HAL Transfer from Vancouver Airport to Canada Place

Roz

I'm sailing from Canada Place on Oct. 2.  I get into Vancouver late on Oct. 1 and am staying at a hotel near the airport.  I purchased a transfer from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Other than the email I received confirming my purchase, I don't have a ticket or time I'm supposed to show up at the airport.

Anyone know how HAL handles this?

1 minute ago, Roz said:

@Mary229, do you happen to know where the desk is located in the airport?  Maybe in the luggage claim area or ground transportation?  Haven't flown in or out of YVR since 2003.

I have not actually been to the Vancouver airport this year.  In Montreal and Anchorage it was near baggage claim and clearly marked. They may share a desk with Princess 

• Like 1

We have used the transfer from the airport to the ship in VAN but it was the same day we cruised.  In our documents we had supplied HAL with our flight # and airline and the HAL/Princess rep had a clipboard with our names and flight listed.  She was near the luggage pick up area and checked us off her list and directed us to the bus.  There is probably a HAL/Princess desk but it may not be open if you arrive late.  If you are staying at the hotel HAL uses you will receive the info when you check in at the hotel.  

If I recall the cruise line reps are in the area immediately after exiting the luggage pickup area which is still within the CBSA controlled area.   Just a thought if the hotel is close to the Canada Line Skytain, it is only about a 25 minute ride to the Waterfront Station with Canada Place on your right when exiting onto Cordova St. It is luggage friendly and elevators can assist you in luggage handling.  

• Like 1

We took the Canada Line train back from our August cruise (we live south of the airport), and with a direct bus it was ~45 minutes and less than $20. It's a straight shot from the airport and faster than a minibus transfer most of the time.

Sometimes we'll splurge and take an Uber, but on the way back it was 2x more expensive than normal due to the huge surge of cruise disembarkations 😆

@Roz

The below is copied from my boarding pass.  Just head over to the airport around 10am or so...

VANCOUVER ARRIVAL INSTRUCTIONS If you have purchased your transfer to the pier through Holland America Line, after completing your landing formalities and claiming your luggage, a representative from Destinations North America will meet you after you exit the Customs/baggage claim area for your transfer to the ship. Our representatives can be recognized by their Holland America Line sign they will be holding. If you cannot locate a representative upon arrival, please call them locally at +1-604-561- 0750.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cowmilker said:

We were there today. There were several HAL reps at the baggage area. Can't miss them.

We took the sky train to downtown  to our hotel. Around $9 each. Easy. Cheap.

And $5 less from the pier to airport!  

• Like 1

The train is cheaper but if you don’t want to struggle with luggage and are traveling solo the transfer is a good option 

I could easily use a city bus too but I prefer to Uber when touring 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Thank you, @julia.   I booked a guarantee and don't have my cabin assignment yet, so haven't printed out the boarding pass.  

I thought about using the Sky Train.  I went on the website and it seems complicated.  I couldn't figure out if there's a station near my hotel, and buying a ticket seems difficult.  Seems like it's set up for daily commuters, not one time users.  I've had bad luck with using public transit in other large cities.  People weren't very patient with me as I tried to figure out how to use a new system.   My biggest concern is traveling with a suitcase and if I would would be able to get it onto the train car and where to stow it once on the train. 

Thanks for everyone's information and advice.

22 minutes ago, Roz said:

Thank you, @julia.   I booked a guarantee and don't have my cabin assignment yet, so haven't printed out the boarding pass.  

I thought about using the Sky Train.  I went on the website and it seems complicated.  I couldn't figure out if there's a station near my hotel, and buying a ticket seems difficult.  Seems like it's set up for daily commuters, not one time users.  I've had bad luck with using public transit in other large cities.  People weren't very patient with me as I tried to figure out how to use a new system.   My biggest concern is traveling with a suitcase and if I would would be able to get it onto the train car and where to stow it once on the train. 

Thanks for everyone's information and advice.

Its been about 3 years since we used the Skytrain, so things may have changed, but our experience was that there are machines on the platform to buy a ticket using a credit card or cash.  No one ever checked our ticket, getting on, getting off or while on the train and we have used it about 5 times over the years.

The cars on the train are larger than the standard ones, to allow for baggage (only on this route) and there is a separate area to hold larger bags.  We never had a problem, with one larger bag and a carryon each.

People using this route are used to tourists and travelers, as it only runs from the airport to the downtown area (no bags allowed on the other subway lines).  

When we stayed near the airport one time, we walked about 3 blocks to the station.  Another option might be to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and get on the Skytrain there.  Station is easy to find and right near the checkin and baggage areas (take a bridge over the road as I recall).  This approach will be quicker, easier and faster IMO than trying to find the HAL shuttle (which sometimes you have to wait to fill up).

Check this out:

https://www.vancouver-travel-tips.com/vancouver-airport-skytrain.html

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Its been about 3 years since we used the Skytrain, so things may have changed, but our experience was that there are machines on the platform to buy a ticket using a credit card or cash.  No one ever checked our ticket, getting on, getting off or while on the train and we have used it about 5 times over the years.

The cars on the train are larger than the standard ones, to allow for baggage (only on this route) and there is a separate area to hold larger bags.  We never had a problem, with one larger bag and a carryon each.

People using this route are used to tourists and travelers, as it only runs from the airport to the downtown area (no bags allowed on the other subway lines).  

When we stayed near the airport one time, we walked about 3 blocks to the station.  Another option might be to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and get on the Skytrain there.  Station is easy to find and right near the checkin and baggage areas (take a bridge over the road as I recall).  This approach will be quicker, easier and faster IMO than trying to find the HAL shuttle (which sometimes you have to wait to fill up).

Check this out:

https://www.vancouver-travel-tips.com/vancouver-airport-skytrain.html

Dave:  We've used the Skytrain several times in the past, and yes, no one checks a ticket because you just "tap out" at your destination (like a subway or the tube in London).  You must purchase a card ($5) and load the fare, so for two 1550184008_Screenshot_20220916-105755_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.42acb7d8c0fa9bcfafe30e6994dfc8f6.jpgfrom YVR to City Centre, it's $10 for cards and $18 for fare.  Since taxi's from YVR have fixed zone rates, we'll spend a few more $ on that.  See graphic....

We just did this yesterday. Kiosk to buy tickets, easy to use.  Roomy train. Lots of luggage. 

We had two large suitcases and 2 carry ons and a Bipap machine and we are old and slow and I hurt my hip just before leaving home and hence can't move well and nobody minded.

On weekends,  you only need ticket for one zone, so it's cheap, quick and easy.

• Like 1

Interesting...none of this is explained on the Sky Train website.  So I buy a card I'll never use again and load the fare?  What does "tap out" mean?  Sorry, we don't have subways or passenger trains in Nashville.

Anyone know how to cancel a HAL transfer?

I assume you’d have to call hal to cancel.  We have transit trains where I live and I have no idea what tap out means.  While I don’t live in Vancouver I have no desire to take transit anywhere.  I do that enough at home and it’s gross.  I don’t get on it without disposable gloves and a mask.  It’s bad enough with a purse and a bag.  No way would I do it with a purse, a carry on and a suitcase to save $20.  My comfort is worth more than that.  Good luck to you Roz.

• Like 2

You should be able to tap in and out with a credit card (that supports tap), debit card (Interac), any Apple Pay device, or a system ticket/card. I haven't tested the Apple Pay method, but my partner regularly forgets their system card and taps with their Visa. You can optionally buy tickets at the kiosks just before the gates, which is a bit cheaper than using your credit/debit card directly. These kiosks sell single passes (3 zone) and stored/monthly cards (called Compass cards). Unless you're planning on using transit for a few days, the stored cards aren't much of a savings.

On the Skytrain, you tap in to pass the gates on to a platform. You tap out when leaving the platforms later. This ensures the correct amount is charged to your ticket or card.

On a bus, you merely tap in by the driver, tapping out was tested by never implemented (hint: no one did it). The driver can help you if tap isn't working. I once tried to tap using my Holland America room key (as it was in my pocket too), and the driver politely reminded me to use a real card.

• Thanks 1

We had the HAL transfer this August, we got to Vancouver on Friday, left on our cruise on Sunday. We stayed at the HI express and took the train into the city on Saturday,  it was so easy that we decided to take the train Sunday morning also. We didn't cancel our HAL transfer, just didn't use it. There was space for our bags on the train and you just take it to the last station, it was very simple. HI express was close enough to walk to the station, just cut behind costco

• Like 1

@Roz  enjoy your trip.  When we go off  in Vancouver we booked the luggage transfer and Hop on.   It was our “free” excursion.  What a dream.  We put the bags out overnight and didn’t see them until we arrived at our hotel that evening. (They deliver to your airline too).  Breezed through customs, Stepped outside, down the walkway, and onto our hop on bus.  Those buses were on time every time.  They give you a rail card to get to the airport or in our case we hopped off a block from our hotel. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 10:21 AM, Roz said:

Interesting...none of this is explained on the Sky Train website.  So I buy a card I'll never use again and load the fare?  What does "tap out" mean?  Sorry, we don't have subways or passenger trains in Nashville.

Anyone know how to cancel a HAL transfer?

Unfortunately @juliahas not only posted a Zone map that's several years out of date (prices have gone up twice and zone boundaries have changed too) but also gave incorrect information about how local transit fares actually work. I think there may have been some confusion about the $5 AddFare fee from YVR and the $6 Deposit to 'buy' your own reusable Compass Card... if you've been buying cards every time you visit us Julia, hopefully you still have them at home - if so, bring them with you and visit the Translink Customer Care centre and they will refund you all of the deposits and remaining balances, which might add up to a tidy sum!

Acquiring a Compass Card is great if you are going to be staying here for a while, or are returning in the future, as they give you discounted fares - but the card deposit can only be reclaimed by visiting the physical office location of Translink or by mailing your card back, in which case you'll get your card balance and the $6 card deposit returned as a Canadian $ Cheque... a hassle for most tourists.

For folks here just looking to get from airport to pier, or with a little precruise time who want to do a day of sightseeing by transit, regular one-shot tickets work best. Even with the airport AddFare a Solo traveler will save plenty cash by taking transit (long story short, the Canada Line to YVR was partly funded by private equity, so until that's paid off an extra fee of $5pp is applied to all tickets coming into the city from there). Depending on time and day, a Senior might pay as little as <US$5 inbound, or about a buck-fifty the other way from from city to airport - highest possible fee is Adult fare, Daytime, Weekday, and even that's only CAD$9.45 (~US$7).

It was noted above by another local that if you are happy to pay an undiscounted Adult fare, you don't even have to buy a ticket - just tap your Visa, MC, or payment-enabled smartphone on the fare gate sensor and you will be billed the correct amount. If you're not used to transit with Zoned fares and automated ticket machines, the simplicity of just tapping your credit card is a big win - frankly worth the small extra fee if you would be entitled to a senior Concession fare!

Personally I always recommend everyone, unless they are physically troubled to the extent that they cannot walk with their own bags from airport carousels to curb and need to use porters, to cancel ALL cruiseline transfers as they are vastly overpriced - even if you are the kind of person who just doesn't 'do' public transit, your very own taxi would cost you less than a transfer. Current zone map can always be found on this page of the YVR website, Pier from Airport is CAD$38 at the moment, approx US$29, but that would cost the same whether 1 person rides or there's a bum on every seat. Share a cab with a couple of fellow cruisers, tip the driver 15%, and fork over <US$12pp...

The cheapest cruiseline transfer I've ever seen is US$29pp - and I've heard of much higher rates this season since cruising restarted - and while that at least roughly cancels out a cab fare on the way from the airport, the same rates are charged for Hotel to Pier transfers... even to the Pan Pacific, which is literally above the pier inside the same building! Most other Vancouver hotels are within a $10 cab ride - only hotels out in Richmond will have you forking over a cab fare that's $40+, and even then for 2 or more people it's still a big saving!

@DaveOKCBeware of the travel tips link in your post, as it was wrong when first published and is even more wrong now about a whole passel of stuff. It's just info snagged from other websites to generate ad income - truly awful, at best correct at the time of copying from elsewhere but now almost all the specific info given is wrong due to lack of updates... in the context of this thread, his SkyTrain pricing has been wrong since first published (airport to city is 2 zone fare since the day it opened) and the price he quotes was last valid even for a 1 zone fare on June 30, 2017...

• Like 5

@martincath

Oh. My. Gosh.  This is surprising.  What?  I pulled that graphic directly from the YVR site, but didn't think verify the dates/rates.  😥  Thank you SO much for stepping in and clarifying this.  You are a valuable member of Cruise Critic and I so appreciate your posts.

8 hours ago, julia said:

@martincath

Oh. My. Gosh.  This is surprising.  What?  I pulled that graphic directly from the YVR site, but didn't think verify the dates/rates.  😥  Thank you SO much for stepping in and clarifying this.  You are a valuable member of Cruise Critic and I so appreciate your posts.

No worries - a lot of folks post out-of-date documents like the cruise schedule or taxi zone map simply because it was the current one at the time they saved it, it was useful for them, and they're trying to pass along some help.

I always try to link to the page a doc can be found, so the most up-to-date version is always there, but even that's not foolproof as the sites themselves get overhauled now & again and reorganize pages. YVR in particular is bad at maintaining their website, in that they almost never delete redundant documents so you can find an awful lot of out-of-date info when Googling rather than working your way through the site from the homepage the way they want people to do.

I had no concern that you were trying to mislead anyone - I was worried you'd been wasting your vacation budget buying reusable transit passes and then throwing them away though;-)