Queens Grill - Does Anyone Purchase Drinks Packages?

ClefsDor

Just wondering if many people purchase drinks packages when they travel in the Grill categories or do most people purchase bottle(s) of wine with their meals? I realise wines by the glass that are included in the drinks package are somewhat limited but if one does choose to go this route in the Grill dining rooms will this be problematic for wait staff and/or seen as being a bit out of the ordinary?

Some bookings [very rarely UK based and we've never come across the offer] have a package included but the  only time/s we buy a package, is when there has been a limited number of a mix of very good bin ends, usually three reds and three whites. Even then, we obviously have to like the products before buying into them.

Other than that, we buy the bottles as and when we need them.

We usually sail Princess Grill class and as we are booking from the US, we often get a very nice drinks package thrown in.  And through various sources we get some OBC, and on a crossing (which is our usual travel choice on Cunard), there are not a lot of options for spending the OBC other than bling.  So sometimes we are tempted to buy a nice bottle of wine, and that causes no problems for the wine steward or the accountants.  They seem thrilled to make the sale and charge our on-board account.

Thanks for the feedback. We will do the drinks package (I think ours is thrown in as part of the booking as we use a TA based in the States). I'm sure there may be times we buy a bottle but if we have the drinks package we will predominantly just use that and it sounds like we won't be the odd ones out if we do. 

34 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Thanks for the feedback. We will do the drinks package (I think ours is thrown in as part of the booking as we use a TA based in the States). I'm sure there may be times we buy a bottle but if we have the drinks package we will predominantly just use that and it sounds like we won't be the odd ones out if we do. 

I have no idea who has an actual drinks package in QG [ title of the thread]  which is wine by the glass, but our package is a wine bin end  package which is wine by the bottle, obviously consumed in [sort of] moderation and so is slightly different from the sort of package you asked about.

However, as the drinks package seems to be  included in your booking, answers won't really make any difference. Enjoy.

Cheers.  👍

We had one of those wine by the glass offers once. The list of wines by the glass is fairly long, and all the ones I had were nice. The wine waiter was very nice about bring two small glasses so we didn’t bust the $12 limit, and it was no problem if we ordered a bottle. It all worked very well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

We buy the Commodore Wine Package as there are some excellent wines in it.

It is available in  6 bottle or 12 bottle

The problem with the Commodore selection is that every year they take the better wines off.

First they took off the champagne, then the Chateauneuf the following year, then the good port. I wonder what's being taken off this year?

However, if you could get a bin end package, that might be different.