First time trying specialty dining…

Texascruiser2008

On 10/16/2022 at 7:33 AM, rbtan said:

We've found the specialty DR's on Princess to offer decent but not outstanding food. The fee does include tips.You can add more. do so in cash so it goes direct to the person taking care of you. The food in these rest. is far less in quality than say on Celebrity. Still you get more attention to detail & better food. What we now do more often is to choose items on the MDR menu that come from the specialties. The Lobster tail is much better than the standard one you get on formal nights. Same with the beef meals. It's your choice as to do this or attend the rest. themselves. As we do club Class we already get the fine service, but the food is still standard MDR fare, which for the price you pay is quite a let down. Princess needs to upgrade the menus for Club Class or offer a special dining venu for those in that accommodation.

There's a Princess ship ready made for you, the Sun Princess. Of course, you will have to book one of the very expensive cabin categories so that you don't have to eat with us peons .. BTW, I disagree with your food assessment. I had the very best meal at Cross Grill. Absolutely superb. 

On 10/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, sloopsailor said:

Yes. I would rather pay 50% more for a great steak than end up with a mediocre steak for a few dollars less. Quality has it's worth.  

Maybe your next 50 cruises should be on Celebrity since they're so superior?

On 10/16/2022 at 3:24 PM, caribill said:

Some ships have offered in the main dining room the opportunity to purchase a Crown Grill steak and/or lobster. So for extra cost, you can have the Crown Grill quality in the MDR.

On 10/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hah! Have never seen that. I learn something almost every day here on CC!

On 10/16/2022 at 7:03 PM, rbtan said:

That's what we did on our 2020 Hawaii trip. The Lobster tail is far superior to what's offered in the MDR for final formal night.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:11 PM, rbtan said:

We did find the items(steak,Lobster)that we chose in the MDR menu that came from Crown Grill to better than the ones we actually ate in the Crown. Still don't know the case for this.

I know they were trialing this on some ships (I think Ruby & Grand?) before the pause...but have not seen it since the restart. Has anyone else or did it fade away? 

My personal experience is that both service & quality of beef (& the whole meal) have varied more from ship to ship than from MDR to specialty venue.

27 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

Maybe your next 50 cruises should be on Celebrity since they're so superior?

No need to be snarky! 🙄

Both cruise lines have their plusses. Celebrity isn't perfect, just like Princess isn't. I have been gravitating towards Princess for several reasons, mostly for their itineraries.

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, toofewcruises said:

There's a Princess ship ready made for you, the Sun Princess. Of course, you will have to book one of the very expensive cabin categories so that you don't have to eat with us peons .. BTW, I disagree with your food assessment. I had the very best meal at Cross Grill. Absolutely superb. 

What is Cross Grill? Never heard of it. It certainly isn't on Princess ships. Looks like you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Besides, you come across as a very rude person with your veiled insults in your replies to both the posts you commented on. Not the kind of person I would want to share a table with. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

What is Cross Grill? Never heard of it. It certainly isn't on Princess ships. Looks like you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Besides, you come across as a very rude person with your veiled insults in your replies to both the posts you commented on. Not the kind of person I would want to share a table with. It's easy to be nasty on the Internet, in real life this person is probably quite pleasant 

On 10/18/2022 at 11:50 PM, toofewcruises said:

A bit crass aren't you? We're in the food industry. The food is decent, but perhaps YOU need to try a different cruiseline yourself. Never heard of the ship you're talking about. I think you moniker says it all. Never said anything about dining with the Peons, but we'd prefer not to dine with you.

Edited by rbtan
additions

On 10/19/2022 at 12:06 AM, travelin.sisters said:

I know they were trialing this on some ships (I think Ruby & Grand?) before the pause...but have not seen it since the restart. Has anyone else or did it fade away? 

My personal experience is that both service & quality of beef (& the whole meal) have varied more from ship to ship than from MDR to specialty venue.

Each ship has it's own chef. Yes, quality can differ a lot from ship tp ship.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:41 AM, SantaFeFan said:

Besides, you come across as a very rude person with your veiled insults in your replies to both the posts you commented on. Not the kind of person I would want to share a table with. 

The poster only shows up as January, so pretty new. I show up from 2021, but my spouse had been on CC from 2004 until 2020. He left after dealing with some really nasty pax & some mods who were very biased(in his opinion) I'll willingly defend myself but do try to avoid arguing. After getting in a few confrontational battles(with some of my spouses adversaries, among others) I just avoid the battles or as some advised "flag" these pax to the Mods for removal. The poster you mentioned was a bit rude, but I've certainly seen worse. I am curious about this "Sun Princess" mentioned. Never heard of it. Perhaps it's an old ship long since retired. Our favorite line is Oceania(for the food!!) Princess lacks in that area, but their staff are outstanding. That along with some great itineraries make us switch back & forth.

6 minutes ago, rbtan said:

The poster only shows up as January, so pretty new. I show up from 2021, but my spouse had been on CC from 2004 until 2020. He left after dealing with some really nasty pax & some mods who were very biased(in his opinion) I'll willingly defend myself but do try to avoid arguing. After getting in a few confrontational battles(with some of my spouses adversaries, among others) I just avoid the battles or as some advised "flag" these pax to the Mods for removal. The poster you mentioned was a bit rude, but I've certainly seen worse. I am curious about this "Sun Princess" mentioned. Never heard of it. Perhaps it's an old ship long since retired. Our favorite line is Oceania(for the food!!) Princess lacks in that area, but their staff are outstanding. That along with some great itineraries make us switch back & forth.

Sun Princess is the new Sphere class ship that Princess just announced and will be launched in 2024. It will be LNG powered and a distinct departure from Princess' earlier ship designs. At least one more of that class has been ordered, that one to launch in 2025.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/su-sun-princess/

Edited by sloopsailor

10 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Sun Princess is the new Sphere class ship that Princess just announced and will be launched in 2024. It will be LNG powered and a distinct departure from Princess' earlier ship designs. At least one more of that class has been ordered, that one to launch in 2025.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/su-sun-princess/

This seems to be the new way of Princess. Suite pax never really got that much of a better experience than everyone else. Looks like a "catch up" to Celebrity & HAL for those who pay more.We'll have to see how this pans out. A lot of Princess pax liked the somewhat smaller ships. This new class puts Princess in the higher leagues

On 10/18/2022 at 8:50 PM, toofewcruises said:

BTW, I disagree with your food assessment. I had the very best meal at Cross Grill. Absolutely superb. 

Spell checker?  There is an old Latin maxim we should all remember:  De gustibus non est disputandum.  Look it up.

On 10/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hah! Have never seen that. I learn something almost every day here on CC!

You can also order Crown Grill & Sabatini's food (a la carte) in the TV app and (likely) in the Medallion app (don't know for sure, never looked).

If you order a main, salad, soup, dessert - it would cost more than $29.

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Spell checker?  There is an old Latin maxim we should all remember:  De gustibus non est disputandum.  Look it up.

I think toofewcruises must cruise on Jewish owned cruise ships. Besides the Cross Grill, which specializes in "Last Supper" menus, the other specialty restaurant available is Sabbath's, the Kosher specialty restaurant.

Edited by sloopsailor

On 10/16/2022 at 3:24 PM, caribill said:

Some ships have offered in the main dining room the opportunity to purchase a Crown Grill steak and/or lobster. So for extra cost, you can have the Crown Grill quality in the MDR.

I remember that from some time ago.   It wasn't an option on our most recent Princess cruise.   

We dined in the Crown Grill twice on the Emerald this last May. Service was "fine" but not warm and friendly. We did not tip extra. We dined in the Crown Grill on the Grand just last month. Service was warm and friendly and we tipped "extra" in cash.

Edited by nini
Spelling
  • Like 1