Cancellations or no shows on embarkation day?

letsgogogo

On a very full sailing tomorrow. I bid max on MoveUp for all possible categories and did not win on any of them. Any idea if they hold back cabins in each class in order to handle guest issues ,etc? Or cabins that free up due to last minute cancellations on embarkation day?  How best to approach this. Happy to spend, just need availability. Ideally want aqua which has been sold out long before I booked. But would be thrilled for almost anything that gets me out of our inside cabin. 

7 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

On a very full sailing tomorrow. I bid max on MoveUp for all possible categories and did not win on any of them. Any idea if they hold back cabins in each class in order to handle guest issues ,etc? Or cabins that free up due to last minute cancellations on embarkation day?  How best to approach this. Happy to spend, just need availability. Ideally want aqua which has been sold out long before I booked. But would be thrilled for almost anything that gets me out of our inside cabin. 

There are absolutely cabins held back.  There are always maintenance issues but the number is small.  Also there are cabins for entertainers and others.  Today also a few retained to deal with covid when one passenger tests positive and the other negative.  If they separate that requires a second cabin.  Those cabins will not be released.  Period

No idea where you are sailing, but still lots of artificial demand by those using FCCs.  Combine with Aqua becoming very popular along with Suites and a move up bid for those is getting more and more difficult.

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

There are absolutely cabins held back.  There are always maintenance issues but the number is small.  Also there are cabins for entertainers and others.  Today also a few retained to deal with covid when one passenger tests positive and the other negative.  If they separate that requires a second cabin.  Those cabins will not be released.  Period

No idea where you are sailing, but still lots of artificial demand by those using FCCs.  Combine with Aqua becoming very popular along with Suites and a move up bid for those is getting more and more difficult.

My TA suggested I start with the captains club desk. Hoping they don’t just send me to the big line. 

• Like 1

We cancelled 3 days before a Beyond cruise 2 weeks ago. Our companions had Covid and cancelled for a refund and us for FCC as DW upset to go alone.  We had attractive Sunset Verandahs. I imagine someone got them on boarding by attending guest relations. 

We were booked in Aqua this summer on the Solstice and tried to Move Up to a suite with no luck.  I went to the main desk and while it was a long line, it was worth it.  We received a call right after the ship set sail with an offer to move to a Sky Suite! 

They told me Suite were sold out but I asked them to check if there are no shows and there were, so I would wait in line....it might be worth it!

We cruised on Apex in Feb and were originally booked in a porthole veranda. Boarded as early as we could and asked if there were any last minute cancellations in sunset verandas. We were told they couldn't tell at that time, but to check back after sail away, but to store our belongings in our original cabin. We went to guest relations at sailaway and after a few minutes were told that our transfer to an open sunset veranda was approved at no cost to us. We were even given the choice between 2 cabins. The attendant said these openings were due to last minute covid related cancellations. 

I've received a gratis upgrade because someone tested positive the night before the cruise and the ship's manifest had been closed.

I also checked on upgrade to a vacant Royal but the Revenue Manager was being greedy and wanted more than I could have purchased it pre-cruise at full fare.     We declined and the ship sailed with the cabin empty. 

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've received a gratis upgrade because someone tested positive the night before the cruise and the ship's manifest had been closed.

I also checked on upgrade to a vacant Royal but the Revenue Manager was being greedy and wanted more than I could have purchased it pre-cruise at full fare.     We declined and the ship sailed with the cabin empty. 

What a pity…Wouldn’t it have been nice if they had either accepted your offer or if they had been directed not to sell for less than $xxx given it to a honeymoon couple or a fiftieth anniversary couple…

Just a waste to leave it empty. I know if we had to cancel our room last minute I would be hoping that at least someone else enjoyed it…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

With the removal of testing requirements I expect no-shows to drop dramatically.

Agree.  The 8-10 cabins held for maintenance would not be released.  There always will be people that miss a cruise due to airline issues and weather along with all sorts of personal situations.