Miss Mary

CruiserBeeBs52

Cruise Critic has an article asking cruisers about gratuities. Whether to tip personally or use the gratuity package. 
My question is “In the gratuity package “who” is receiving tips?

Room steward and assistant?

Waiter and assistant?

Wine steward?

Bar servers /waitresses?

We do tip individually the bar servers/waitresses thruout the day.

AFAIK all of the cruise lines either automatically charge daily for basic gratuities, or include them in the fare structure. These cover the cabin stewards and MDR staff. Gratuities are automatically added to drink orders for bartenders and servers. Whether you tip on top of that is up to you.

• Like 1

We've instituted our own policy on cruise tipping after the 'mandatory' added gratuities appeared (and caught on like wildfire).  We just consider those gratuities as part of the cruise cost and continue to tip directly as always.  My husband calls me a communist, but the people who take such good care of us have so little and we have so much.  If I'm spending $7K on a cruise, I can surely afford to spend another $500 on tips for the crew members who add so much to our enjoyment.  Their smiles are so warm and they are so eager to please that it makes me happy to make THEM happy.  Now I will duck down low to avoid all the rocks aiming at my head.  

Edited by jsn55
thought

58 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

We've instituted our own policy on cruise tipping after the 'mandatory' added gratuities appeared (and caught on like wildfire).  We just consider those gratuities as part of the cruise cost and continue to tip directly as always.  My husband calls me a communist, but the people who take such good care of us have so little and we have so much.  If I'm spending $7K on a cruise, I can surely afford to spend another $500 on tips for the crew members who add so much to our enjoyment.  Their smiles are so warm and they are so eager to please that it makes me happy to make THEM happy.  Now I will duck down low to avoid all the rocks aiming at my head.  

I don't think you are going to get 'rocks aiming at my head'.  That generally only happens when people say they remove the automatic gratuities.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, CruiserBeeBs52 said:

Cruise Critic has an article asking cruisers about gratuities. Whether to tip personally or use the gratuity package. 

Waiter and assistant?

Wine steward?

Bar servers /waitresses?

Typically, auto-grats will be distributed to the hotel staff (room steward, assistant, and many others whom you don't see), dining staff (those in the MDR and on the Lido who clean up after you).  The bar staff receives their grats from the amount added to all drink purchases or the drink package purchase.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, CruiserBeeBs52 said:

Waiter and assistant?

Wine steward?

Bar servers /waitresses?

It will depend a little by cruise line. But, wine stewards, bar tenders and bar waiters are usually on a separate employment contract, are much more dependent on the tips on purchases of drinks for their wages, and don't participate in the automatic gratuities.

Again, who is Miss Mary?

On 10/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, CruiserBeeBs52 said:

Bar servers /waitresses?

I'm sure you know that there is a gratuity included in the price of any drink...usually in the 18% range.