best Alaska cruise for family with kids 8-16

crui5eg1rl

Hi!

I'm helping a family of 12 pick an Alaskan cruise.  Grandparents, parents with 4 kids, parents with 2 kids.  Kids are 8-16 yrs old.  Grandparents are especially interested in the ship that will have the best activity/entertainment options for all the ages.  They do not want Disney.  They did not have the best experience with Princess but did not entirely rule them out.

Celebrity and Holland America look nicer than RCL and NCCL but will there be enough other kids on those ships?

Thanks for your firsthand experience and feedback!!

I have to second Aquahound on Royal Caribbean for this particular group.  We've sailed in Alaska with other lines over the years, and if the priority is a wide variety of entertainment for various ages, I don't think anyone comes close to them.

• Like 1

When choosing your ship and itinerary, check the number of ports, and the times in port.  Alaska can be an exercise intensive cruise experience, with active excursions.  You may find that there is not much time left in the day for all those amenities, and  rainy weather - it often rains in Alaska - and cool weather may make the outdoor amenities less attractive.  I would be looking more at the ports and excursions than the expensive amenities you might not use.  

Although Holland America might have the best itinerary, they will also have the fewest kids activities, fewest kids, and probably the oldest demographic.  So I would put them last for this group.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aungrl said:

I have to second Aquahound on Royal Caribbean for this particular group.  We've sailed in Alaska with other lines over the years, and if the priority is a wide variety of entertainment for various ages, I don't think anyone comes close to them.

what about the itineraries?  does the larger ship limit them on where they can go?  seems I read that somewhere...

22 minutes ago, crui5eg1rl said:

what about the itineraries?  does the larger ship limit them on where they can go?  seems I read that somewhere...

Itineraries are a whole different discussion.  IMO, the best itineraries are trips out of Vancouver because they cruise the Canadian Inside Passage.  Also, because they cruise out of a Canadian port, they don't have to make an obligatory foreign port.  Cruises out of Seattle cruise outside in the open Pacific and have to make a foreign port stop in Victoria.  

If you go that route, my cruise line/ship recommendation would change to Celebrity Solstice Class ships.  I believe the Solstice and Eclipse are cruising that route.  Make sure Hubbard Glacier is on the route.  IMO, Hubbard is the single most impressive glacier on any Alaskan route.  Entertainment is still very good on Celebrity.  

All that said, if Seattle is your port of choice, I stick to my RCI recommendation.  

• Like 1

You're in a bit of a dilemma, as Holland America has the best itineraries and the most experience in Alaska, but also a bit of an older demographic. Not sure if that's the case in the middle of the summer with school out and everyone wanting to go to Alaska.

But entertainment for kids would be better on the other lines mentioned. Holland America has a kid's club, but probably fairly small.

I agree with 1025 that the itinerary is the reason for going to Alaska. Someone who was on a Princess cruise in Alaska this last summer said there were lots of kids on board.