Bed near balcony doors or at back of cabin??

Mitzelj

Bed location  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Bed near balcony or near bathroom

• Next to the balcony doors?
    • Next to the bathroom/closet?

I've looked at several cabin layouts and video and I was wondering if seasoned cruisers preferred the bed near the balcony doors or more toward the near the back of the cabin.

We are booked on Princess in October and our bed is in the back of cabin and my rookie brain seems to think that is the correct design.

Please comment with your preference and experience.

Thanks in advance, Jeff 

I prefer having the beds closer to the bathroom and closets.  I prefer an open space with chairs and/or sofa just inside the balcony doors.  As far as I am concerned, having the beds close to the balcony doors partially blocks the pathway to use the balcony.  

• Like 6

For a balcony I agree with the written comments above, open area near the "big windows". I in fact switched decks and cabin "class" to have that arrangement when booking with family members who would be next door and the balconies would be open between. 

The OVs are different, with the entertaining area near the hall, where friends and family would be entering.

Usually you don't get a choice, at least on HAL. The Vista suites on the newest ships are like the photos above, while the Verandahs have the sofa near the balcony. There is at least one line that has ships where the arrangement alternates down the hall!

I prefer the bed closer to the balcony, although it rarely happens.  On Princess it doesn't matter much, since the closet is a separate walk-in area, but on many other lines the closet is so close to one side of the bed, unless the bed is by the balcony, that it is sometimes hard to access, especially with two people getting ready.

I do like laying in bed and looking out over the ocean as well.

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I prefer the bed closer to the balcony, although it rarely happens.  On Princess it doesn't matter much, since the closet is a separate walk-in area, but on many other lines the closet is so close to one side of the bed, unless the bed is by the balcony, that it is sometimes hard to access, especially with two people getting ready.

I do like laying in bed and looking out over the ocean as well.

This:

"I do like laying in bed and looking out over the ocean as well."

A cruise is a great time to relax, and even luxuriate in a bit of pure laziness sometimes.  And we love watching the sea, no matter what is/is not happening.  So "A Bed With A View" is very important! 🙂

We would definitely dislike a suite where the bed/bedroom is in its own little area without a view.   We've seen some situations where a nice suite has a separate bedroom, but that BR is sort of behind the LR.  That's not something we are likely to choose, ever.  An ideal would be a suite where both the bed and a sitting area have a nice view.

And if we are getting smaller accommodations, then yes, we'd want the bed with the view, not the sitting area.

This type of choice has occasionally made a real difference such that we chose a different ship or even a different cruiseline to avoid a bed without a view.

GC

We prefer the sitting area nearer to the balcony.  If you're not out on the balcony, it's nicer to sit there on a sofa and look out the door/windows. However, I would never not book a ship just because the beds were closer to the balcony then the sitting area.

Edited by marco
  • Like 3