Mobile phone reception on Australia east coast P&O cruise

RFGuru

Hi friends,

I am looking to book Australia domestic cruise (Brisbane to Cairns). Does anyone know how far cruise ship travel away from the coast? Is there any Telstra or Optus mobile reception on the cruiseship when it travels along the QLD coast? Thank you.

You will have an intermittent signal from the land at times. As mentioned, if you are going to have your phone turned on, make sure you don't have global roaming - unless you are prepared to pay zone 5 roaming costs for reception via the ships' cellular at sea network.

Once you leave Cairns/Port Douglas, you head well out to sea for Willis Island, and you won't have a land signal until you approach the Sunshine Coast late on the last night.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Even if you can see land there are several dead spots along the east coast.

Areas around Fraser Island, Shoalwater Bay and anywhere north of Cooktown, have no reception.

Is that because they don't have towers in those regions?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, RFGuru said:

Hi friends,

I am looking to book Australia domestic cruise (Brisbane to Cairns). Does anyone know how far cruise ship travel away from the coast? Is there any Telstra or Optus mobile reception on the cruiseship when it travels along the QLD coast? Thank you.

The shipping channel the reef pilot use go's  around the Great Barrier Reef no cell services. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hogbay said:

The shipping channel the reef pilot use go's  around the Great Barrier Reef no cell services. 

It depends where you are going. Part of the shipping channel is inside the GBR, mostly the northern bit I think - we just cruised through it yesterday. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It depends where you are going. Part of the shipping channel is inside the GBR, mostly the northern bit I think - we just cruised through it yesterday. 

We cruised inside the GBR on Ocean Princess with beautiful coastal views.  I was surprised to see a bigger ship closer to the shore.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Op is going Brisbane to Cairns. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

All the maps show that the shipping route up the Queensland coast is inside the GBR. 🙂

That is why all ships must have a pilot through the GBR.  We were lucky our pilot gave us commentary all the way to Darwin.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is why all ships must have a pilot through the GBR.  We were lucky our pilot gave us commentary all the way to Darwin.  

We had a short commentary around 5pm last night.

On one cruise a few years ago we actually went through the Torres Strait in daylight and had excellent commentaries by the reef pilot at various stages. It was brilliant. We got very, very close to shore in a couple of places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Going up to Cairns the ship will probably be inside the reef but if the ship then goes to Willis Island before returning to Brisbane it will come down outside the reef so long way out to sea.

On our current cruise we went to Willis Island before Cairns so well out of sight of land for most of those two days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Going up to Cairns the ship will probably be inside the reef but if the ship then goes to Willis Island before returning to Brisbane it will come down outside the reef so long way out to sea.

On our current cruise we went to Willis Island before Cairns so well out of sight of land for most of those two days.

There is no phone reception , The way cruises ships go . You can go by water from Brisbane to Cairns and have phone reception .

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, Hogbay said:

When I return from New Caledonia on P&O, Telstra network appeared the net arrival back Sydney.