Marriott in Ft Lauderdale

We will be cruising out of Ft Lauderdale over spring break. We are Marriott rewards members and would like to use our free night. We will have a vehicle so it doesn’t have to be right by the port or restaurants. What Marriott would you recommend?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

A few years ago, we stayed at the Residence Inn in Dania Beach.  Having a car would be a plus, but used Uber to go to any stores or restaurants we wanted to visit.  It is a nice hotel and served us well.  I should have mentioned though that we were cruising out of POM on those trips and used Uber to and from there.

Edited by REV_Cruiser
Added info
  • Like 1

Without hesitation, I recommend Fort Lauderdale Marriott North.  On Andrews Avenue, a short distance from I-95 using the Cypress Creek Drive exit, free attached garage parking, a 4th Floor Sun Deck/Pool/Fitness Center area with a good sized covered area with comfortable seating on the Sun Deck, a restaurant open for all three meals (at least Pre-Covid) and bar/lounge (buffet breakfast is varied with made to order omelets and is good), and pleasant helpful service including a Bellman (but, not on duty 24 hours a day).  A shopping center with a movie theater and a few restaurants are across Andrews Avenue with other choices not far away.  

The hotel is located down a driveway off Andrews Avenue that, initially makes one wonder:  where is it?  

It has been much much more inexpensive than Marriott properties closer to the Port and--surprisingly to me--has been less expensive than a Courtyard on Cypress Creek Drive somewhat further West than this hotel.  From there to the Port, is about a 30-45 minute drive, traffic permitting.  One could still reach the Port without using the Interstate, but, it would take longer.

I have stayed at this hotel several times.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We are Marriott rewards members and would like to use our free night. We will have a vehicle so it doesn’t have to be right by the port or restaurants. What Marriott would you recommend?

It depends. Bonvoy free night rewards can be as low as 35,000 points or as high as 50,000 points. It will change the category of hotel you can stay in-- and on top of that you can sometimes supplement the rewards certificate with 15,00 points to even further upgrade the level of property you stay in. The value of the reward you have will help make suggestions. 

It gives you access to properties that are much nicer than a standard Marriott such as a W, Autograph Collection, Westin, Le Meridien, or even the Ritz Carlton. Just depends on the redemption rate that night which you can search from the Bonvoy website. 

Agree with RKA cruiser. Marriott FL North great location and hotel. Perfect if you have a car. Alternate in same area is the Westin Fort Lauderdale - more of a corporate hotel. Both have free parking. Both hotels are used by Cruise companies. Have stayed at both locations numerous times over the last 20 years. As  Princeton has indicated you don't have to stay at a Marriott. There are many other alternatives with your free cert. Go to the Marriott website and shop around

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

I have stayed at both the Marriott and AC Marriott at Dania Point.  They are a couple blocks from Dania Point shopping and great restaurants.  Free shuttle from The airport.  I have reservations for December and February at the AC.

I agree and close to the port also. Quick shuttle or Uber ride away.

17 hours ago, smithmlmx said:

Agree with RKA cruiser. Marriott FL North great location and hotel. Perfect if you have a car. Alternate in same area is the Westin Fort Lauderdale - more of a corporate hotel. Both have free parking. Both hotels are used by Cruise companies. Have stayed at both locations numerous times over the last 20 years. As  Princeton has indicated you don't have to stay at a Marriott. There are many other alternatives with your free cert. Go to the Marriott website and shop around

Based on my experiences, you are correct.  As pre-cruise hotel guest with no car, the Westin (which is on the East side of I-95 rather than the Marriott's location on the West side), was also a pleasant hotel, but, it's dining/lounge area (if I remember correctly), was not as nice as the Marriott North's.  Outside the hotel, one would need to walk/drive a longer distance to get to a different dining area.  It really is a "business person oriented hotel being located in adjacent to an office park.  The pool area, in comparison to the Marriott's?  No comparison!   The Marriott's is much better for a leisure traveler.  

On 9/7/2022 at 5:09 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will be cruising out of Ft Lauderdale over spring break. We are Marriott rewards members and would like to use our free night. We will have a vehicle so it doesn’t have to be right by the port or restaurants. What Marriott would you recommend?

This past March we stayed at the "Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport" which is newer property with shuttle service from the airport (I know you mentioned a car so that info is more for others) and was convenient to both the port and airport.  We are Bonvoy Titanium so have M Club access all the time and this club is open 24/7 which was nice for a late arrival.  Overall the hotel was nice, dining room with breakfast was spacious with a good menu and buffet with cook to order options, the M Club had the typical fare.  We'd go back again.

This March however we booked the "AC Fort Lauderdale Beach" which is also billed as a new hotel.  We opted to use a redemption for this stay and have a reservation for an ocean view corner room for only 25,000 points which is within your annual award level.  We've been at AC Hotels before and they are nothing special, but for one night we decided to take a chance and see how it is since it's across the street from the beach.

• Like 1