Location-Isolation cabins on Nieuw Amsterdam

12cruise2

I was isolated in 4025 on NA - and the whole section between the water-tight (fire) doors had tables outside the doors.  I don't know if the other side of the ship was also closed off.  I was told there were also rooms on deck 6 that were for isolation.  However, I was also told that in the future things would change as they were trying to fill the ship with paying customers!

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I was isolated in 4025 on NA - and the whole section between the water-tight (fire) doors had tables outside the doors.  I don't know if the other side of the ship was also closed off.  I was told there were also rooms on deck 6 that were for isolation.  However, I was also told that in the future things would change as they were trying to fill the ship with paying customers!

Good to know.  Thank you for the info.  I'm sort of afraid of that intermingling coming about.  Yes, on one ship as you may have read, someone reported getting on to find their cabin between two cabins that were isolation cabins, and they wouldn't change them to another cabin. The wild west out there.

Edited by 12cruise2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

However, I was also told that in the future things would change as they were trying to fill the ship with paying customers!

Good to know since we booked one of those “quarantine” rooms in the 4th deck  firewall corridor for our January cruise on the Koningsdam.  

3 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Good to know since we booked one of those “quarantine” rooms in the 4th deck  firewall corridor for our January cruise on the Koningsdam.  

But this is the Nieuw Amsterdam we're talking about. . . .

2 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

But this is the Nieuw Amsterdam we're talking about. . . .

HAL decision making re: Covid isolation will most likely be the policy across the fleet.  I was just on the Nieuw Amsterdam and couldn’t tell you which areas were closed off but I know for sure where the closed corridor was on the K.  We were right next door.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

My guess is going forward you will quarantine in your current cabin.

This is exactly what I just figured out, which also would explain why a new passenger got on board only to find cabins on both side of theirs isolation cabins.  However, then it would seem that both/all parties in a cabin would have to stay in that cabin, even if only one was positive; that would basically insure that all parties became infected. On Celebrity the end of May, because one of us was positive and one negative, they considered us close contacts so made us isolate together overnight until we were offloaded the next day!  Of course in a day or two, the other of us became positive.

Edited by 12cruise2

That happened to us, too.  I tested positive on the Wednesday, DH, negative.  I was moved to an isolation cabin and he was allowed to roam the ship.  On the Saturday, he had a sore throat and called the Medical Centre and tested positive.  So only then, he joined me in isolation.  I know there were many who never contacted the Medical Centre and just treated themselves in their own cabins, and maybe did not isolate at all.  

In the "old days" with Noro,  if one person got it, others in the cabin were allowed to go about normally on some ships (I think at the discretion of the Captain!) , until they got it.  I think the isolation went on for 48 hours after the last "episode".  It was basically a free-for-all, with a lot just not telling they were sick.

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

I’m on Nieuw Amsterdam now. Last week there wasn’t a closed corridor on deck six. I didn’t go on other decks. If I remember, I’ll look at deck 4and 5 and report back.     ~Nancy 

Thank you so much; that would be great.  If I can convince my doc, we want to cruise four weeks Nov-Dec.  Cross fingers.  We did that last year and had a blast--course, only 800 or so passengers on the ship and everyone was vaxed, masked, so little to no problems (well, except for one woman who had gotten on and was not vaxed--and bragged and bragged about that and caused quite a few problems overall for the crew because they weren't publicizing they were letting ANY passengers on who were not vaxed; caused us to have to move our every-night dining table as we were furious for the deception on HAL's part.)

Edited by 12cruise2

14 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you so much; that would be great.  If I can convince my doc, we want to cruise four weeks Nov-Dec.  Cross fingers.  We did that last year and had a blast--course, only 800 or so passengers on the ship and everyone was vaxed, masked, so little to no problems (well, except for one woman who had gotten on and was not vaxed--and bragged and bragged about that and caused quite a few problems overall for the crew because they weren't publicizing they were letting ANY passengers on who were not vaxed; caused us to have to move our every-night dining table as we were furious for the deception on HAL's part.)

Did you find out how she managed to get on without being vaxed?  I guess maybe 95% had to be vaxed.  If her bragging caused problems for the crew the Captain should have told her to quit bragging.   I think I would have used the Navigator App to “let them know” about her presence and attitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Did you find out how she managed to get on without being vaxed?  I guess maybe 95% had to be vaxed.  If her bragging caused problems for the crew the Captain should have told her to quit bragging.   I think I would have used the Navigator App to “let them know” about her presence and attitude.

Oh, don't worry!  The crew knew ALL about her; by the time she was on, we'd been on the ship for 6 weeks and knew the main officers and were friendly with them; they were the ones who hinted a week or so later that she was causing all sorts of problems!  We found out at dinner the night she boarded; she'd gotten seated next to us at the next table, by herself; she proceeded to tell us that she really wanted our table, but that we had it for several weeks, then she went on about how she wasn't vaxed and we were furious; we reported her immediately to our friend-by-now who was the maitre d'.  We got a better table on the other side of the aft as it turned out, and of course, she got our table!  We didn't want to stay seated anywhere near her, and HAL wouldn't move HER! HAL had the policy to let a few unvaxed folks on who petitioned even though they never really clearly admitted to that policy in writing; one had to read between the lines in the policy.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

Just got off the NA on Sunday. My husband was isolated in 41xx. We're were vaxed and boosted. I had covid over Labor day so they kind of left me alone in our booked room. I could call my husband and that's about it. One of the med staff was not very caring and was very short and lost patience easily. No one ever checked on my husband the 4 days he was in isolation. I would get different answers to the same question. There were a lot who were sick. I spoke with at least 3 on Sat who had just been released. One of their spouses was still sick in isolation. On disembarkation I probably saw about 30 come off the ship as they were brought off last through a different exit.

Welcome aboard Cruise Critic; thank you for responding to my question.  I'm sorry to hear about your husband's being ill; I hope he recovers soon. 

He was isolated in the area where we usually like to get a cabin. Last fall though, without explanation or letting us know, when we came on board and went to our cabin 40xx port, there were no card keys for us there.  We went to the front desk and found they had assigned us to a different cabin, on the main deck; I think that was why, that for that cruise they were reserving our area for isolation.  I don't like the main deck because most of the cabins are under noisy or mystery areas of the deck above so they can be noisy at various times through the night.

How long were you on the cruise?  Were you on port or starboard side?

Edited by 12cruise2