Booking plane seats for cruise B229

pennib

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just saying that if you did put 28kgs in one case this may be rejected by P&O when you reach the ship.

Most airlines limit the weight of an individual case. We keep ours below 20kg as DW can put them in the car easier.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As we've wandered off course a bit just to tell the OP latest from P&O yesterday was seat booker can't open as the planes still aren't allocated by TUI.  Nothing to do with P&O and I've been told to check every day. Bit harsh for early to bed passengers as it could be months of midnight checks on the website!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Most airlines limit the weight of an individual case. We keep ours below 20kg as DW can put them in the car easier.🤣

Yes, but 28kg is the widely accepted  limit for Club or PE pax.

Like Mrs Z, I prefer to keep ours to around the 20kg level, regardless of the allowance.

Thanks everyone for your replies. On the subject of checked baggage we always take 3 cases, 2 ordinary ones and one suit carrier (for DH dinner suit etc). I have known cases to be weighed at the airport including hand luggage but on the subject of the latter, the weight was increased from 5kg to 10 kg a few years ago which helps. Yes, I think there are a few more late nights to beat the 1 minute past midnight deadline! We just have to hope that the airport queues won’t be like last Christmas when it took us 5 hours queuing just to get to the plane. 

17 minutes ago, pennib said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. On the subject of checked baggage we always take 3 cases, 2 ordinary ones and one suit carrier (for DH dinner suit etc). I have known cases to be weighed at the airport including hand luggage but on the subject of the latter, the weight was increased from 5kg to 10 kg a few years ago which helps. Yes, I think there are a few more late nights to beat the 1 minute past midnight deadline! We just have to hope that the airport queues won’t be like last Christmas when it took us 5 hours queuing just to get to the plane. 

I can remember most peoples carry on bags being weighed at LGW.  Mine was over the 5kg (i think at that time).  The staff told me it had to go in with our hold baggage.  Which meant that the hold baggage was now over weight, which the staff weren't bothered about! 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Seriously John ? When have you ever seen luggage being weighed at any port ?

P&O clearly state that one of the perks of PE is 28kg of luggage. There is no way that they  will weigh 400 cases at Barbados in case one piece of luggage weighs 25kg.

You have to consider Wowzz, that a lot of the onboard staff are tiny Filipinos who do struggle with medium sized cases of only 17-20kgs.

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You have to consider Wowzz, that a lot of the onboard staff are tiny Filipinos who do struggle with medium sized cases of only 17-20kgs.

HSE regulations limit the weight of bags to 23kg. If the bags can't get on the plane, they don't need to be weighed again at the port.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

HSE regulations limit the weight of bags to 23kg. If the bags can't get on the plane, they don't need to be weighed again at the port.

Not applicable at airports, as 28kg is perfectly acceptable.

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That may be the case (sic), but P&O clearly state 28kg is acceptable.  It is P&O's responsibility to look after the health and welfare of the crew, not mine.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not applicable at airports, as 28kg is perfectly acceptable.

That may be the case (sic), but P&O clearly state 28kg is acceptable.  It is P&O's responsibility to look after the health and welfare of the crew, not mine.

No they say you can have 28kgs in PE, but presumably only if each case is no heavier than 23kgs.

In fact, although I have not flown for over 12 years, I thought the same 23kg case weight restriction already applied for any flight back in 2010.

Edited by terrierjohn

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No they say you can have 28kgs in PE, but presumably only if each case is no heavier than 23kgs.

I stand corrected,  as I have re-read the faqs rather more diligently than this morning,  where I was pre-occupied by the thread relating to entry requirements into Spain !

Thank you for putting me right.

Interestingly, on the TUI web site, it says that you can combine your luggage allowances, as long as no single case weighs more than 25 kg ! 

Edited by wowzz

6 hours ago, pennib said:

Last year our Gatwick flight was only a third full over Christmas and there were only two of them. This year there are four flights from Gatwick. Must admit no delay of any kind in queues either.

Just been through Gatwick for my 9th time since June 15th and still not seen any of the long queues at check in or security.  In fact all flights pretty uneventful on my Heinz variety of airlines (orchestras excepted) which have included BA, Vuehling, Iberia, Easyjet and TUI.  Hopefully this means that Gatwick at least is working better.  Also not had to date any problems entering or leaving European airports in Rome, Barcelona, Palma Majorca, Kefalonia or Verona. Fingers crossed for my next one out of Venice on Saturday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

As we've wandered off course a bit just to tell the OP latest from P&O yesterday was seat booker can't open as the planes still aren't allocated by TUI.  Nothing to do with P&O and I've been told to check every day. Bit harsh for early to bed passengers as it could be months of midnight checks on the website!

I am due to fly Manchester to Malta on 29 Sept (to join Azura) and have still not been informed of my flight details. So this could be a general problem going beyond Caribbean flghts. But I have had a visit from the upgrade fairy!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sweep2907 said:

We are B225a fly back from BGI 5th November and flight seats went live this morning for Baltic Tier and above which only 6 weeks before we depart. That hopefully gives a guide.

Thanks for the info, this is good news! How long is it normally between Baltic Tier and above and everyone else?

21 hours ago, Denarius said:

I am due to fly Manchester to Malta on 29 Sept (to join Azura) and have still not been informed of my flight details. So this could be a general problem going beyond Caribbean flghts. But I have had a visit from the upgrade fairy!

The plot thickens. The confirmation of my upgrade - dated 9 Sept - merely stated that flights were included and that I would be informed as soon as details were finalised. Then today I had a general update email from them which referred amongst other things to my flights with Jet2! So I looked at my cruise personaliser and there they were. But I have still not had the promised email informing me of them. P&O moves in mysterious ways.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clubcardcruiser said:

Thanks for the info, this is good news! How long is it normally between Baltic Tier and above and everyone else?

Assumedly Ligurian went first so if its Baltic now do they do it tier by tier or is it a free for all after that?  From things I've read once the first two tiers are gone normally there's not many window seats left in premium economy.  

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

The plot thickens. The confirmation of my upgrade - dated 9 Sept - merely stated that flights were included and that I would be informed as soon as details were finalised. Then today I had a general update email from them which referred amongst other things to my flights with Jet2! So I looked at my cruise personaliser and there they were. But I have still not had the promised email informing me of them. P&O moves in mysterious ways.

We fly from Man on 29th.  Flight details for the summer season have been out for a quite a while and seats bookable.  I understand only 60 days prior for seat bookings on Jet 2 scheduled flights, but was about 70 days prior for our TUI charter (14.05).  There are also charters at about 6am (TUI), and 6.30 (Jet2), so are you on the approx 6.30am?  I am not aware of any upgraded seats on those short haul flights, apart from the emergency exits, which we have booked for ours and would have presumably booked quickly on the other flights.  

If on the charter flight, you should be able to book seats via My Cruises, or direct with the airline for schedule flights.  You may already be aware that everyone has to collect luggage in Malta and take it to a lorry which transports it to the port, whilst we go on a coach, then we next see luggage outside our cabin as usual.

2 hours ago, tring said:

We fly from Man on 29th.  Flight details for the summer season have been out for a quite a while and seats bookable.  I understand only 60 days prior for seat bookings on Jet 2 scheduled flights, but was about 70 days prior for our TUI charter (14.05).  There are also charters at about 6am (TUI), and 6.30 (Jet2), so are you on the approx 6.30am?  I am not aware of any upgraded seats on those short haul flights, apart from the emergency exits, which we have booked for ours and would have presumably booked quickly on the other flights.  

If on the charter flight, you should be able to book seats via My Cruises, or direct with the airline for schedule flights.  You may already be aware that everyone has to collect luggage in Malta and take it to a lorry which transports it to the port, whilst we go on a coach, then we next see luggage outside our cabin as usual.

My flight out is at 6:55 am. You can check in up to 28 days before the flight, so I am checked in outbound but the site (Jet2) will not let me check in inbound until tomorrow. Seats are bookable without charge, do not think there are any upgraded ones. Do not know whether this as a scheduled flight or a charter but suspect the former, as if it had been a charter P&O would ondoubtedly have charged extra for booking a specific seat!

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

My flight out is at 6:55 am. You can check in up to 28 days before the flight, so I am checked in outbound but the site (Jet2) will not let me check in inbound until tomorrow. Seats are bookable without charge, do not think there are any upgraded ones. Do not know whether this as a scheduled flight or a charter but suspect the former, as if it had been a charter P&O would ondoubtedly have charged extra for booking a specific seat!

I think the Jet 2 charter leaves before yours but not totally certain.  If you need to book seats with the airline, then I am pretty sure it is a scheduled flight, whilst seats on  charters are booked through a link on the P&O website (via My Cruises).   I have seen lots of posts on another media and people booked with Jet2 schedule flights were able to book seats 60 days prior to flight and were also being charged to book seats (much the same cost as us), so does seem unusual. 

Perhaps you have got some type of flight upgrade with free seat bookings.  It is possible there are some seats with a tad more legroom on your flight, or perhaps they are not booking middle seats, so just window and aisle seats occupied, (DH has had the latter on the second leg of a flight from Lebanon which came from Paris to Manchester, when he was booked on Premium seating for the overall flight booking on another airline.

We are on a B2B with another 16 night cruise starting 6th Oct, so just a one week from the 29th.

Edited by tring

13 hours ago, tring said:

I think the Jet 2 charter leaves before yours but not totally certain.  If you need to book seats with the airline, then I am pretty sure it is a scheduled flight, whilst seats on  charters are booked through a link on the P&O website (via My Cruises).   I have seen lots of posts on another media and people booked with Jet2 schedule flights were able to book seats 60 days prior to flight and were also being charged to book seats (much the same cost as us), so does seem unusual. 

Perhaps you have got some type of flight upgrade with free seat bookings.  It is possible there are some seats with a tad more legroom on your flight, or perhaps they are not booking middle seats, so just window and aisle seats occupied, (DH has had the latter on the second leg of a flight from Lebanon which came from Paris to Manchester, when he was booked on Premium seating for the overall flight booking on another airline.

We are on a B2B with another 16 night cruise starting 6th Oct, so just a one week from the 29th.

Just for curiosity I have looked at Jet2's website. Both my outbound 6:55am and return 12:30 pm flights are shown; the outbound is full, the return has some seats left. So they are both scheduled flights.

• Like 1