Hurricane Ian and impact on Florida

phissy

Mine was cancelled for the 09-29-2022

IMPORTANT CANCELLATION NOTICE:
 Ship: MSC Divina  -  Sailing: 9/29/2022   

September 27, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your upcoming cruise vacation.

As you are probably aware, Hurricane Ian is rapidly intensifying and is predicted to continue its path towards the Gulf Coast and make landfall in Florida in the coming days. The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is always a top priority at MSC Cruises.

Due to the weather conditions forecasted for the region, we regret to inform you that the 9/29/2022 sailing of MSC Divina from Port Canaveral has been cancelled. Out of an abundance of caution, and concern for the safety of our guests and crew, MSC Divina will remain at sea to avoid the path of the storm.

We know the time and effort which goes into planning a vacation, and we share your disappointment over this cancellation. We would like to provide you with the following 2 options:

• To reschedule your cruise to an alternative ship and sailing date, please call your Travel Advisor – or if you booked directly with MSC Cruises, call us at 1-833-841-9366 and reference your booking number. Our representatives will be happy to help you reschedule your cruise. Please note the prevailing rate of the new cruise will apply.
  • If you choose not to reschedule at this time, you can cancel your cruise and you will be refunded the full amount paid to MSC with no cancellation fees. Please call your Travel Advisor -or if you booked directly with MSC Cruises, call us at call us at 1-833-841-9366. Our representatives will be happy to assist you.

We know you’ve been looking forward to your cruise, and we regret the impact this storm may have on your vacation. While this change is due to circumstances beyond our control, we appreciate your understanding.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard MSC Cruises in the near future!

Sincerely,
MSC Cruises USA

10 minutes ago, cellfree said:

In Puerto Plata today, Wednesday, along with Seashore. Yesterday was a Sea Day as opposed to Ocean Cay. 2:33 pm now, have not had a weather and/or schedule update today from Captain.

Thanks for the update. 

Back online this morning, Thursday. We have all been given new keys that are dated through October 1 BUT we have not been told officially when we will disembark. Later today we will be given an update. Our letter yesterday implied Friday morning but just saw flooding in Orlando area on news so cannot imagine them disembarking us in the morning. But still remains “wait and see.” Anyone else know more than I do? For us, because we live on Gulf Coast, as crazy as it seems, disembarking later than earlier is better, allows more time for cleanup and power restoration etc. 

My TA is on a cruise out of Port Canaveral and also is getting extra days due to the hurricane. He told me that once the storm is away from the port, part of the work to be done to allow ships to dock is a sonar check underwater to look for any sunken objects. I'm not sure how long that would take in addition to all the visible clean up needed (in case they don't mention this to any of you on board and waiting).

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Anyone else know more than I do? For us, because we live on Gulf Coast, as crazy as it seems, disembarking later than earlier is better, allows more time for cleanup and power restoration etc. 

I don't know if you have mentioned where you live on the Gulf Ciast.

Here in Citrus County there is very little damage and 99.99% of us never lost power.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I don't know if you have mentioned where you live on the Gulf Ciast.

Here in Citrus County there is very little damage and 99.99% of us never lost power.

We are Sarasota County, most likely w/o power, neighbors say little damage, not sure when we will see our home, just cruising along for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cellfree said:

We are Sarasota County, most likely w/o power, neighbors say little damage, not sure when we will see our home, just cruising along for now. 

My MIL is in Sun City Center 100 miles north of Ft Myers and they lost power, heavy rain and wind but no significant damage. Just hoping the power comes back soon as her husband is on oxygen.  They do have a small generator for it thank goodness 

Seems like Ft Myers, Sanibel and Captiva took the hardest hit. Causeway is washed out to Sanibel. Pictures are devastating. Praying everyone got out before it hit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Seems like Ft Myers, Sanibel and Captiva took the hardest hit. Causeway is washed out to Sanibel. Pictures are devastating. Praying everyone got out before it hit. 

Unfortunately that’s correct.

The outer islands Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers Beach and Pine Island have catastrophic damages due to flooding and high winds.

Sanibel Causeway is damaged in 4 locations, no way to get to or from the island except by boat or air (helicopter). Rescue crews are working hard to get everybody from the island.

Marco Island, Naples, Fort Myers and Cape Coral have heavy flooding.

Most parts of coastal counties (Collier, Lee, Charlotte) are without power and water.

I didn’t lose power and internet.. but have no water (city water) since this morning.

No damage to the house.

Flights, hotel and MSC cruise booked..

leaving Sunday for Spain..

I have mixed feelings about the trip..

According to James Van Fleet, Chief Meteorologist for Royal Caribbean, Port Canaveral will have a channel inspection that will start Friday morning and they hope to have it completed by Friday evening. Until that is completed and the channel is given the all clear, it sounds like the port will remain in Zulu (all stop) condition. The Friday inspection is most likely why the Disney Wish announced it wasn't going to return until Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Unfortunately that’s correct.

The outer islands Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers Beach and Pine Island have catastrophic damages due to flooding and high winds.

Sanibel Causeway is damaged in 4 locations, no way to get to or from the island except by boat or air (helicopter). Rescue crews are working hard to get everybody from the island.

Marco Island, Naples, Fort Myers and Cape Coral have heavy flooding.

Most parts of coastal counties (Collier, Lee, Charlotte) are without power and water.

I didn’t lose power and internet.. but have no water (city water) since this morning.

No damage to the house.

Flights, hotel and MSC cruise booked..

leaving Sunday for Spain..

I have mixed feelings about the trip..

We’re heartbroken for everyone impacted by this devastating storm. We’ve been spending a lot of time in that area of FL the last few years looking for property because we want to retire there in the near future. 

I’m glad to hear that you didn’t have damage to your home. I can understand you having mixed feelings about going away after what you’re living through at the moment. I hope you can go and enjoy yourself. Life is precious for sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cellfree said:

On Divina, announced at dinner that ship will not return to Port Canaveral to disembark until (at least) Saturday morning as Coast Guard has not given us clearance yet. So Friday is another Day at Sea, close to Port though I believe. 

Looks like you're on a leisurely track under the Keys right now and you'll probably head up towards Port Canaveral later today. Barring any issues with the channel you should be coming back in tomorrow. Port Canaveral's website still showing Zulu this morning with no updates on the channel inspections yet nor any updated information on their Twitter feed yet. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cellfree said:

On Divina, announced at dinner that ship will not return to Port Canaveral to disembark until (at least) Saturday morning as Coast Guard has not given us clearance yet. So Friday is another Day at Sea, close to Port though I believe. 

It’s Friday morning. I’m at breakfast. We are just now turning north in the Florida Straits north of Cuba. Clearly movement towards Port Canaveral is being coordinated. Divina’s next cruise is not until Sunday so I would think we would not be the highest priority for a Saturday morning entrance.