Staying in SF

Katnisslove

Hi, so I know I'm really early but looking at places to stay for my 6/6/23 cruise.  We would be flying in 6/5 so would need a hotel near the pier (or one with a free shuttle). We are then staying 6/16-6/20 so were hoping to either use the same hotel or one with a free shuttle to the airport, a good breakfast included would be great also?  Any ideas??

6 minutes ago, Katnisslove said:

Hi, so I know I'm really early but looking at places to stay for my 6/6/23 cruise.  We would be flying in 6/5 so would need a hotel near the pier (or one with a free shuttle).

You are early but just make sure whatever you book has a reasonable cancellation policy so you can book a less expensive option if it becomes available closer to departure. You aren't going to find any hotels with free cruise shuttles in downtown SF. Uber and Lyft are easy and inexpensive to use to get to the pier. 

8 minutes ago, Katnisslove said:

We are then staying 6/16-6/20 so were hoping to either use the same hotel or one with a free shuttle to the airport, a good breakfast included would be great also?  Any ideas??

Likewise there are no hotels in downtown SF that have a free airport shuttle-- Uber, Lyft, taxi, or BART public transportation are going to be your only options to the airport. 

• Like 2

There are many threads on hotels and transport mentioned here.

Not sure why you think its too early to book. Just make a booking that doesn't require money up front. You can always re-book if rates go down. Your trip coincides with the start of summer business in SF, so it can get very busy.

My DH and I always stay at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf.  It is clean, safe and walkable to many restaurants and public transportation.  After having a complimenary hot breakfast in the morning we have the front desk call a taxi for us and make our way to the port.  It's just a few minutes ride and under $20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

My DH and I always stay at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf.

The HIE Fisherman's Wharf is fine one night pre or post cruise, it would not be my choice for spending several days in SF. For several days, depending on budget I'd choose Union Square, the Embarcadero or Nob Hill.

• Like 2

As pointed out free shuttles in SF are like spotting a unicorn.  If you are coming from NJ the time change will be favorable, but if getting in late I would stay near SFO and get an Uber the next day to the port.  Hotels near SFO can be more reasonable than downtown.  On your return, since you are spending a few days, I wouldn't stay near the port.  SF is a compact city and I would stay near Union Square.  Uber is plentiful and can take you most any where in the city within minutes.  Union Square is a great walking area.  BTW: it's never to early to RSVP.  I get laughed at when I book Hilton a year out.  They don't laugh when what I paid is half of what others pay when it gets closer.  We leave next week for the Albuquerque balloon fest and the rooms I booked ten months ago are now more than double what I paid.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

BTW: it's never to early to RSVP.  I get laughed at when I book Hilton a year out.  They don't laugh when what I paid is half of what others pay when it gets closer.  We leave next week for the Albuquerque balloon fest and the rooms I booked ten months ago are now more than double what I paid.  

Right now we're at the top of the market for 4-5 star hotels-- there is going to be an adjustment. Hotels have been taking advantage of a repressed market where folks were looking to travel again this summer with a vengeance and charged an arm and a leg. That will change as we head into a light (hopefully) recession and overall spending goes down. I would book something now that is cancellable-- there is a good chance you might find something in several months that will be lower as you get closer to departure. 

15 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

. I would book something now that is cancellable-- there is a good chance you might find something in several months that will be lower as you get closer to departure. 

That's why I'm Hilton brand loyal.  Hilton has the best CE policy.  Big problem with SF is they book huge conventions years in advance, so otherwise reasonable room rates aren't.  I booked five rooms at Coco Beach, FL Garden Inn ten months ago for our Thanksgiving cruise.  They have been more than double the price for the last three months.  In fact, one set of kids can't make it until the second night of the hotel stay.  It's cheaper for me to check them in and eat the empty room than rebook for just two nights.  

Booked RIU Plaza Fisherman's Wharf 5/12/2023 in July for 3 days $793 free cancellation up to 48 hours cruise on Miracle 5/15. never been this far west. Close to cable cars, street cars, big bus tours the things we want to do.Keeping a watch on price watching online reviews

2 hours ago, Theo1429 said:

Any reasons why what would you recommend thanks 

I work in San Francisco and it just has a very bad reputation. If you want to stay at Fisherman's Wharf, the better value hotels are the Hotel Zoe and Hotel Caza. My favorites are the Argonaut and Hyatt Centric. Others worth looking at are the Holiday Inn Express, Marriott Courtyard and Pulse Marriott.

Just outside Fisherman's Wharf is the very popular Columbus Motor Inn.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I work in San Francisco and it just has a very bad reputation. If you want to stay at Fisherman's Wharf, the better value hotels are the Hotel Zoe and Hotel Caza. My favorites are the Argonaut and Hyatt Centric. Others worth looking at are the Holiday Inn Express, Marriott Courtyard and Pulse Marriott.

Just outside Fisherman's Wharf is the very popular Columbus Motor Inn.

Thanks for the info 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people are so set on staying near Fisherman's Wharf or the port.  SF is such a compact city there's many many better places to stay outside of that area.  You can stay just about anywhere in the City that is a ten minute Uber to Fisherman's Wharf.  We use to do long weekends in the City a couple of times a year and the FW/port area is pretty much the last area I would stay, outside the Tenderloin.  Financial District and Union Square were our choices.  Great places to eat and less touristy than FW area.  But that's just my opinion.    

On 9/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, Theo1429 said:

Booked RIU Plaza Fisherman's Wharf 5/12/2023 in July for 3 days $793 free cancellation up to 48 hours cruise on Miracle 5/15. never been this far west. Close to cable cars, street cars, big bus tours the things we want to do.Keeping a watch on price watching online reviews

Stayed there before a Panama Canal cruise, great location and good breakfast.  Just watch out for the "Resort Fees" there (and most other hotels in the area)

22 hours ago, txjim09 said:

Stayed there before a Panama Canal cruise, great location and good breakfast.  Just watch out for the "Resort Fees" there (and most other hotels in the area)

Did you have any problems thanks

Just now, Theo1429 said:

Did you have any problems thanks

Only problem was in regards missing the first night due to an ice storm in Texas, not the hotels fault.  I called to make sure they did not cancel the reservation but, upon check-in, much typing and checking with management took place.  Not an issue, still got the room.  Got charged for the missed night, as was expected.

Strongly recommend you Uber or Lyft on the street away from  the hotel driveway, it's a madhouse during checkout.  It seemed that a good number of the people were heading toward the pier with a long line of cars waiting their turn and a large number of people straining to find their ride.

When I booked, breakfast was an option you could select.  It's a large room with good selections and very well organized.  It's a large hotel but the staff keeps things moving pretty well.

Looking to book again for an April cruise but need to get past the resort fee.  Hate that line item.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 10:54 AM, scottca075 said:

The HIE Fisherman's Wharf is fine one night pre or post cruise, it would not be my choice for spending several days in SF. For several days, depending on budget I'd choose Union Square, the Embarcadero or Nob Hill.

@scottca075 We are staying two nights pre cruise in May.  Curious why not Fisherman's Wharf?  I know everyone says it's touristy, which we're okay with for a first visit.  What hotels would you recommend if not Fisherman's Wharf? I'd like to keep it under $300 a night, if that's an option.  We will not have a car, so looking for walkable to restaurants.   Thank you!!!!!

1 hour ago, lakegirl16 said:

Curious why not Fisherman's Wharf?  I know everyone says it's touristy, which we're okay with for a first visit. 

It's essentially SF's version of Times Square in New York-- there are just nicer, quieter areas of town to stay in. I agree with Scott that this would not be my first choice in area to stay and the restaurants that are there are not SF's best. 

Personally Nob Hill is my favorite area to stay in-- walking distance (downhill!) to virtually everything and more residential feeling. Personal favorite there would the the Fairmont Hotel which can sometimes be had at or a little below $300 if you plan in advance and its not during a busy time. Intercontinental Mark Hopkins next door also can be in that price range.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 12:13 PM, lakegirl16 said:

@scottca075 We are staying two nights pre cruise in May.  Curious why not Fisherman's Wharf?  I know everyone says it's touristy, which we're okay with for a first visit.  What hotels would you recommend if not Fisherman's Wharf? I'd like to keep it under $300 a night, if that's an option.  We will not have a car, so looking for walkable to restaurants.   Thank you!!!!!

Look at the Columbus Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Inn, Coventry Inn, Chelsea Inn and Cow Hollow Suites. They are all good values, in nice areas, walkable to good dining.

Fisherman's Wharf is beyond touristy. It is overpriced, poor dining choices close by and an exceptionally bad place for a first impression of San Francisco. Main Street USA in Disneyland is more authentic than Fisherman's Wharf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, marden1970 said:

My DH and I always stay at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf.  It is clean, safe and walkable to many restaurants and public transportation.  After having a complimenary hot breakfast in the morning we have the front desk call a taxi for us and make our way to the port.  It's just a few minutes ride and under $20.

I second this.  We were worried about the Welfare Weed in SF, but HIE was surprisingly clean and free of idiots (Powell St exit off BART is another matter.)  Plus, there's an In and Out around the corner.  Had the most excellent staff member, Brandy, who took great care of us.  Decent breakfast.  Less than $200/night.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:39 PM, scottca075 said:

Fisherman's Wharf is beyond touristy. It is overpriced, poor dining choices close by and an exceptionally bad place for a first impression of San Francisco. Main Street USA in Disneyland is more authentic than Fisherman's Wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf is useful to the extent that it works to get the tourists out of the way of everyone else. That said, there is some (limited) authenticity to the area: The Hyde Street pier had been the route of U.S. 101 for ferries northward before the bridge was built; at present the steam ferry vessel Eureka (formerly Ukiah) is laid up there, and it, along with other historic vessels, is worth a visit. For rail enthusiasts, the Jones Street terminal, between Beach Street and Jefferson Street, can be a good location from which to photograph the various streetcars as they stand at the terminal. Certain ferries depart from Pier 41. In short, for persons interested in transportation, there are a few things of interest. But otherwise, there's little reason to go there . . . it is just an awful place to be.

• Haha 1