Mariner moseying down to Mexico

flossie009

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Please update me/us w some (good?) news on the toilet situation.

For us there have been no issues during this cruise, apart from one period of non-flush in our bathroom which lasted less than 15 minutes (presumably while maintenance was ongoing). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Please update me/us w some (good?) news on the toilet situation. Today I did my online check in for my 3 November cruise on mariner to lima!

No issues since they put the notice on every ones doors! Hopefully it stays that way, but it is an older ship. 

50 minutes ago, rudedoggy87 said:

No issues since they put the notice on every ones doors! Hopefully it stays that way, but it is an older ship. 

Most ships, young or old, use similar vacuum toilet systems which are prone to blockage especially if guests dispose of wet-wipes or the like

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

What is ATW? ………… and what is hard to believe? 🤔

Around the world …. Cruises I think she means.

I wonder also about “hard to believe”. 
 Am I missing something. The Mariner is a great ship for WCs with all that nice public spaces fore, aft and mid ship since WCs have lots of sea days.

Everyone just needs to follow the rules about what can go down the toilet and there would be no problems.

• Like 2

Hard to believe that Regent would assigned a Ship with lots of plumbing issues to their  around the world cruise. glad to hear that this is not a constant issue. I’ll be on board in three weeks, and I hope to enjoy many flushes!! 😝

Edited by PhD-iva
Typo
  • Haha 1

We are on the back Deck 7 and unfortunately we haven’t been as lucky. For the last week we have at least once a day a non -flushing problem. Plumber up here at least once daily. Crew and Housekeeping have been most responsive but quite disconcerting not to be able to use the toilet when getting ready to depart for a tour or getting ready for dinner and having to use toilets in common areas.

FYI- COVID still onboard. Friends have been quarantined for past 5 days and were told they were not only.

All 4 of us tested negative pre- board and boosted.

Lots of coughing and minimal mask wearing.

We will be boarding in LA too, we were quarantined with Covid on the Navigator in July for 7 days so will be trying to stay healthy on this trip. Just curious, did you have to provide a PCR test pre boarding or was double vaccinated and double boosted enough?

J

Thanks for that info, it will be one less thing to put on the list. Thankfully we booked the airfares months ago (Regent don’t get involved with flights for our side of the world) and  we have our ESTAs now. We are looking forward to being back on the Mariner and exploring South America again.

J

• Like 3

A cloudy day in Santa Barbara before the short cruise back to Los Angeles, our disembarkation port.

Tomorrow will be our final goodbyes and our flight back to the U.K. 

On our approach to Santa Barbara this morning scores of dolphins gave a fine display beside the ship.

069A1A2B-4FE3-4254-A458-93BE9AF72450.thumb.jpeg.e91464986e5c3fdb024253f2167d510e.jpeg

529D991D-E515-45E2-A18C-A9BA797B5914.thumb.jpeg.8b2e677e51fcaa8862ea43272d4b14ac.jpeg

Thanks for following along with this blog. Hope it provided some entertainment & information 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 9:48 PM, PhD-iva said:

Hard to believe that Regent would assigned a Ship with lots of plumbing issues to their  around the world cruise. glad to hear that this is not a constant issue. I’ll be on board in three weeks, and I hope to enjoy many flushes!! 😝

We had a major plumbing issue on the Mariner in April 2019.  To no fault of our own the toilet started to overflow water and other stuff 😬.  I called the front desk immediately but it still took 20-25 minutes to turn off the water.  The bathroom ended with 2-3 inches of water (++) and the water went completely down the hall almost to the bed.  Several other rooms on our floor (8 I think) also had issues but we got the worst of it, there were fans to dry off the floor all down the floor.  Housekeeping did a great job cleaning and disinfecting the room but it took the fan in the room all day to dry the carpet.  Not a fun way to spend a sea day.

Sadly there is always an idiot who puts things other than the obvious and toilet paper down the loo onboard.  Then often the whole deck suffers.  Not a nice job for a crew member to deal with, either.  We have heard of ladies' undies being flushed!

It does seem to be better on the newer  ships, however.  Someone might know - maybe slightly less narrow pipework?

@flossie009 I can't believe your cruise is over so quickly!  Safe travel home and here's to the next one, eh?!

Thanks for taking us along with you.  Still decompressing from disembarking Voyager last Monday, so travelling with you via my screen for a few extra days was lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Sadly there is always an idiot who puts things other than the obvious and toilet paper down the loo onboard.  Then often the whole deck suffers.  Not a nice job for a crew member to deal with, either.  We have heard of ladies' undies being flushed!

It does seem to be better on the newer  ships, however.  Someone might know - maybe slightly less narrow pipework?

Well we certainly didn't put anything abnormal in the toilet.  I think this was beyond that water was gushing out of the toilet and they had to turn the water off for the entire floor.  Our room was right next to the shut off that may have had something to do with it.  I think at one point they turned the water off for the entire ship because I went to the bathroom on a lower floor and there was no water.  

Not every plumbing problem is necessarily caused by "someone doing something wrong."  Sometimes, the system itself can have some design, aging, or "system problems".

On our Mariner Christmas/New Year's (Holiday) Panama Canal cruise 10 months ago, there were several times when the toilet system was simply "turned off" and didn't flush/work at all for periods up to an hour at a time.

I don't think that every one of those occurrences was caused by someone (or several people) collectively deciding to flush "the wrong thing" down a toilet somewhere on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 8:04 PM, PhD-iva said:

Thx! Mariner is the ship used for ATW cruises! Hard to believe…..

Hard to believe that it's used for the WC?  It's a lovely ship.  BTW, we did this Miami to Lima trip in 2017, loved every minute.  Are you spending any time in Lima?

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind wishes @Gilly & @1982CruzStart.

We are now at LAX after a comfortable transfer from the port.

Berth 46 at LA cruise centre, with its very temporary facilities, is certainly not the best place to start or end a luxury cruise. Especially with heavy rain this morning. Fortunately it had stopped by the time we disembarked.

Sorry this blog went down the pan (or worse didn’t for some 😳) towards the end.

Will try to emulate @Gilly by providing a summary of the ship & itinerary when we are back home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1