Can I just leave MDR if I don't like the food?

Kitty Ellas Mom

On 10/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, sparks1093 said:

I wouldn't eat dead bugs either, unless I was in a pure survival situation, but I also like to try different things- especially if they are included in the fare. I'm less adventurous if I am paying for the meal, though.

If you’ve ever had lobster, you’ve come close. Cockroaches and lobsters are kin- both Arthropoda.  Main difference is that lobsters are bigger.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you’ve ever had lobster, you’ve come close. Cockroaches and lobsters are kin- both Arthropoda.  Main difference is that lobsters are bigger.

😀      Thanks Mr. Killjoy.    😀    You are correct, but in a separate sub-Phylum, Class, and Order. 

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Great. A new marketing slogan.  Tuna is chicken of the sea. Now lobster is cockroach of the sea? Just doesn't have that same warm cozy feeling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

😀      Thanks Mr. Killjoy.    😀    You are correct, but in a separate sub-Phylum, Class, and Order. 

A bug is still a bug, even if it might occupy a separate sub-phylum.  Many people in Maine (from where most US lobsters hail) refer to lobsters as bugs from the sea. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I've squished many a cockroach in my day and I would say lobsters are much meatier, too. 🤣 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Prometheus1 said:

Would choose those over beef liver any day though 🙂

I'd chose calf's liver or chicken liver.  I fed mealworms to some of my critters in my classroom zoo and they are disgusting animals.  Believe it or not, they I fed a lizard too many mealworms one day and a few days later, they had attacked the lizard and eaten one of its eyes.  They were in the eye socket!  

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Many people in Maine (from where most US lobsters hail) refer to lobsters as bugs from the sea. 

I have heard them referred to that.  Didn't squash my appetite for them, though.  

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I'd chose calf's liver or chicken liver.  I fed mealworms to some of my critters in my classroom zoo and they are disgusting animals.  Believe it or not, they I fed a lizard too many mealworms one day and a few days later, they had attacked the lizard and eaten one of its eyes.  They were in the eye socket!  

I have heard them referred to that.  Didn't squash my appetite for them, though.  

We had a rescue lizard once that was missing an eye because something it was eating disagreed with it. Somedays you eat the bear...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Grew up having to routinely eat calf liver with onions.   I have a lifetime supply of vitamin A.   BBQ chicken livers are great.  Gizzards - no thanks.  

I don't want to eat insects.  I really don't want to eat kangaroo, any part of a frog, developed embryos in eggs, anything having to do with snakes or eels,  brains, kidneys, tongues,  snouts, ears, sheep heads (as in Baa, the fish is OK), chicken feet, or eyeballs.  Won't eat okra.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Grew up having to routinely eat calf liver with onions.   I have a lifetime supply of vitamin A.   BBQ chicken livers are great.  Gizzards - no thanks.  

I don't want to eat insects.  I really don't want to eat kangaroo, any part of a frog, developed embryos in eggs, anything having to do with snakes or eels,  brains, kidneys, tongues,  snouts, ears, sheep heads (as in Baa, the fish is OK), chicken feet, or eyeballs.  Won't eat okra.  

Chicken livers are delicious.  I also like Gizzards.  When I was in Australia, I did have a filet of Kangaroo.  Frog legs are a delicacy.  (As a Senior Zoology Major, my Senior Seminar class and professor went Frog gigging one Spring evening.  We returned to the professor's home where his wife cooked the frog legs in butter.  Delicious and couldn't have been any fresher!  Sauted brains and sweetbreads:  even more of a delicacy and are good.  

I am not fond of Okra, either.  I don't care for Grits or Parsnips.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Chicken livers are delicious.  I also like Gizzards.  When I was in Australia, I did have a filet of Kangaroo.  Frog legs are a delicacy.  (As a Senior Zoology Major, my Senior Seminar class and professor went Frog gigging one Spring evening.  We returned to the professor's home where his wife cooked the frog legs in butter.  Delicious and couldn't have been any fresher!  Sauted brains and sweetbreads:  even more of a delicacy and are good.  

I am not fond of Okra, either.  I don't care for Grits or Parsnips.  

I forgot grits.  Throw in cream of wheat too.  I'll take good ol oatmeal instead any day.  Haha.  

Some friends from Down Under (Sydney) are currently visiting.  We were talking about kangaroo being available at the market.  They admitted they had not tried it.   

Some of the foods are on my "don't like" because I've tried them and don't like them.  For others, I don't  even want to try them.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The couple in the 2-top next to us had a fuss at dinner, and they up-and-left.  The poor staff was rather confused and didn't know whether to clear their table or not.  This couple was on our hallway, and we saw them around the ship pretty often -- they were a bit, um, volatile.  

Anyway, you've received lots of good information here.  Personally, I find the MDR food good.  Sure, you can find reviews comparing it to cafeteria food, etc.  Some people just don't want to be made happy, and some people think they come off looking knowledgeable /worldly if they put everything down.  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:28 PM, ldubs said:

Grew up having to routinely eat calf liver with onions.  …

…Won't eat okra.  

My childhood was also plagued with calves liver - which is acceptable only when outweighed by the accompanying onions and/or bacon.

Okra is only acceptable as a traditional (minor) ingredient in gumbo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Okra is only acceptable as a traditional (minor) ingredient in gumbo.

Even then it is "iffy", Haha.   I think most of my dislike is related to being forced to eat it as a kid.  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Only if I have to in order to not cause offense.  Same for rhubarb.   Lol.  

Actually, cooked rhubarb (with plenty of sugar), when paired with frozen strawberries,  is worth a try.

Plus, it is reputed to help control blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, cooked rhubarb (with plenty of sugar), when paired with frozen strawberries,  is worth a try.

Plus, it is reputed to help control blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Yep, strawberry rhubarb pie is OK. IMO,  it would be even better if it was just strawberry pie.   Thankfully, modern medicine means I don't need rhubarb.  😀 

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Where do you stand when the discussion turns to turnips?

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

rhubarb

As a child, I did not care for turnips, but, I was encouraged to try a small bite of a small piece when we had potatoes and turnips and pork.  Gradually, I learned to like them.  Not my favorite vegetable, but, I have learned to eat them.  Rhubarb?  Both my Grandmother and Mother made delicious Rhubarb Sauce and a Jelly made with Strawberries and Rhubarb.  Haven't had that for a very long time.  

• Like 1