Public transport in ports of call

Australian cruises. Sept 2022

Pleasing to see cruiseships spending overnight in ports - Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney,  Melbourne, Hobart etc 

Best get a local smart card ticketing system  for travel on transport around the city. There is convenience,  huge cost savings and cost caps per day. 

Seniors  have an amazingly inexpensive time, but seniors' cards must be purchased in advance. 

Sydney - Opal card:  https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/get-opal-card

Hobart: Green card: https://www.metrotas.com.au/fares/greencard/

Melbourne: Myki card:  https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki

Brisbane GoCard: https://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/go-card

Ian 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

In Melbourne, pre-COVID, we were always able to buy the MYKI card in the cruise terminal after we arrived - not in advance. It was quite convenient.

Same now, last week I bought a Myki Card at the terminal for the bus (109) to city, tap on showed $2.30.  No cash for card purchases they will only take cards. Very convenient now 109 goes from actual terminal not for end of pier. Very good service.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In Melbourne, pre-COVID, we were always able to buy the MYKI card in the cruise terminal after we arrived - not in advance. It was quite convenient.

Yes we did too. very convedient tram into and around the city, even took the tram to the zoo.

Just now, NSWP said:

Same now, last week I bought a Myki Card at the terminal for the bus (109) to city, tap on showed $2.30.  No cash for card purchases they will only take cards. Very convenient now 109 goes from actual terminal not for end of pier. Very good service.

Great. I'm glad to see that the same system still operates, rather than pre-purchase, as mentioned in the original post.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Also available at the shop adjacent to the tram terminus.

Edited by arxcards

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

The key point is that in Melbourne, the travel card (MYKI) does not have to bought ahead.

Yeah, I guess, and I agree. My key point is get your first decent coffee for days when you buy your MYKI. 😁

• Haha 1

Pity we can’t have one card, rather than needing a different one in each state, they can do it wit( toll roads why not public transport, so many ca4ds with a couple of $$$ on them, probably buy a nice pie and Coke if I could get all those $$$

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Pity we can’t have one card, rather than needing a different one in each state, they can do it wit( toll roads why not public transport, so many ca4ds with a couple of $$$ on them, probably buy a nice pie and Coke if I could get all those $$$

Agree totally. We have to get the cards, then put dollars on, not knowing how much we will need. There is always some left over.

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agree totally. We have to get the cards, then put dollars on, not knowing how much we will need. There is always some left over.

For anyone interstate from NSW, you can also tap-on and off with your contactless credit/debit card. You each need your own card, but it saves all the stuffing around to get Opal for one ir two trips. The exclusion to that is it assumes adult fare, so more expensive to anyone who is travelling on a concession.

Do any other states do this?

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yeah, I guess, and I agree. My key point is get your first decent coffee for days when you buy your MYKI. 😁

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Sydney concession card needs to be organised in advance, ottherwise it is standard rate.  Can Myki concession cards be bought on arrival at ticket offices? 

You don't need to buy an Opal card for Sydney public transport, provided you have a credit card for each person, which you can use to tap on and off on harbour ferries, trains and light rail and buses.  You can't share one card for two people - must have one for each person.  The savings on seniors discount are too small to be worried about the extra hassle of getting an Opal card in advance for just a day or two travel.

Unfortunately you can't do the same in Melbourne, you have to buy the Myki card ($6 or $3 for Australian Seniors), but it is readily obtainable at the port. Melbourne has a free tram area around the CBD, where you don't need a card, plus a tourist route with historical trams and a commentary, also free.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cronkcrank said:

Sydney concession card needs to be organised in advance, ottherwise it is standard rate.  Can Myki concession cards be bought on arrival at ticket offices? 

Geoff (Arxcards) and I have both posted comments (above) that the MYKI cards can be bought on arrival. 😁 We have both done it. The cards can also be bought at the little shop  opposite the wharf.

At the desk in the cruise terminal there was a sign that said pensioners were entitled to the discount rate. When I queried them at the desk, they conceded that it also included others with concession cards including self-funded retirees. The person I spoke to didn't seem to realise there was a difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

You don't need to buy an Opal card for Sydney public transport, provided you have a credit card for each person, which you can use to tap on and off on harbour ferries, trains and light rail and buses.  You can't share one card for two people - must have one for each person.  The savings on seniors discount are too small to be worried about the extra hassle of getting an Opal card in advance for just a day or two travel.

Unfortunately you can't do the same in Melbourne, you have to buy the Myki card ($6 or $3 for Australian Seniors), but it is readily obtainable at the port. Melbourne has a free tram area around the CBD, where you don't need a card, plus a tourist route with historical trams and a commentary, also free.

Last week they charged me $8 for a day card, that was the minimum. the actual cost of the 109 bus Terminal to City and return was $2.30 each way, it showed up as that when I tapped on/off. So they owe me $3.40. I will donate it to the Dan Andrews retirement fund, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Last week they charged me $8 for a day card, that was the minimum. the actual cost of the 109 bus Terminal to City and return was $2.30 each way, it showed up as that when I tapped on/off. So they owe me $3.40. I will donate it to the Dan Andrews retirement fund, LOL.

I have 3 x MYKI's with a bit of balance left on each. In the end, it is a lot cheaper than getting a tour, but it would be nicer if you could still just pay for individual tickets like the old days.

• Like 1

Just to add, some pensioners (like my mum) would do anything to save $1, and wouldn't dare pay for a full fare. When they initially took the concession single trip tickets out of the machines, she decided to queue for 15 minutes to buy one at the CQ ticket window, where you could get one with the appropriate ID. I insisted on paying for an adult ticket out of the machine, but no, we missed a train instead. As soon as that option was no longer possible, she ordered a concession Opal that she sometimes uses once per year.

I have a pile of Adult OPAL cards which were the only ones they sold at the airport.  Then I go to Central Railway Station to sort out my Concession OPAL card.  Now I just read you have to put $35 on Adult OPAL cards because passengers were putting a small amount on, then throwing their card Away..  Ill have to allow lots of time at Railway Station to sort out my OPAL Cards tomorrow.    If they have expired I'll use the house adult OPAL cards until I can organise Concession Cards.

BTW Adelaide has a good system.  You just show the Tourist Office your State Concession Card and they  will issue a local one.  

2 minutes ago, fairywren said:

I just dug out our opal concession cards from the last Sydney trip 3 1/2 years ago.

Checked on the website and they are both still valid with a balance of $2.50, surprised me.

That is good news indeed.  How do you check on website?

Just checked my opal cards -

Senior exp 6.3.19

senior exp 12.7.19

senior exp 21.6.17

• adult no date
  • senior no date - both in same folder

These two might be OK. 

house senior cards no date (2)

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is good news indeed.  How do you check on website?

Just checked my opal cards -

Senior exp 6.3.19

senior exp 12.7.19

senior exp 21.6.17

• adult no date
  • senior no date - both in same folder

These two might be OK. 

house senior cards no date (2)

opal.com.au - I had to select a new password, or call 136725.

Our cards (senior/pensioner) don’t show any expiry date?

Edited by fairywren

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes, if you're just going into the city and back the day passes aren't good value. We managed to get good value from ours though - tram to stop near South Wharf (which is outside the free zone), then tram to the top of Bourke St, then tram back to pier. Then tram into city again to meet eldest GD for dinner. I think we used up our $8 worth. We actually bought a two day pass and the extra day was only about $4.50, and we got full value from that as well.