Princess Hiding Cabins

DrSch

Good luck, Sunset, in calling Princess, or having your TA call Princess and getting re-booked.

I think it would have worked if you had tried booking on the phone, or thru a TA, and had them book the GTY and then assign you the specific cabin.   I think I have read that this is how some have handled this.

That just isn't how it works to only make ALL cabins in one whole cabin category available only to larger parties.  It just isn't.  Couples or parties of two book minisuites, or even suites, all the time.  Cruise lines are in the business of selling cabins!   Also, I don't believe the ships capacity would support having all third and fourth berths occupied.  

Right now the two of us can book a Mini, but not a Deluxe....  That is just, well, not right.  Makes no sense.

Inside cabins can sleep up to 4, but I have not heard of them holding. those cabins back.

The two of us have booked Deluxe balconies before, no problem!

If what I have noticed is correct, this issue started fairly recently.

I don't know what the problem is with booking these Deluxe Balconies...  But, by. now they have to know that this issue is happening.

If it is some strange 'policy', it would be very misguided.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

I recently ran into this problem for my 2024 cruise.  I wanted a Premium Deluxe Balcony and they were all guarantee.  My TA said she would have to call Princess. In the mean time I did some research and got on a live chat and was told that I could not pick my cabin and could only book guarantee.  Not satisfied with that answer I called Princess and was told that absolutely it can be done and just have my TA call them.  My TA called and ended up having to get a supervisor to approve putting us in the cabin of choice.  The computer kicked them out a couple times but we were able to book a Premium Deluxe Balcony for 2 people.  I don't understand why 2 people can't easily book a cabin with a sofa without having to book a mini suite.  Until this booking I have always booked 3 people to a cabin and have never had a problem getting a cabin for 3.  For me booking 2 people was way more difficult than booking 3. 

• Like 1

Yes, there is a lot of confusion.   That is one thing that is great about coming here on CC, you can get information that many won't know.

I don't know why this situation is happening.

I don't know if Princess is working on changing it.

I don't know why, even some TA's,  including some of the 'less than stellar' Princess Planners, do not even know how or why this is, or that they can work around it.

I have heard, book the GTY, then make phone calls to get the assignment.

In this one persons case, they are already past Final Payment, so changing their booking from one category to the Deluxe balcony might pose some problems.  They could try to tell this person that they would have to totally precancel and re-book, and charge cancellation fees.   But, actually, there should be no problem with upgrading on the same sailing.  In a perfect world.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

because it leaves us (the actual 3 people) with nothing to choose from. That sofa is the 3rd bed. There are few cabins that sleep 3...

...and even less that sleep 4....those are REALLY hard to find.

It seems they are mostly Inside or Mini-Suites.

If Princess is trying to attract younger families or multi-generational groups, they really need to work on that....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

...and even less that sleep 4....those are REALLY hard to find.

It seems they are mostly Inside or Mini-Suites.

If Princess is trying to attract younger families or multi-generational groups, they really need to work on that....

The entitlement generation can sometimes be appalling.  Sounds like Princess is finally doing something. 

Deb.  I am 'thinking' that a third person can be removed, before final payment, with no problem?

I believe that no changes can be made to the two first passengers?

I would not make any assumptions with things like this on Princess.

I would suggest that people call, in person, and verify....

Take whatever steps are necessary right there in the one phone call with the TA or Princess.

Either by having them book GTY and then making a cabin assignment.  (check availability by pulling up a mock booking for three)

Or by having them book a so-called third passenger, then a cancellation on the third.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

It should be FCFS...   Anybody who thinks anything should be reserved for, applied to/or not applied to, themselves..  That is, indeed,  the very definition of the word entitlement.

Agreed. There are parts of the ship that some people prefer to be in.  Why should they have to book a cabin elsewhere or be subject to the whims of where Princess wants to put them because they don't have kids?   

For the people that want the 4 people cabins - book early.  Or get two cabins. One adult and one kid in each.. You will be more comfortable that way anyway. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Deb.  I am 'thinking' that a third person can be removed, before final payment, with no problem?

I believe that no changes can be made to the two first passengers?

I would not make any assumptions with things like this on Princess.

I would suggest that people call, in person, and verify....

Take whatever steps are necessary right there in the one phone call with the TA or Princess.

Either by having them book GTY and then making a cabin assignment.  (check availability by pulling up a mock booking for three)

Or by having them book a so-called third passenger, then a cancellation on the third.

With Princess you can add / change / delete without charge anyone except the one of the two initial passengers before the final payment is due.  If you try to delete both the first 2 passengers they will typically cancel the cabin, even if you try to do it at different times.

But for someone to have to book 3 people, and then cancel one, in order to get a cabin that is open is a bit ridiculous.  If you can find the cabin is available, have your TA, or Princess book the cabin as GTY and then have them move you to the other cabin.  Either your or your TA will need to call in to Princess for it, although sometimes if you know it's available, your TA can change the cabin number after it's booked from a different screen.  ( But to find out its available you (or they) need to pretend to book the cabin as 3 or more).  The problem becomes when they book you at a higher (or lower) booking level, then you can't get that cabin without a more difficult change process. 

• Like 1

Big Box online site show De Luxe balconies, so it does not make sense for these to be 'hidden' on Princess. BTW I thought OBS Balconies were hidden on Princess until Wishing-on-a-star pointed out they are an upgrade in the Inside category. OBS De Luxe ae also shown as an upgrade.

I must be missing something - De Luxe is shown as an option for regular balconies on Princess ??????

Tedferg, you say that the big box online site show Deluxe balconies.  Are they actually showing balconies that can be booked, when booking for two guests?

Would you give us the sailing that is showing these balconies..

That is another thing that is so confusing.  I have seen a few sailings that do show these deluxe balconies available for two guest.  But, I think many if not most, do not.

And, I can't see any rhyme or reason why the difference.

The biggest issue I have here with Princess is the lack of truth and transparency.

We shouldn't have to be here on a chatboard trying to figure out and work around their policies or system.

Princess does not have my respect lately.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Tedferg, you say that the big box online site show Deluxe balconies.  Are they actually showing balconies that can be booked, when booking for two guests?

Would you give us the sailing that is showing these balconies..

That is another thing that is so confusing.  I have seen a few sailings that do show these deluxe balconies available for two guest.  But, I think many if not most, do not.

And, I can't see any rhyme or reason why the difference.

The biggest issue I have here with Princess is the lack of truth and transparency.

We shouldn't have to be here on a chatboard trying to figure out and work around their policies or system.

Princess does not have my respect lately.

The cruises are British Isles, June, July 2023, Regal. I went through booking process until last step, 2 passengers. I can do this on Princess site also. When I choose location, some decks show only Reserve Gty, others show available cabins. When I choose Balcony, Deluxe and Premier show as options.

It seems logical to me that the cruise line should sell all cabins on the basis of full occupancy at least until very near sail date.  It makes business sense to maximise passenger numbers.  Many cruise lines only have guarantee basis cabins on the lowest grade of each type. This also makes business sense as they can move people without improving the passenger's cabin type.  If they followed these policies most people could book where they like to be on the ship and in their chosen cabin type.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tedferg,  VERY confusing!

It appears that Deluxe Balcony cabins are showing for two guests.  But no rhyme or reason on why some are showing, like on certain decks, and some are not.

On Caribbean cruises that I have looked at, it will not show anything but GTY unless you put in three or more.  That is it. 

If I were wanting to book on of the desired AFT wake view cabins, and this 'system' is keeping me from doing that, when I can SEE that half of them are available...  Not happy...  

I don't know what the Princess system or 'algorithms' . might be doing, but it is confounding for sure!!!

Some have wondered if it were because of staffing and regulation issues.  But that doesn't hold water.

If you do get ready to book, and it only shows GTY, but you can see that the cabin is actually available, I would call and do whatever 'hokey pokey' it would take to get the cabin I needed.

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Tedferg,  VERY confusing!

It appears that Deluxe Balcony cabins are showing for two guests.  But no rhyme or reason on why some are showing, like on certain decks, and some are not.

On Caribbean cruises that I have looked at, it will not show anything but GTY unless you put in three or more.  That is it. 

If I were wanting to book on of the desired AFT wake view cabins, and this 'system' is keeping me from doing that, when I can SEE that half of them are available...  Not happy...  

I don't know what the Princess system or 'algorithms' . might be doing, but it is confounding for sure!!!

Some have wondered if it were because of staffing and regulation issues.  But that doesn't hold water.

If you do get ready to book, and it only shows GTY, but you can see that the cabin is actually available, I would call and do whatever 'hokey pokey' it would take to get the cabin I needed.

Agree, I guessed at Caribbean Princess, in this case just Premium no Deluxe. On 14 day cruise in June it is as you say, just one aft Deluxe shows on deck 9 but only for 3 passengers.

If I chose 7 day cruise I see several Aft Premium with just 2 passengers.

Also on 14 day cruise, Big Box would not show Dolphin deck as an option unless I chose 3 passengers.

Edited by Tedferg

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

because it leaves us (the actual 3 people) with nothing to choose from. That sofa is the 3rd bed. There are few cabins that sleep 3...

I understand that because I have booked 3 to a cabin for the last 15 years and prefer a sofa bed to an upper when booking 3 in a cabin.  Which used to be non-existent on Princess unless you booked a mini suite or suite. That being said I've never had an issue getting a cabin for 3 but getting the 2 person cabin I wanted was way more challenging. 

Mini suites also have a sofa and sleep 3 and they are almost always available for 2 people to book.  So I can book 2 in a mini suite/suite with a sofa but not a balcony with a sofa?

10 hours ago, DrSch said:

Agreed. There are parts of the ship that some people prefer to be in.  Why should they have to book a cabin elsewhere or be subject to the whims of where Princess wants to put them because they don't have kids?   

For the people that want the 4 people cabins - book early.  Or get two cabins. One adult and one kid in each.. You will be more comfortable that way anyway. 

Princess isn't doing it on a "whim"....they have an interest in having the cabins that sleep 3-4 available for that ....they charge for the 3rd and 4th guest.  

• Like 2

I had thought that maybe Princess was trying to go as far as to count and limit the number of people in each stewards cabin area.   (Staffing issues can be the big scapegoat sometimes). But, it should definitely be by number of cabins, not number of people.  And effectively 'forcing' more people into the Deluxe Balconies would be just the opposite of that.

You might have hit on something when you mention back to back cruises.  I think I have heard on cruises that are popular as back-to-back there are cabins that are held back for these bookings.  But, nope, that doesn't make sense either.   Number one, bookings that are past Final Payment are doing this.  And also, this seems to only be an issue or glitch with the Deluxe Balcony cabins.  Not other categories.

I don't know what Princess is thinking, or what the glitch is, or the crazy algorithm in the system, but I feel sorry for those who do not do their research, like here on CC, or have a really good TA who is aware of this and ready to work around it.

We sail in Deluxe balconies, and if we weren't planning to sail on a budget next time, I would go thru whatever it took to get the cabin I wanted, knowing it was sitting there available.

• Like 1