23rd and we got an email this morning.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

UH OH , Sorry , I misread your post . Our email for our cruise sailing Nov.23 was for bidding offers.

23 hours ago, andlep said:

I made a bid to upgrade from regular balcony, to premium balcony on the Grand Princess sailing Nov. Then I found out that there are twelve premium cabins that are twin bed only. I don't want to risk getting twin beds so I cancelled the bid. 

Is my reasoning correct? If so, maybe it could be something others might consider before bidding as well.

How did you cancel?

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

I don't see anywhere it says that.  It does say that payment is due within 48 hours.  It's not clear what happens if you don't pay within 48 hours.  I think some people are assuming that if you don't pay within that time you will be reverted to you old cabin but I'm not so sure about that.

It says this on the Princess website - pretty clear

"Once a Bid is accepted, the Guest is legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in the Bid."

10 hours ago, jc foster said:

Received the following offers for bidding on our 10 day Emerald cruise in November. We are currently in a premium balcony.   Sorry , I have never figured out how to post photos on this forum.    The following are lowest bids.   Penthouse  AFT $1205pp      Penthouse $1155 pp     Premium  Suite   $955 pp  Vista Suite $ 905 pp   Club Class Mini  $190 pp  Mini Suite $75 pp . I will probably bid on both minis. 

I didn't get any bid offer and I am the Transatlantic prior to your cruise.  Maybe they have not rolled it out for cruises that starts outside of the United States.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Let me find it. They may have changed since they started. I’ll post when I find it. 

2 hours ago, jc foster said:

Give it a few more days. We sail November 23rd and we got an email this morning.

You go back to your letter or go onto Princess.com. That’s were you cancel your upgrade bid. 

2 hours ago, toofewcruises said:

Go on line and go into your cruise personalizer. That’s were you cancel your bids or go to the bid confirmation letter and follow the link. That’s where you can cancel. 

10 hours ago, jc foster said:

Received the following offers for bidding on our 10 day Emerald cruise in November. We are currently in a premium balcony.   Sorry , I have never figured out how to post photos on this forum.    The following are lowest bids.   Penthouse  AFT $1205pp      Penthouse $1155 pp     Premium  Suite   $955 pp  Vista Suite $ 905 pp   Club Class Mini  $190 pp  Mini Suite $75 pp . I will probably bid on both minis. 

We are obviously on the same 10 day Emerald cruise in November.  We are in a regular balcony cabin, so the minimum bids for each category for us are higher (apparently accounting for the fact that we are starting at a lower booked cabin rate).  We were only given options to bid on a premium balcony minimum at $65pp, a Mini Suite at $150pp  and a Club Class Mini at $270pp.  It is also interesting that we weren't given the option to bid on any of the other categories that you were offered for the Penthouses or Premium/Vista Suites (but wouldn't have been interested in those anyway).  So Princess apparently regulates which levels are offered that can be bid on based on what cabin level from which you are starting. 

• Like 2