Passport question

crimsonbird

We have a Caribbean cruise from Florida coming up mid November.  We sent our passports in for renewal.  After mailing them we realized we were cutting it close and may not get them back in time. Anyone know if we can sail with other docs.  

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

If this is a closed loop cruise, returning to the same port, you can sail with birth certificates and a government issued photo ID.  EM

I'd only add that the birth certificate has to be a certified one, usually or maybe always with an embossed seal. A copy won't work.

18 minutes ago, crimsonbird said:

We have a Caribbean cruise from Florida coming up mid November.  We sent our passports in for renewal.  After mailing them we realized we were cutting it close and may not get them back in time. Anyone know if we can sail with other docs.  

Have you checked the status on them? You can do that here if you mailed the renwal: U.S. Passport Application Status (state.gov)

You might still be able to get them expedited. When I renewed mine through the mail recently, there was something on the status page about if you're traveling soon.

15 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Have you checked the status on them? You can do that here if you mailed the renwal: U.S. Passport Application Status (state.gov)

You might still be able to get them expedited. When I renewed mine through the mail recently, there was something on the status page about if you're traveling soon.

Thanks.  Says in process.  Nothing more.  

1 minute ago, crimsonbird said:

Thanks.  Says in process.  Nothing more.  

FYI, I sent mine to be expedited. It sat there for maybe three weeks in process. Then I got an email (I'd signed up for email status alerts) that said it was approved and they were printing it. Took several days after that before I got it.

51 minutes ago, crimsonbird said:

Certified birth certificates and a valid US driver's license are required, if your passports do not arrive in time these will work.

Assuming you are going roundtrip to/from Florida and US citizens.

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Certified birth certificates and a valid US driver's license are required, if your passports do not arrive in time these will work.

Assuming you are going roundtrip to/from Florida and US citizens.

Thank you.  So..when they ask for passports at the port...we just show the other documents?  Or do we have to make prior arrangement?

1 minute ago, crimsonbird said:

Thank you.  So..when they ask for passports at the port...we just show the other documents?  Or do we have to make prior arrangement?

You show your documents at the port, just as you would a passport.  
Also, you can try to upload them to the document area on the App.  But it is a pain, others have tried.

So, I’d probably just leave the App alone and bring my docs with me.

Unless you DO get your new passports, then delete the old passports and enter the new ones on the App.

Good luck!  I hope you get your new ones.

If you got stuck in the Caribbean for some reason, you would not be able to fly home on a birth certificate/Dr Lis.

So…stay safe.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You show your documents at the port, just as you would a passport.  
Also, you can try to upload them to the document area on the App.  But it is a pain, others have tried.

So, I’d probably just leave the App alone and bring my docs with me.

Unless you DO get your new passports, then delete the old passports and enter the new ones on the App.

Good luck!  I hope you get your new ones.

If you got stuck in the Caribbean for some reason, you would not be able to fly home on a birth certificate/Dr Lis.

So…stay safe.

Nothing like stressing over a cruise...

10 minutes ago, crimsonbird said:

Nothing like stressing over a cruise...

Here’s a link on PCL that explains it. May make you feel a little better.  😮

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/cruises-that-dont-require-a-passport.html

35 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You do need an enhanced driver's license.   It will say valid for Federal Identification. 

Not for Closed Loops cruises:  Per cbp.gov https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

• U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

(Note that cruises that visit Central or South America are not WHTI compliant)

Enhanced Drivers Licenses (EDLs) are state-issued enhanced drivers licenses that provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship. They are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. EDLs are a low-cost, convenient option for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

Edited by Papa Yoda