Puerto Vallarta Port

Ashland

We've been to this port many times over the years. However last week we were surprised at the new terminal RCI Serenade used.

It was like walking through a very high end shopping mall. Very disappointed at this what some might consider an upgrade. To us it lost the charm the city offers. 

Why can't somethings be left alone or at least not completely overdone !!!

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 5:40 PM, Ashland said:

We've been to this port many times over the years. However last week we were surprised at the new terminal RCI Serenade used.

It was like walking through a very high end shopping mall. Very disappointed at this what some might consider an upgrade. To us it lost the charm the city offers. 

Ouch!  Improvement of basic infrastructure such as the port, airport,, roads, sidewalks, etc. are generally thought of as a good thing.   The "charm" of the city is still in the city (although some of us are not happy with all the new condos).  Keep in mind that port is far out in the suburbs (the downtown/Centro area is 3 miles south).   But just consider somebody thinking that the port facility at Miami is representative of the city, or the Manhattan cruise terminal on 12th Ave (NYC) changes that city.  One might also criticize PV for installing bike lanes, ramps for wheelchairs/scooters, etc.   We are also happy to have Sams, Costco, Walmart (2 superstores) and some decent supermarkets.  

You might not realize that 10s of thousands of Canadian/Americans call the Bay of Bandaras region their home for some or all of the year.  We like having access to Sams. Costco, Walmart Superstores, Home Depot, plus many fine Mexican offerings including several new Mexican chain Supermarkets.  To us, the infrastructure is important and simply a sign of a community that continues to move ahead.  While there is certainly some grumbling about over development, I have never heard a complaint (until this post) about improving the port or other infrastructure (i.e. new sewers. decent fiber optic Internet, bike lanes, sidewalk ramps to handle wheelchairs/scooters. etc.  Your comment is strange.  I cannot imagine a cruiser complaining about improvements to Port Everglades or the Port of Miami.  Strange.

When I first started living in PV (17 years ago) we still had some dirt sidewalks near our Condo in the Romantic Zone.  Most were quite happy when they finally covered that dirt with concrete.  We have also been happy to see some of the very bad uneven sidewalks (where too many tripped, fell, and got hurt) replaced by decent concrete sidewalks/walkways.  If some cruisers are unhappy because of local improvements...well I guess they can go to places in the world that have lots of dirt, no improvements, etc.   Even the old native village of Yelapa now has electricity and running water!  I am sure there are plenty of tourists that preferred Yalapa before it had power, but I do believe that the folks that live in that remote village are happy to have power/water.

On the other hand, the Diamonds International store in PV (and many other cruise ports) is there to satisfy cruisers...not locals.  What you call a "high end" shopping center was built because there is a demand created by cruise ship passengers.  It is the cruise ship passengers who take structured tours to commercial places like Las Caletas, a "Tequila Factory,"  "Diamonds International,"  etc.  It is the cruise passengers that encourage companies like Diamonds International, Little Switzerland, Tanzanite International, etc. to build ugly places in most cruise ports.  When I am out walking early in the morning and see the lights on in the PV Diamonds International, I know there must be some early cruise ship arrivals.  No cruise ships?  The lights would be off until much later in the morning.  

The "charm you seek" is still around, but you must leave the port and most commercial environs to "smell the roses."  For years we have urged fellow cruisers to skip the structured excursions, do a little pre-cruise homework, and discover some of the local charms.  This applies not just to PV, but to ports all over the world.

Hank

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hank, 

I appreciate your post, it is very well said. You have a point of view the tourist can’t really understand. 
I noticed in your message you said “tequila factory” like it’s not real. This is actually an excursion that looked interesting, going to Hacienda Dona Engracia. Is this one of the commercialized places you’re talking about? I was hoping to see something that showed a bit of culture and how things came to be. 
thank you!

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ouch!  Improvement of basic infrastructure such as the port, airport,, roads, sidewalks, etc. are generally thought of as a good thing.   The "charm" of the city is still in the city (although some of us are not happy with all the new condos).  Keep in mind that port is far out in the suburbs (the downtown/Centro area is 3 miles south).   But just consider somebody thinking that the port facility at Miami is representative of the city, or the Manhattan cruise terminal on 12th Ave (NYC) changes that city.  One might also criticize PV for installing bike lanes, ramps for wheelchairs/scooters, etc.   We are also happy to have Sams, Costco, Walmart (2 superstores) and some decent supermarkets.  

You might not realize that 10s of thousands of Canadian/Americans call the Bay of Bandaras region their home for some or all of the year.  We like having access to Sams. Costco, Walmart Superstores, Home Depot, plus many fine Mexican offerings including several new Mexican chain Supermarkets.  To us, the infrastructure is important and simply a sign of a community that continues to move ahead.  While there is certainly some grumbling about over development, I have never heard a complaint (until this post) about improving the port or other infrastructure (i.e. new sewers. decent fiber optic Internet, bike lanes, sidewalk ramps to handle wheelchairs/scooters. etc.  Your comment is strange.  I cannot imagine a cruiser complaining about improvements to Port Everglades or the Port of Miami.  Strange.

When I first started living in PV (17 years ago) we still had some dirt sidewalks near our Condo in the Romantic Zone.  Most were quite happy when they finally covered that dirt with concrete.  We have also been happy to see some of the very bad uneven sidewalks (where too many tripped, fell, and got hurt) replaced by decent concrete sidewalks/walkways.  If some cruisers are unhappy because of local improvements...well I guess they can go to places in the world that have lots of dirt, no improvements, etc.   Even the old native village of Yelapa now has electricity and running water!  I am sure there are plenty of tourists that preferred Yalapa before it had power, but I do believe that the folks that live in that remote village are happy to have power/water.

On the other hand, the Diamonds International store in PV (and many other cruise ports) is there to satisfy cruisers...not locals.  What you call a "high end" shopping center was built because there is a demand created by cruise ship passengers.  It is the cruise ship passengers who take structured tours to commercial places like Las Caletas, a "Tequila Factory,"  "Diamonds International,"  etc.  It is the cruise passengers that encourage companies like Diamonds International, Little Switzerland, Tanzanite International, etc. to build ugly places in most cruise ports.  When I am out walking early in the morning and see the lights on in the PV Diamonds International, I know there must be some early cruise ship arrivals.  No cruise ships?  The lights would be off until much later in the morning.  

The "charm you seek" is still around, but you must leave the port and most commercial environs to "smell the roses."  For years we have urged fellow cruisers to skip the structured excursions, do a little pre-cruise homework, and discover some of the local charms.  This applies not just to PV, but to ports all over the world.

Hank

Hank

The Tequilia Factory is real :).  But, if I want to go to a Tequilia Factory, I would be heading up to near Tequilia where the blue Agave grows as far as the eye can see.  Unfortunately, that area is too far for a simple shore excursion.  In the immediate region around PV, the drink of Racilla has a more dominate history than Tequilia.  Some would say that Racilla is the true native drink to the PV area although others would warn that it tastes somewhat like moonshine (or perhaps lighter fluid).  A friend of ours has actually started his own Racilla production and also planted his own blue Agave (they can take around 10 years to be ready for harvest.  Tequilia, Racilla and Mezcal are all made from the Agave plant.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The Tequilia Factory is real :).  But, if I want to go to a Tequilia Factory, I would be heading up to near Tequilia where the blue Agave grows as far as the eye can see.  Unfortunately, that area is too far for a simple shore excursion.  In the immediate region around PV, the drink of Racilla has a more dominate history than Tequilia.  Some would say that Racilla is the true native drink to the PV area although others would warn that it tastes somewhat like moonshine (or perhaps lighter fluid).  A friend of ours has actually started his own Racilla production and also planted his own blue Agave (they can take around 10 years to be ready for harvest.  Tequilia, Racilla and Mezcal are all made from the Agave plant.

Hank

Thank you! I will be on the look out for racilla and see if I can’t find some to try 🙂 this excursion in puerto Vallarta is my top one right now, although we are seriously considering the whale watching since they have the boats you can listen to the whales on. I am having a rough time deciding! 🙂 the nice thing about cruises if you get to go to a lot of places, but if you don’t get to spend all that much time in each one, so happy to pick one thing to do to represent that town is rough!

Have you been through the "new" Puerta Vallarta port terminal?....I would think not. If you happen to have an occasion to I think you'll see just exactly what I mean.

In the old days getting off the ship walking through a small terminal or even before that when there was nothing but a gate and you were in the ...what I call...in Puerta Vallarta. Now you have to walk through a maze of high end shops just to get out.

Edited by Ashland

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Have you been through the "new" Puerta Vallarta port terminal?....I would think not. If you happen to have an occasion to I think you'll see just exactly what I mean.

In the old days getting off the ship walking through a small terminal or even before that when there was nothing but a gate and you were in the ...what I call...in Puerta Vallarta. Now you have to walk through a maze of high end shops just to get out.

I've been through the new terminal and my feeling is that you're making an issue out of something totally unimportant. 

You walk through the building and when you exit you go on your way to your destination in Puerto Vallarta. It doesn't detract from anything in Puerto Vallarta proper. It's not as if they put this shopping mall on the malecon or in the Zona Romantica.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

I watched them build that new terminal (for two years) as I did my daily walk.  I managed to get inside (and have also visited the nearby Plaza Magico).  The improvements you cite are pretty accurate and we say, that is all good.  The fact that you want a miserable port facility (actually no port facility) to make you feel like you are in some third world country is just not going to sell with me.  From my perspective I salute the authorities for making needed improvements.  The next time you cruise I suggest you find a 100 year old cruise ship with leaks, no A/C, no stabilizers, etc. so you can happily say you were on an old ship?  Does that make sense?  Oh, and if you decide to ever fly from the USA to Europe you might look for a DC7 so you can experience a real airplane.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 11:40 PM, Ashland said:

These changes were made by a private company that took over a major part of the port. Last winter during a certain time there even was an icerink (!) also events like wine tasting etc. are taking place there. It is now more or less a mutual functional building with more actvities the just a cruise terminal. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've been through the new terminal and my feeling is that you're making an issue out of something totally unimportant. 

You walk through the building and when you exit you go on your way to your destination in Puerto Vallarta. It doesn't detract from anything in Puerto Vallarta proper. It's not as if they put this shopping mall on the malecon or in the Zona Romantica.

Issue ??? I'm just giving a recent personal opinion of what a surprise it was and the overkill it seemed to be.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I watched them build that new terminal (for two years) as I did my daily walk.  I managed to get inside (and have also visited the nearby Plaza Magico).  The improvements you cite are pretty accurate and we say, that is all good.  The fact that you want a miserable port facility (actually no port facility) to make you feel like you are in some third world country is just not going to sell with me.  From my perspective I salute the authorities for making needed improvements.  The next time you cruise I suggest you find a 100 year old cruise ship with leaks, no A/C, no stabilizers, etc. so you can happily say you were on an old ship?  Does that make sense?  Oh, and if you decide to ever fly from the USA to Europe you might look for a DC7 so you can experience a real airplane.

Hank

Wow...Seems like I hit a nerve. My point which you don't seem to understand is that not all improvement is always totally necessary. It just seemed like a lot of it was overkill.

20 minutes ago, Ine said:

These changes were made by a private company that took over a major part of the port. Last winter during a certain time there even was an icerink (!) also events like wine tasting etc. are taking place there. It is now more or less a mutual functional building with more actvities the just a cruise terminal. 

Interesting to know that it serves the community as something more than just a cruise ship terminal.

Hope everyone in PV is safe during this oncoming hurricane.

BTW...again thanks for all the great tips you offered when we recently cruised out of Amsterdam.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Wow...Seems like I hit a nerve. My point which you don't seem to understand is that not all improvement is always totally necessary. It just seemed like a lot of it was overkill.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank...Your unnecessary tirade above aimed specifically at me was just so out of character considering the many posts of mine you've responded to over the past with such great info and help with many other cruising subjects. So sorry this particular post seems to have taken a bad turn. No hard feelings I hope.

Can I use my U.S. credit card (Capital One has no foreign transaction fees) at Walmart?  Is there a minimum amount of purchase for credit card usage at Walmart or at other stores?  If can't pay with credit card, can I pay with USD?  I am trying to decide how much pesos I should get at the ATM at my first port, Mazatlan.  PV is my 2nd stop. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

Can I use my U.S. credit card (Capital One has no foreign transaction fees) at Walmart?  Is there a minimum amount of purchase for credit card usage at Walmart or at other stores?  If can't pay with credit card, can I pay with USD?  I am trying to decide how much pesos I should get at the ATM at my first port, Mazatlan.  PV is my 2nd stop. 

Thank you.

You'll have no problem using your credit card at Walmart..no minimum required. And yes you can certainly pay with cash.

It's your decision to get pesos but it's not necessary at all. Over the many years of visiting these ports numerous times we've never felt a need to use pesos for the small amount that we spend there on purchases. Big purchases and for those that stay for extended periods of time pesos work out better for them.

52 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You'll have no problem using your credit card at Walmart..no minimum required. And yes you can certainly pay with cash.

It's your decision to get pesos but it's not necessary at all. Over the many years of visiting these ports numerous times we've never felt a need to use pesos for the small amount that we spend there on purchases. Big purchases and for those that stay for extended periods of time pesos work out better for them.

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.

Most stores and restaurants, in PV, do accept Visa/MC.  Just about everyone in PV will accept US Dollars but you will often get a lousy exchange rate and change will likely be in Pesos.  We have suggested, for several years, that cruisers visiting the west coast Mexican ports, can generally manage with US Dollars (nobody wants coins) and credit cards (where accepted).  Using Pesos will generally get you the best prices, but that is somewhat on your negotiating ability.  Some stores will actually post their exchange rate.  Walmart actually gives a decent exchange rate (and does accept credit cards).  Funny thing about Walmart, is that living in PV we seldom to never go to Walmart.  There are better places to buy food products and the Walmart across from the port is showing its age (there is a nicer and much newer Walmart in another location.

Just a word about using credit cards (or the ATM) in Mexico (and just about anywhere outside your home country).  There is a process formally called "Dynamic Currency Conversion"  (folks should Google and read up on the topic) which is simply legalized rip off endorsed by banks and credit card companies.  At some point in a transaction, the terminal may offer you a conversion rate (to Dollars) and the option to decline might be nearly hidden..or the screen may be designed to scare you into accepting that conversion.  Just say NO!  Let the international banking system handle the conversion (this is doen automatically) which will done at much better rates.  Accepting that dynamic currency rate will likely cost you more than 5%.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Most stores and restaurants, in PV, do accept Visa/MC.  Just about everyone in PV will accept US Dollars but you will often get a lousy exchange rate and change will likely be in Pesos.  We have suggested, for several years, that cruisers visiting the west coast Mexican ports, can generally manage with US Dollars (nobody wants coins) and credit cards (where accepted).  Using Pesos will generally get you the best prices, but that is somewhat on your negotiating ability.  Some stores will actually post their exchange rate.  Walmart actually gives a decent exchange rate (and does accept credit cards).  Funny thing about Walmart, is that living in PV we seldom to never go to Walmart.  There are better places to buy food products and the Walmart across from the port is showing its age (there is a nicer and much newer Walmart in another location.

Just a word about using credit cards (or the ATM) in Mexico (and just about anywhere outside your home country).  There is a process formally called "Dynamic Currency Conversion"  (folks should Google and read up on the topic) which is simply legalized rip off endorsed by banks and credit card companies.  At some point in a transaction, the terminal may offer you a conversion rate (to Dollars) and the option to decline might be nearly hidden..or the screen may be designed to scare you into accepting that conversion.  Just say NO!  Let the international banking system handle the conversion (this is doen automatically) which will done at much better rates.  Accepting that dynamic currency rate will likely cost you more than 5%.

Hank

Thank you for the valuable information!!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pppiglet said:

Another note on ATM's in Mexico, they do not usually take 6 digit pin numbers.  We just got back from Mexico and ran into this. Luckily my husband's card had a 4 digit pin. 

This is not just true in Mexico, but is the situation in many parts of the world.  Folks also need to know their PIN in numbers as many ATMs around the world do not have any letters on the keys.

Hank