SECOND ArriveCAN APP Required Before Cruise!!! Alert!

nini

1 hour ago, Jersey42 said:

I found this thread because I hoped it would offer some clarity for an upcoming cruise.  In our situation we will be flying from the USA to Canada (ArriveCAN submission is required). After spending two nights in a Canadian hotel at the port, we board a cruise with a final destination of Florida.  The cruise stops in several Canadian ports, but once it departs Canadian waters, it never reenters Canada.  My take is no second ArriveCAN is required.  Several good posts from @broberts support this and @Bobbiegentry shows official information from travel.gc.ca to support this as well. 

Does anyone disagree with this and why?  If you do, how would I even fill out the second ArriveCAN with accurate information?

1. How are you entering Canada?  I'm am already in Canada and I already filled out an ArriveCAN to enter.  If I select Air or Land, the next questions make no sense.  So Marine is the only option left. Then . . .
  2. Country of original departure: Is this the USA or Canada?
  3. Port of entry. Note: This is the first port of arrival in Canada: Is this my embarkation port or my second port in Canada?  (My first port in Canada is not even on the dropdown list, so that's not an option)
  4. Date and Time of Arrival: To where?  Embarkation port, 2nd port, final destination in Florida?  If I try to make the embarkation and arrival date/time the same, will it even let me do that?

I have been told by several well meaning people that there is no harm in filling out a second AriveCAN, just in case I am wrong.  But I can't figure out how to do this without providing bogus, or at the least, misleading information to the Canadian government. 

Extremely thorough summary!! Nicely done. 

Like you, I’m also interested in any other points of view that can be substantiated via official Canadian government documentation.  

9 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Extremely thorough summary!! Nicely done. 

Like you, I’m also interested in any other points of view that can be substantiated via official Canadian government documentation.  

If some information is backed up by official Canadian government website documentation, then it really isn't a point of view!  It's fact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You are not the only one receiving such calls.  Just ridiculous like we are in some totalitarian state.  Similarly, we were over the border in Niagara Falls, NY (Whirlpool Bridge crossing) this past Wednesday for my wife to interview (I had magically received an email with pre-approval late last week and so days before our scheduled interview, I didn't need one.  That was a surprise and I logged in twice to check just to be certain it was real!)  We detoured to a Walmart to get a specific item and then back across the Rainbow Bridge.  We didn't have any issues with re-entering and ArriveCAN, so no random tests here.  Of course, I say that now, but who knows - could get a call tomorrow for all I know.  They are supposed to inform you at the border if you have to do a test.  (On another note, it is beyond the pale that Canada has not re-opened the NEXUS centers on this side of the border).

My husbands application also switched to Pre Approved once the centres opened but it didn’t change to Approved until after his interview. He got his card in the mail about a week later.  You may want to go back in and check the status of your application if you haven’t already.  

Not sure how they are processing renewals at this time I still have a couple years left on mine.

11 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

My husbands application also switched to Pre Approved once the centres opened but it didn’t change to Approved until after his interview. He got his card in the mail about a week later.  You may want to go back in and check the status of your application if you haven’t already.  

Not sure how they are processing renewals at this time I still have a couple years left on mine.

I guess I did not use the correct term.  Our renewal applications were approved way back in late 2019 and we had interviews scheduled for April 2020 (IIRC) after our return from wintering in FL.  I don't need to tell you what happened to those appointments.  We have gone through various re-scheduled and cancelled cycles, ultimately waiting for what seemed an eternity for the centers to re-open.  As you likely know, Canada is still sitting on its hands and wouldn't surprise me if the current situation is just another stall tactic.  (And agents have been at home collecting pay and benefits). 

So, when US centers opened we got booked into NF, NY.  Days before our scheduled interview, I received full approval without needing the interview.  My interview session was cancelled per the website and my expiry date was extended.  I suppose auto-approval was a better term.  My wife still had to go.  Didn't really save us anything since we made the road trip together.  At the office, one of the US agents told us that "Washington shoved a bunch through last week".  Considering the current intransigence of the Canadian government, I feel lucky the US didn't restrict appointments to Americans only.  Bottom line - we are good for more years now before going through it again. 

Strange thing though (and I have written to ask about why), mine was renewed to 2028 - 5 years from my next birthday.  My wife, who had to attend in person, was only extended 5 years from her last birthday following our application approval - which means 2025.  Yikes - in just over two years, she has to go through this again already??!!  

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I guess I did not use the correct term.  Our renewal applications were approved way back in late 2019 and we had interviews scheduled for April 2020 (IIRC) after our return from wintering in FL.  I don't need to tell you what happened to those appointments.  We have gone through various re-scheduled and cancelled cycles, ultimately waiting for what seemed an eternity for the centers to re-open.  As you likely know, Canada is still sitting on its hands and wouldn't surprise me if the current situation is just another stall tactic.  (And agents have been at home collecting pay and benefits). 

So, when US centers opened we got booked into NF, NY.  Days before our scheduled interview, I received full approval without needing the interview.  My interview session was cancelled per the website and my expiry date was extended.  I suppose auto-approval was a better term.  My wife still had to go.  Didn't really save us anything since we made the road trip together.  At the office, one of the US agents told us that "Washington shoved a bunch through last week".  Considering the current intransigence of the Canadian government, I feel lucky the US didn't restrict appointments to Americans only.  Bottom line - we are good for more years now before going through it again. 

Strange thing though (and I have written to ask about why), mine was renewed to 2028 - 5 years from my next birthday.  My wife, who had to attend in person, was only extended 5 years from her last birthday following our application approval - which means 2025.  Yikes - in just over two years, she has to go through this again already??!!  

Your time frames are very close to my husbands, we were sooo close to his original interview date when everything went sideways.  Difference is he was a first time applicant so had to attend an in person interview.  

Your wife hopefully will just have to submit her CC info and be auto approved in 2025 my last one or two renewals happened that way.  Weird about the dates though.

Now for next cruise I have to remove our passport info and enter the Nexus into ArriveCAN they seem to have updated the requirement on their website.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If some information is backed up by official Canadian government website documentation, then it really isn't a point of view!  It's fact.

I phrased it as I did in an effort to keep from offending. I could have said:

What I'm keenly interested in are points of view that can be substantiated via official Canadian government documentation and which avoid conjecture, opinion, impression, presumption, assumption, speculation, presupposition, feeling, sentiment and plain old guesses which are pulled from one's nether regions. Just the facts as presented by the Canadian government, please. 

But all of that is just too wordy. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

What I'm keenly interested in are points of view that can be substantiated via official Canadian government documentation and which avoid conjecture, opinion, impression, presumption, assumption, speculation, presupposition, feeling, sentiment and plain old guesses which are pulled from one's nether regions. Just the facts as presented by the Canadian government, please. 

Like I said, if that's what you want - forget about here and just go to Canada government website pages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Like I said, if that's what you want - forget about here and just go to Canada government website pages.

Interesting topic.

As @Jersey42cleverly pointed out, once one arrives in Canada, for example by air on Monday, how can one then "arrive again" in Canada on Wednesday to board a cruise ship. 

Seems to me that once one has arrived in Canada, they have arrived. One and done.

Unless, of course, as in my example above one leaves Canada on Tuesday for a quick trip over the border to the US.🤔

Edited by Bgwest

And you are so right! Which is exactly what I did 👇. I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has a different interpretation than I have on the official word on the subject from the Canada government website pages.

Lord knows I'm anything but an expert on deciphering "governmentese". Any government!! 

Yes, however further down in the same section is the following:

Choose the scenario below that best fits your cruise plans:

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another countryCruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

While I totally agree with both of you (and @broberts), the Canadian government site (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise) is poorly worded, poorly presented and causes confusion.  To make things worse, even though Princess seems to be currently OK, other cruise lines such as HAL and NCL are still telling people that an ArriveCAN is required to board one of their ships departing from Canada, no matter the itinerary.

Here is why I think the government site needs some work.  

When you first enter the site you see the following:

348148701_arrivecan1.jpg.c6b03a64d0843e12e28d11627ab61162.jpg

It seems pretty clear that a second ArriveCAN submission is required. They bolded "second" and they say "must".  Better wording might have been "You may also need to submit a second ArriveCAN depending on your cruise itinerary" or "see the next section for exceptions", but they did not do that.  

Then the next section has two collapsed subsections with the pertinent details.  Someone has to:

• See the next section,
  • Realize there are subsections that must be expanded, and
  • Figure out which subsection applies to them.

In my case I am "Starting an international cruise in Canada", so the first section seems like it would apply to me. But I have to expand it, and read it to realize I am in the wrong section because I am "not returning to Canada".

2077517921_arrivecan2.thumb.jpg.bfe418f74e276849d7b2e8bdb42fad69.jpg

At least the area I highlighted is at the top of the lengthy subsection.  So I collapse that sub section and open up the next subsection.

176441593_arrivecan3.jpg.22f80076c84c5e51986330f04c376259.jpg

This sure looks like it applies to me and no second ArriveCAN is required.  But it took way to much effort to figure it out. And, there are still people questioning my conclusion because the first screen says you must complete a second ArriveCAN, so the "Boarding cruises and shore excursions" section does not apply. 

I still stand by the conclusion that no second ArriveCAN is required.  But broberts suggestion in post 49 solves it all.  If the people checking you in tell you it is required, let them tell you how to fill it out. 

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

While I totally agree with both of you (and @broberts), the Canadian government site (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise) is poorly worded, poorly presented and causes confusion.  To make things worse, even though Princess seems to be currently OK, other cruise lines such as HAL and NCL are still telling people that an ArriveCAN is required to board one of their ships departing from Canada, no matter the itinerary.

Here is why I think the government site needs some work.  

When you first enter the site you see the following:

348148701_arrivecan1.jpg.c6b03a64d0843e12e28d11627ab61162.jpg

It seems pretty clear that a second ArriveCAN submission is required. They bolded "second" and they say "must".  Better wording might have been "You may also need to submit a second ArriveCAN depending on your cruise itinerary" or "see the next section for exceptions", but they did not do that.  

Then the next section has two collapsed subsections with the pertinent details.  Someone has to:

• See the next section,
  • Realize there are subsections that must be expanded, and
  • Figure out which subsection applies to them.

In my case I am "Starting an international cruise in Canada", so the first section seems like it would apply to me. But I have to expand it, and read it to realize I am in the wrong section because I am "not returning to Canada".

2077517921_arrivecan2.thumb.jpg.bfe418f74e276849d7b2e8bdb42fad69.jpg

At least the area I highlighted is at the top of the lengthy subsection.  So I collapse that sub section and open up the next subsection.

176441593_arrivecan3.jpg.22f80076c84c5e51986330f04c376259.jpg

This sure looks like it applies to me and no second ArriveCAN is required.  But it took way to much effort to figure it out. And, there are still people questioning my conclusion because the first screen says you must complete a second ArriveCAN, so the "Boarding cruises and shore excursions" section does not apply. 

I still stand by the conclusion that no second ArriveCAN is required.  But broberts suggestion in post 49 solves it all.  If the people checking you in tell you it is required, let them tell you how to fill it out. 

You've spent a lot of time and effort on this and for that......THANK YOU! And I completely agree with your conclusions. 

Even Princess seems to be getting this wrong. Below is an email I received from Princess on September 8 regarding this cruise. I've highlighted the errant part. 

Important update regarding your Booking #xxxxxx

Dear xxxxxx, our valued guest,

Welcome! We're thrilled that you have chosen Princess Cruises for your upcoming cruise vacation. We can't wait to help you create those "only on Princess" moments.

We wanted to take a moment to clarify some important information regarding your cruise. Please be advised that because your ship arrives, departs or visits Canada, Canadian testing and vaccination guidelines apply. Here are the specific protocols for your upcoming voyage: 

• You must be fully vaccinated, which means you have received all the doses in an authorized or approved primary COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Please remember to upload your proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady. Children under 12 years of age do not need to be vaccinated.
  • All guests ages 5 and above on voyages that depart from, arrive to or visit Canada will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test taken before boarding (antigen within 2 days or PCR within 72 hours). 
  • In addition to the health questionnaire that should be completed as you get OceanReady on the MedallionClass app, within 72 hours of embarkation the Canadian government requires all guests (including Canadian residents) to sign into ArriveCAN from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information. You will receive an ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print the receipt to bring with you when you travel. If your cruise embarks in Canada and you do not reside in Canada, you will need an additional ArriveCAN receipt separate from your land/air arrival receipt, which you can complete after your arrival into Canada. 

Additional information on our onboard guidelines can be found at our CruiseHealth site.

9 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Even Princess seems to be getting this wrong. Below is an email I received from Princess on September 8 regarding this cruise. I've highlighted the errant part. 

Dear xxxxxx, our valued guest,

• In addition to the health questionnaire that should be completed as you get OceanReady on the MedallionClass app, within 72 hours of embarkation the Canadian government requires all guests (including Canadian residents) to sign into ArriveCAN from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information. You will receive an ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print the receipt to bring with you when you travel. If your cruise embarks in Canada and you do not reside in Canada, you will need an additional ArriveCAN receipt separate from your land/air arrival receipt, which you can complete after your arrival into Canada. 

I checked princess.com before my last post, and this language seems to be gone from their web site.  But it does not surprise me that Princess is still giving passengers similar requirements to HAL, NCL and probably others.  At least Princess is exempting those who reside in Canada. I am guessing it is just a CYA thing for the cruise lines.  

Let me understand this correctly I can’t fill out the papers till 72 hours ahead of time to take my cruise to get to Canada then we’re ready to leave Canada I have to fill out another paper this is really getting ridiculous is supposed to be vacation enjoyment why don’t they just not like cruises go to Canada who wants to fill out all this extra paperwork and what about if I don’t have phone service in Canada what am I supposed to do that paper forms you can fill out on the cruise? Everyone doesn’t have a computer or cell phone they make it very complicated for people and if I knew this ahead of time I would’ve picked a cruise that one somewhere else not  to Canada

32 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I checked princess.com before my last post, and this language seems to be gone from their web site.  But it does not surprise me that Princess is still giving passengers similar requirements to HAL, NCL and probably others.  At least Princess is exempting those who reside in Canada. I am guessing it is just a CYA thing for the cruise lines.  

PCL is certainly an outlier from other lines when it comes to Greece.

10 minutes ago, goldengirl said:

Let me understand this correctly I can’t fill out the papers till 72 hours ahead of time to take my cruise to get to Canada then we’re ready to leave Canada I have to fill out another paper this is really getting ridiculous is supposed to be vacation enjoyment why don’t they just not like cruises go to Canada who wants to fill out all this extra paperwork and what about if I don’t have phone service in Canada what am I supposed to do that paper forms you can fill out on the cruise? Everyone doesn’t have a computer or cell phone they make it very complicated for people and if I knew this ahead of time I would’ve picked a cruise that one somewhere else not  to Canada

You do not understand correctly. (Apparently you missed the excellent post #60.)

When you leave Canada there is no ArriveCAN paperwork involved. (Probably why it's called ArriveCAN.)

Perhaps cruising elsewhere would suit you better. (There is no requirement to visit our beautiful country. We'll miss you, but we do understand.)

You do not need phone service in Canada. (How will you live without email?)

• Like 6

My first and original post was from a Canadian government website.

I also want to say that you are all wonderful and I appreciate the comments.

I agree that it seems very redundant to do a second one after already entering Canada.

On a lighter note, our covid tests are both negative! Yay!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nini said:

My first and original post was from a Canadian government website.

I also want to say that you are all wonderful and I appreciate the comments.

I agree that it seems very redundant to do a second one after already entering Canada.

On a lighter note, our covid tests are both negative! Yay!

Outstanding on the negative tests!!

And thank you for starting this thread. Lots of good information has been exchanged since your first post. 🤙

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Outstanding on the negative tests!!

And thank you for starting this thread. Lots of good information has been exchanged since your first post. 🤙

You are welcome! Yes, some great information has been shared.

Okay. Here goes.

An hour ago I got on my phone and went to the ArriveCAN app. I entered all the information like I was sailing this Friday and arriving in Halifax on Monday. I went through to the section about health entering all required info along the way. The app still retained all our vaccination info and dates from our August cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.

Once all that info was in, the site said "Fully vaccinated passengers no longer need to provide a negative COVID-19 test."

I went on the Princess site and got on live chat. I do not know what I expected, but "Sophia" simply pasted in the link to the page that still shows the test required. I asked if anyone at Princess actually had read the ArriveCAN info, and she said to call 1-800-PRINCESS. Nothing like passing the buck.

Am I missing something? Is Princess making this requirement on their own? 

Any info that I can get before our October 1st sail date would be appreciated. A LOT!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Okay. Here goes.

An hour ago I got on my phone and went to the ArriveCAN app. I entered all the information like I was sailing this Friday and arriving in Halifax on Monday. I went through to the section about health entering all required info along the way. The app still retained all our vaccination info and dates from our August cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.

Once all that info was in, the site said "Fully vaccinated passengers no longer need to provide a negative COVID-19 test."

I went on the Princess site and got on live chat. I do not know what I expected, but "Sophia" simply pasted in the link to the page that still shows the test required. I asked if anyone at Princess actually had read the ArriveCAN info, and she said to call 1-800-PRINCESS. Nothing like passing the buck.

Any info that I can get before our October 1st sail date would be appreciated. A LOT!!!

I am going you guess you are on the Oct 1 Enchanted Princess round trip from NY.  If not, then please post your cruise details.

You need to:

• Be fully vaccinated (see the rules on the link below)
  • Show a negative COVID-19 test at embarkation (see the rules on the link below)
  • Submit an ArriveCAN up to 72 hours before boarding in New York
  • In ArriveCAN, make sure you select "Entry by Marine"
  • In ArriveCAN, select Saint John Marine Terminal (New Brunswick) as your port of entry

If you did not select "Entry by Marine" you might get the message. If you did all of this correctly and are still getting the message I would call ArriveCAN support (1-833-283-7403).  When I did, they were very helpful.   

Read this entire link for details on Canada's requirements for vaccination and testing. Testing is now only required for cruise ship passengers entering or departing Canada.  Air/land arrivals do not need a negative test.  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I am going you guess you are on the Oct 1 Enchanted Princess round trip from NY.  If not, then please post your cruise details.

You need to:

• Show a negative COVID-19 test at embarkation (see the rules on the link below)
  • In ArriveCAN, select Saint John Marine Terminal (New Brunswick) as your port of entry

If you did not select "Entry by Marine" you might get the message. If you did all of this correctly and are still getting the message I would call ArriveCAN support (1-833-283-7403).  When I did, they were very helpful.   

Read this entire link for details on Canada's requirements for vaccination and testing. Testing is now only required for cruise ship passengers entering or departing Canada.  Air/land arrivals do not need a negative test.  https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Thank you, very much.

6 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Yes, ArriveCAN does not require a test as they are no longer required to enter Canada.

However, cruises that port in Canada require a negative test to board. It is no a Princess imposed requirement. It is a GOC imposed requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Yes, ArriveCAN does not require a test as they are no longer required to enter Canada.

However, cruises that port in Canada require a negative test to board. It is no a Princess imposed requirement. It is a GOC imposed requirement.

The logic of the Canadian government requiring a test, any test for a cruise that is leaving Canada escapes me.   Arriving? Sure.  The cruise line requiring a test for boarding? Sure. 

But why would Canada care about testing someone who is leaving the country and therefore clearly taking any infection they have with them?

I'd love to hear opinions on this. Clearly there is something I'm missing. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

You need to:

Yes!!!!

Exactly as I read it.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, macpiper said:

We sailed in June to Alaska out of Vancouver and yes we were required to first do ArrivCan flying into Vancouver and then again to board the ship. All in all it was pretty much a non-event after filling in the ArrivCan. It is tied into your passport so no one even requested ArrivCan since they already knew we were good to go.

When you did the ArriveCan second time for the cruise, did you have to create a new account? Is there a link to add another one using the same account? I just completed and received a receipt for flying into Canada, but can't seem to locate where I can enter and submit 2nd time for the cruise.