RCI Policy for hurricane victims

flviking

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC shouldn't have any policy to help out people with no travel insurance for circumstances out of RC's control.

Totally agree.  I don't want the cost of my future cruises to go up because I have to subsidize a person's willing non-participation in an insurance policy.  The fare prices are going up enough without this added pressure.  I take responsibility of my actions by purchasing an insurance policy or at least purchasing a fully refundable fare, sometimes both. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Totally agree.  I don't want the cost of my future cruises to go up because I have to subsidize a person's willing non-participation in an insurance policy.  The fare prices are going up enough without this added pressure.  I take responsibility of my actions by purchasing an insurance policy or at least purchasing a fully refundable fare, sometimes both. 

The cost of your future cruises will likely go up anyway because somebody has to pay for all those private jets that flew people home when cruising resumed and since then, all those nights in quarantine hotels, all those meals.

Insurance would have paid quarantine expenses and return transportation upon recovery, but RCI wanted to make it easy for people to sail again.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

The cost of your future cruises will likely go up anyway because somebody has to pay for all those private jets that flew people home when cruising resumed and since then, all those nights in quarantine hotels, all those meals.

Insurance would have paid quarantine expenses and return transportation upon recovery, but RCI wanted to make it easy for people to sail again.

We have always had hurricanes and policies have been written for decades.  COVID, sprung up, mostly unexpectedly, tons of government involvement and a public relations nightmare could ensue if a wrong step is/was taken.  Apples/Oranges

AND, I did say,  "The fare prices are going up enough without this added pressure".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

We have always had hurricanes and policies have been written for decades.  COVID, sprung up, mostly unexpectedly, tons of government involvement and a public relations nightmare could ensue if a wrong step is/was taken.  Apples/Oranges

AND, I did say,  "The fare prices are going up enough without this added pressure".

Once insurance policies were amended to cover COVID as any other illness because of the availability of vaccines and treatments, it really isn’t Apples/Oranges.

But it is moot at this point. Assistance is ending for new bookings.

My thought process FWIW, is that during the good times, the CEO other other top executives were paid an INSANE amount of money. Fast forward to a pandemic and a catastrophe -- feeling that maybe they should be allocating just .0001% of the rewards and bonuses handed out to the privileged few in previous years to help mitigate the crisis (crises) they are facing today?

Before anyone jumps all over me (**flame suit on**), I should mention I'm a shareholder, again, FWIW. 

• Like 2

Believe me, none of us are saying this to be mean, but your sister will probably *need* the vacation after something like this. (And if it were me I'd add a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long spa visit....)

Shortly before I met him, my husband had been laid off just before a major vacation. (The one that resulted in us meeting for the first time.) And when he spoke with a financial advisor, they told him to just go ahead and take it, for the same reason. Everything had already been paid up and reserved. What was canceling it going to help? Provided you can keep the rest of your life together, there's no harm in continuing with existing plans. (Granted, this was over 20 years ago...)

Does she have a friend or relative's house who she could leave her valuables/electronics/paperwork at? I'm sure there are ways that the rest of the house could be secured while she is out. The insurance company may even have suggestions. (Some are good about this, and some may even consider it a bonus that they don't have to pay for a hotel stay while her house isn't safe to occupy.) Pets can be taken to a kennel if need be. 

I'm just saying it may be best to find ways to ease her mind while she's gone, rather than try to wiggle out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

This has been an issue for a long time.  People  cancel for a variety of reasons and expect RCI to cover them when they chose to not get insurance.  We always get it so why should we pay for those who choose not to?  Personal responsibility is a really difficult concept for some people.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC shouldn't have any policy to help out people with no travel insurance for circumstances out of RC's control.

While I generally agree, I think it would be a good public relations move to allow customers, perhaps just for the next month or so, to cancel their bookings and get a full FCC to be used within a year.

• Like 1