Are Caribbean Cruises Worth It With Sargassum Bloom?

SoCalSweetheart

We are longtime cruisers and REALLY want to book a Caribbean cruise for the spring, but are worried about sargassum. We love the cruising aspect of it, but we pretty much go to the beach in every port and spend 90% of our time lolling in the water. Is there anyone out there who cruised last spring who could tell us how they found it? Was the sargassum inescapable? The cruise we want to go on goes to St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, Martinique and Holland's private island. We've talked to a couple travel agents who didn't have much to say other than to go in January because there's less seaweed then, but the water's just a little too cold for us at that time. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

1 hour ago, SoCalSweetheart said:

We are longtime cruisers and REALLY want to book a Caribbean cruise for the spring, but are worried about sargassum. We love the cruising aspect of it, but we pretty much go to the beach in every port and spend 90% of our time lolling in the water. Is there anyone out there who cruised last spring who could tell us how they found it? Was the sargassum inescapable? The cruise we want to go on goes to St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, Martinique and Holland's private island. We've talked to a couple travel agents who didn't have much to say other than to go in January because there's less seaweed then, but the water's just a little too cold for us at that time. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

I’m confused. From your profile, it looks like you’re in San Diego. So, I gotta ask: Why ever would you want to go to the Caribbean when the Pacific beckons? 
Hawaii, Polynesia….

?????

47 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’m confused. From your profile, it looks like you’re in San Diego. So, I gotta ask: Why ever would you want to go to the Caribbean when the Pacific beckons? 
Hawaii, Polynesia….

?????

San Diego is absolutely beautiful. We just love the blue water of the Caribbean. Hawaii is beautiful as well, but we like the Caribbean slightly better because it can be a bit warmer and depending on location a little calmer. Will definitely be thinking about Hawaii or Polynesia if the Caribbean doesn't work out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SoCalSweetheart said:

San Diego is absolutely beautiful. We just love the blue water of the Caribbean. Hawaii is beautiful as well, but we like the Caribbean slightly better because it can be a bit warmer and depending on location a little calmer. Will definitely be thinking about Hawaii or Polynesia if the Caribbean doesn't work out.

Different strokes for different folks.

3 hours ago, SoCalSweetheart said:

We've talked to a couple travel agents who didn't have much to say other than to go in January because there's less seaweed then, but the water's just a little too cold for us at that time. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this.

I suggest you find better informed travel agents.  The seawater around St. Martin is actually warmer in January than in February or March (by about 1 degree C). The (very slight) winter time cooling takes a while.

We have regularly visited St. Maarten (Dutch side) every winter between January and March -- the difference in temps month to month is barely noticeable.

• Like 1

I agree that the seaweed issue is a problem.  However, it usually does not affect every beach on an isle the same way.  E.G., there may be tons of seaweed on Orient Beach in St Martins, but little seaweed on the Dutchside beaches.  Playa del Carmen and northern Cozumel beaches get more seaweed than southern Coz beaches like Nachi Cocum.

Do additional research to find out what beaches are generally affected and which are not.  And remember that tides and winds do change.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

I agree that the seaweed issue is a problem.  However, it usually does not affect every beach on an isle the same way.  E.G., there may be tons of seaweed on Orient Beach in St Martins, but little seaweed on the Dutchside beaches.  Playa del Carmen and northern Cozumel beaches get more seaweed than southern Coz beaches like Nachi Cocum.

Do additional research to find out what beaches are generally affected and which are not.  And remember that tides and winds do change.

Thanks so much, evandbob. I appreciate your comments. I've read that if there's sargassum on one beach, there may not be on another beach on the same island, so just figure it out and be ready to pivot. 

Back in Florida, Miami beaches seem to amass more seaweed then Ft Lauderdale beaches.

On our Southwest Gulf Coast, it's even worse post Hurricane Ian.....it is widely discouraged to enter the affected gulf waters for wading or swimming due to high bacteria amounts.  Local news reported that one man died from an infection he got at Ft Myers beach through an open cut on his leg -yikes!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Back in Florida, Miami beaches seem to amass more seaweed then Ft Lauderdale beaches.

On our Southwest Gulf Coast, it's even worse post Hurricane Ian.....it is widely discouraged to enter the affected gulf waters for wading or swimming due to high bacteria amounts.  Local news reported that one man died from an infection he got at Ft Myers beach through an open cut on his leg -yikes!!!

California is calling to you……