Pre pay for specialty dining or buy onboard?

netingirl

14 minutes ago, netingirl said:

Is it cheaper to pay for specialty restaurants before you sail or is it the same price once you're onboard?

Same price.  But buying and reserving a time ahead of time is a good idea, especially for peak times and for cruises where HAL is giving away free specialty dinners as part of a promotion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

If you are a  3 star Mariner  & Above you  get discounts  on speciality dinner s  .Thus ,we would think it best to make a reservation  before the cruise but pay after the dinner  for the discount 

If you reserve before you must pay before and get the credit back onboard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

If you reserve before you must pay before and get the credit back onboard.

We reserved 2 pre cruise special restaurants & did not have to pay in advance. We will get the Mariner discount when we dine in each restaurant 😁

We used to pre-book, pay and then have to get the discount or the cost for the two free 5* dinners removed from our account.  That turned into a hassle even before Covid.    Even booking on board, we would sometimes have to get the charges removed.  

Last fall, we decided to pre-book our specialty dining on b2b2b2b cruises get the day and time we wanted.  I spent way too much time at Guest Services on during the first week trying to get the charges removed or discounted.  It was so bad, and required multiple trips for each charge, that we canceled the bookings for the remaining weeks.  We then booked during each cruise, and while that was better, we still had problems from time to time.

When it came time to book for our spring b2b2b2b cruises, we waited until each segment started to book, and had fewer problems.  The problems we had, we informed GS through the Navigator app, and they were taken care of quickly.

I booked the Canaletto in advance assuming that the menu listed online would be valid during my time on the cruise. Unfortunately, the menu listed for the Canaletto was not accurate. I am referring to the daily special. The daily specials listed online in no way corresponded to to what was offered on the ship. I will wait until I sail in December and rush right up to the restaurant.

4 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Unfortunately, the menu listed for the Canaletto was not accurate. I am referring to the daily special. The daily specials listed online in no way corresponded to to what was offered on the ship.

Thanks, CS, I was just considering booking Canaletto for a Tuesday (shortribs with polenta). Now I know to just wait.

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I booked the Canaletto in advance assuming that the menu listed online would be valid during my time on the cruise. Unfortunately, the menu listed for the Canaletto was not accurate. I am referring to the daily special. The daily specials listed online in no way corresponded to to what was offered on the ship. I will wait until I sail in December and rush right up to the restaurant.

Which ship? I found on the koningsdam it was bang on.

• Like 1