Surprise birthday specialty dinner

We are going on a cruise with a couple, one of whose birthday is during the cruise.  I have some unused OBC and was thinking of buying them dinner at a specialty restaurant as a "surprise" birthday present.  I already have a 3 night package.  Is it possible to for me to buy it in the planner and then "gift" it to them once onboard or do I have to wait until I am actually onboard?  Will royal let me use my OBC on their account or how exactly can I make this work?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Is it possible to for me to buy it in the planner and then "gift" it to them once onboard or do I have to wait until I am actually onboard? 

That might work - when they show up for dinner just have them use your cabin number. This assumes you will use your 3 night package on some other nights. If you want to join them, it might get more complicated but you should be able to arrange on board. 

• Like 1

If you want it to be a surprise, I would arrange it onboard.  Otherwise it could show up on their planner if you book in their names, or on a card in their cabin — can’t remember if my specialty dining bookings show up in the pile on the desk.  I’ve previously purchased specialty dining for others before the cruise, but never as a surprise.  If you book it in your name, you might or might not be able to have them use it.  

16 hours ago, flamingos said:

That would ruin the surprise.

Good point.  My thought would be to make the reservation in *MY* name, then once on board, go to the restaurant, explain the situation and see how they suggest handling it.   It might be as simple as them making a note on the reservation that while "Joe Blow" has made the reservation and paid for it, "John Smith" will actually be the one dining with them. 

If for some reason a satisfactory solution can't be made, you can always cancel it. 

• Like 1