LAX Uber/black or Private Car Please help

chiokie

My wife and I, both seniors, have decided to treat ourselves to curbside pickup at LAX. We have not used Uber but have the app on our smart phones. Is Uber/black readily available at LAX? Can anyone recommend a private car service that we can trust?

We are arriving on a Friday at 9:30 AM and going to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro.

Any recommendations or information would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, chiokie said:

My wife and I, both seniors, have decided to treat ourselves to curbside pickup at LAX. We have not used Uber but have the app on our smart phones. Is Uber/black readily available at LAX? Can anyone recommend a private car service that we can trust?

Uber Black is readily available and is very easy and reliable at LAX-- they will pick you up curbside. Don't request the car until you have your luggage as the pickup will be fairly quick. You also have the option of spending a bit more and taking UberLux which will be higher end cars-- usually Mercedes S Class but sometimes an odd Bentley or Rolls Royce. 

If you want to schedule a pickup another app to download is called BlackLane-- it is a bit more expensive than UberBlack but will also be curbside and pools from some of the top black car providers in the area. 

• Like 2

We just used UberXL black at San Pedro and even made a reservation for a specific time.  It's more expensive than normal Uber, but with two little GD's and cruise luggage it was well worth it.  We have used private limo services a few times and the nice thing is the driver will usually meet you at baggage claim and help with your luggage.  I know LAX drastically changed how car hires make pickups so I'm not sure it works the same. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I know LAX drastically changed how car hires make pickups so I'm not sure it works the same.

You can get a curbside pick up at LAX with a licensed black car-- UberBlack/Lux, Lyft black car equivalent, or a traditional car service. Regular Uber/Lyft pickups have to be at LAXit offsite area so a little more of a hassle to save a bit more on the ride itself. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You can get a curbside pick up at LAX with a licensed black car-- UberBlack/Lux, Lyft black car equivalent, or a traditional car service. Regular Uber/Lyft pickups have to be at LAXit offsite area so a little more of a hassle to save a bit more on the ride itself. 

Good to know, I avoid LAX at all cost.  But "cost" being what it is I'm flying from there in November to MCO.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, marden1970 said:

Hi, I've been following this and making note of the car services that can pick you up curbside, which we will need - my DH has mobility issues.  Does anyone know of a service that will meet your at baggage claim to help with your luggage?  Thanks.

When I have booked a car service they all would meet me at baggage claim if I requested/paid for it.  I use limos.xxx to price shop.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just remember "curbside" pickup at LAX is across on the outer curb...and it's a traffic mess. Have been there a couple of times in the last month as recently as a few days ago.

That’s scary.  Do the private car services just have you text them which post your standing at?

So, do cross over medians to get to the outer curb?  
TIA

15 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s scary.  Do the private car services just have you text them which post your standing at?

So, do cross over medians to get to the outer curb?  
TIA

I would imagine they do. Yes...cross over to stand on the outer median. The only vehicle that uses the curbside lane are bus's like Flyaway & LAX-IT etc....watch your step as you cross.

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, marden1970 said:

Hi, I've been following this and making note of the car services that can pick you up curbside, which we will need - my DH has mobility issues.  Does anyone know of a service that will meet your at baggage claim to help with your luggage?  Thanks.

I've had many family members use and be happy with, Lansky Transportation.

I am not sure if any company is allowed to meet you at the baggage carousel. I think you have to get your luggage from the baggage carousel to the pick-up curb. There might be a porter to help from baggage carousel to the pick-up curb.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:45 AM, phabric said:

Would also like to know how much to tip car service?

To me it always depends on how much work they do. I tip drivers 10-20% of the fare.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I've had many family members use and be happy with, Lansky Transportation.

I am not sure if any company is allowed to meet you at the baggage carousel. I think you have to get your luggage from the baggage carousel to the pick-up curb. There might be a porter to help from baggage carousel to the pick-up curb.

To me it always depends on how much work they do. I tip drivers 10-20% of the fare.

Just at LAX this past Sunday and saw several companies with signs and luggage trolly's waiting to assist their passengers at the baggage carousel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We're doing the reverse....

Renting a car when we land at LAX and driving to family for a few days and they will drive us to the ship on departure day. 

However, on the return home I was planning not to bother them, and hire a car service to drive us from Navigator of the Seas back to LAX.

I know uberXL well.... but knowing cali traffic can be an absolute bear, I was wondering if there was a Larry's Limo type service (cheap cruise limo's in Miami) that works the port in LA.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:19 PM, RCCL Fan said:

I know uberXL well.... but knowing cali traffic can be an absolute bear, I was wondering if there was a Larry's Limo type service (cheap cruise limo's in Miami) that works the port in LA.

Nope.

MIA is 8 miles/15 minutes from the cruise port. LAX is 20 miles/35-60 minutes from the San Pedro cruise terminal

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, scottca075 said:

Nope.

MIA is 8 miles/15 minutes from the cruise port. LAX is 20 miles/35-60 minutes from the San Pedro cruise terminal

Didn't mean mileage wise.

I always fly into MIA because we fly American Airlines and we sail out of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale which is more than 30 miles away.

Most limo companies in Miami charge things like a minimum $600 charge for 2-3 hours.  But Larry's will drive you from airport to port for like under $150.

I was hoping for something similar. 

2 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Didn't mean mileage wise. I always fly into MIA because we fly American Airlines and we sail out of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale which is more than 30 miles away. Most limo companies in Miami charge things like a minimum $600 charge for 2-3 hours.  But Larry's will drive you from airport to port for like under $150.

In So Cal it is never about distance, it is time. No one asks "how far is XYZ" it is "how long to get to XYZ". Very few companies do flat rate because it is so unpredictable how long a trip will be. You can get quotes from shuttle companies, but they change commiserate with time of day, day of the week, etc.

• Like 1