Looking for tips, tricks and general advice!

lesters

We are cruising on the Carnival Magic in Feb 2023 visiting HMC, Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  On this sailing will be my Mom & Dad (70's) and this is their first cruise since my Dad's stroke 4 years ago.   My DH and I are fairly seasoned cruisers - just returned from an ABC voyage (take me back!!) but this will be our first time traveling with my parents (and their first time traveling since the stroke).  

A bit about my Dad - who is the reason I am checking in on this board - he was a fairly healthy active  guy until he suffered quite a severe stroke but after a lot of rehab and care he is in a spot far beyond what anyone ever could have anticipated.  He walks with a cane - a bit of a slower shuffle at times but pretty good 80% of the time.  This is our biggest concern that we are thinking of - how to manage his mobility.   He doesn't have the dexterity or hand/eye coordination to manage a scooter so that is not an option.

From what I've learned from reading on here and other sites is we can get assistance at the airports and at embarkation with wheelchair assistance so we will do that.  We are also going to bring his walker for a bit more stability if needed onboard, as well thinking it gives him a spot to sit if needed on longer walks. 

My parents are not in an accessible room - they are in a regular balcony.  On our cruise last month we noticed that the way the regular room is layed out - especially the bathroom with bars on the wall of the shower, hand shower etc. that will provide them with what they need for the room.   

Anything else you can suggest or think of???

For the ports we have a clam shell booked for each of us at HMC, thinking we can hopefully hang out on the beach for an hour or two, have lunch a beverage and head back.  For Grand Turk it is just an afternoon so I am renting a golf cart to tour around the island, Amber Cove is not a fav port - so not sue what to do there.. might be a good stay on the ship day.  But any other suggestions or tips to make the days go easier and not make my dad feel like he's a burden or being looked after.  It took a lot to get him to the point of him wanting to go - he was feeling like he wouldn't be able to do much so why bother. But we are hoping to have a really fun enjoyable - even if its different than their past cruises - time!

Thanks for any insight or advice.  I'm hoping the more prepared I can be the easier it can be on them! 

1 hour ago, lesters said:

We are cruising on the Carnival Magic in Feb 2023 visiting HMC, Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  On this sailing will be my Mom & Dad (70's) and this is their first cruise since my Dad's stroke 4 years ago.   My DH and I are fairly seasoned cruisers - just returned from an ABC voyage (take me back!!) but this will be our first time traveling with my parents (and their first time traveling since the stroke).  

A bit about my Dad - who is the reason I am checking in on this board - he was a fairly healthy active  guy until he suffered quite a severe stroke but after a lot of rehab and care he is in a spot far beyond what anyone ever could have anticipated.  He walks with a cane - a bit of a slower shuffle at times but pretty good 80% of the time.  This is our biggest concern that we are thinking of - how to manage his mobility.   He doesn't have the dexterity or hand/eye coordination to manage a scooter so that is not an option.

From what I've learned from reading on here and other sites is we can get assistance at the airports and at embarkation with wheelchair assistance so we will do that.  We are also going to bring his walker for a bit more stability if needed onboard, as well thinking it gives him a spot to sit if needed on longer walks. 

My parents are not in an accessible room - they are in a regular balcony.  On our cruise last month we noticed that the way the regular room is layed out - especially the bathroom with bars on the wall of the shower, hand shower etc. that will provide them with what they need for the room.   

Anything else you can suggest or think of???

For the ports we have a clam shell booked for each of us at HMC, thinking we can hopefully hang out on the beach for an hour or two, have lunch a beverage and head back.  For Grand Turk it is just an afternoon so I am renting a golf cart to tour around the island, Amber Cove is not a fav port - so not sue what to do there.. might be a good stay on the ship day.  But any other suggestions or tips to make the days go easier and not make my dad feel like he's a burden or being looked after.  It took a lot to get him to the point of him wanting to go - he was feeling like he wouldn't be able to do much so why bother. But we are hoping to have a really fun enjoyable - even if its different than their past cruises - time!

Thanks for any insight or advice.  I'm hoping the more prepared I can be the easier it can be on them! 

The only thought I have is whether having a wheelchair would be of any help if he has trouble with distances on the ship (or even getting off the ship and to whereever the next transportation might be).  It's no different than the wheelchair in the airport.

[Note:  I have a slight mobility problem that makes distances difficult sometimes, especially if there is no place to rest.  I always request a wheelchair at airports.  We are starting to consider whether something like a "rollator with a seat" might be useful when we travel... at some point...  "Whatever makes the trip more pleasant" is what matters to us, right!?  I also am recovering from a broken foot [the spider lost the fight], so I may be needing more help in the future; today is the day I was given the "okay" to remove that *$&#%*# boot. 😁   And good riddance to it...!]

Also, about his concern about "not being able to do much"... for some of us (and that general "us" includes the specific "us" sometimes! 🙂 ), part of the enjoyment of a cruise (vs and land vacation, for example) is precisely that there's no need to do much!"

Being ON the ship is a good part of the vacation... the sea breezes, rocking of the boat, different vistas so many times...  We don't even tend to do much of the ship entertainment, althought that varies by ship.  (HAL has the Lincoln Center classical music, which we found phenomenal, and I'd camp out early to get good seats because the venue didn't always have enough seats at all on our ship).  We always have a balcony, but we also enjoy finding other areas of the ship to sit and read.  I've been known to sit in a lounger and read on our balcony, and fall asleep out there.  Once DH let me sleep in peace, with the ocean breezes, etc., until I woke up in the wee hours.

Others might go to the late night shows, but not us (and our other family members don't tend to do that either, but that's their choice).

Tell him to plan to have a relaxing holiday, and if he wants to "do things"... then do them;  but if not, then enjoy the cruise.

If there are things he wants to do at some ports, that's great, too.  Even a taxi ride to scenic places (or a beach), or "around the island" for a smaller island, can be fun for a change of pace.

If you stay on the ship on a port day, you won't be alone!  Some people especially enjoy the ship without "all those others".  If he likes the pool, that's likely to be a time where it won't be crowded.  (Some ships have pools with lifts, if he would be willing to use that.)

Is it too late to request an accessible room?  If that might make things easier...?  I don't know what else about that type of room might be helpful.

I hope you all enjoy the cruise!

GC

• Like 2

My husband is in his early 80's and needs his walker 24/7.  On the cruises we've been on we've taken his foldable wheelchair, as walking from our stateroom to anywhere on the ship would be exhausting for him.  He can walk a bit when he's in the room so we fold the wheelchair and put it in the closet when not in use.  We've never had an accessible room yet.  

Have a great time on your cruise and relish every minute you have with your parents.  I lost both of mine when I was in my early 40's.

• Like 2

I would definitely vote for taking (or renting) a wheelchair.   Along with the walker.  Walkers make a great place to place carry-on items and then Dad can be in the wheelchair while someone else pushes the walker.  

It can be very tiring going from one end of the ship to the other, or just getting to the dining room for that matter.  Even for the best of us!   Docks at some of the port stops are very, very long and no need getting tired before even getting to the destination.  

Half Moon Cay is a tender port; take a look at this:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrG9OhYQzek

If using a wheelchair going up or down the ramps, let the crew help you.   They are there waiting to assist anyone needing assistance.  

If you have a wheelchair the worst that can happen is that he doesn't need to use it.   But if he does, you will be very glad you have it.  

Edited by kokopelli-az

I would add that in a regular cabin, the bathroom may have a grab bar or two, but I have found another one would be very helpful.  If you take along a suction-cup grab bar you can place it in whatever position is best for you.  I took a pair of these--

AmeriLuck 16.5inch 2 Pack Suction Balance Assist Bathroom Shower Handle,Bath Grab Bar with Indicators(White/Grey)

which I bought from Amazon, for $31.98, and they were very, very secure.  I could put them anywhere I needed them to be.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, juliet said:

My husband is in his early 80's and needs his walker 24/7.  On the cruises we've been on we've taken his foldable wheelchair, as walking from our stateroom to anywhere on the ship would be exhausting for him.  He can walk a bit when he's in the room so we fold the wheelchair and put it in the closet when not in use.  We've never had an accessible room yet.  

Have a great time on your cruise and relish every minute you have with your parents.  I lost both of mine when I was in my early 40's.

I also need my walker 24/7.I cannot cruise without an Accessible cabin and it is usually a verbal battle to get one because cruise lines tend not to ask for proof of disability.

I lost my parents when I was in my 30’s.

11 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We book our accessible staterooms a year out.  At least.     There are not that many on most ships and they sell out early.   

I normally have to book two years in advance.Prior to my last cruise I overheard a conversation in which a person was saying that even though she and her husband are not handicapped they always book Accessible cabins because they are larger.The ship that the cruise I desired to book supposedly did not have any accessible cabins .I wrote a letter to the CEO of the cruise line stating the conversation I overheard .A few days later I received a call telling me that there was a cancellation and that I could book the cabin.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I normally have to book two years in advance.Prior to my last cruise I overheard a conversation in which a person was saying that even though she and her husband are not handicapped they always book Accessible cabins because they are larger.The ship that the cruise I desired to book supposedly did not have any accessible cabins .I wrote a letter to the CEO of the cruise line stating the conversation I overheard .A few days later I received a call telling me that there was a cancellation and that I could book the cabin.

It really is sad to hear that non-disabled book the accessible cabins when they don't need them.   For people who do need them it makes travelling very difficult.   Those accessible cabins are few and far between and get booked up about a year ahead of time.  Really a shame for the disabled.  I wish the cruise lines would ensure that the cabins are not booked by guests who don't need them

2 hours ago, mexico8 said:

It really is sad to hear that non-disabled book the accessible cabins when they don't need them.   For people who do need them it makes travelling very difficult.   Those accessible cabins are few and far between and get booked up about a year ahead of time.  Really a shame for the disabled.  I wish the cruise lines would ensure that the cabins are not booked by guests who don't need them

Unfortunately we,the disabled are not a powerful enough force to do something about it that will be successful.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 2:41 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Yep not enough cabins and no supervision of who is allowed book them, I’ll now get back on my hobby horse, I could get by with a normal cabin if either

’The doors were slightly wider, or

They had somewhere to park and charge, I could get from the door into the cabin and Mrs G could take the chair to the park and charge location. On one of my first cruises they had such a location on a couple of decks

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep not enough cabins and no supervision of who is allowed book them, I’ll now get back on my hobby horse, I could get by with a normal cabin if either

’The doors were slightly wider, or

They had somewhere to park and charge, I could get from the door into the cabin and Mrs G could take the chair to the park and charge location. On one of my first cruises they had such a location on a couple of decks

Exactly.   I just need the room in the cabin to charge my battery and I could take my battery in the cabin and my husband could bring my scooter somewhere to store it overnight.  I wish there was a way to do this on ships.   Would help lots of us with scooters who can still walk enough in their cabin and can part with their scooters overnight etc.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is not just the cabins .At the theater you will find able bodied people in the sections designated for the handicapped.

One ship I was on even had a couple of tables reserved in the buffet for wheelchairs, ones you could roll up to with no hassles Could you ever get one, yep the one near one servers station he just told anyone else sitting there to move, in no uncertain terms but unfortunately like most things onboard they are scared to enforce the rules.

43 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

One ship I was on even had a couple of tables reserved in the buffet for wheelchairs, ones you could roll up to with no hassles Could you ever get one, yep the one near one servers station he just told anyone else sitting there to move, in no uncertain terms but unfortunately like most things onboard they are scared to enforce the rules.

I entered the theater on a ship.I saw an able bodied couple in the designated disabled section.I said something to the guy and his wife said that he forgot his cane in the cabin.I replied that I saw both of them when they boarded the ship and he did not have a cane.He began to curse.I complained to the theater Manager but he did not care.

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I entered the theater on a ship.I saw an able bodied couple in the designated disabled section.I said something to the guy and his wife said that he forgot his cane in the cabin.I replied that I saw both of them when they boarded the ship and he did not have a cane.He began to curse.I complained to the theater Manager but he did not care.

It is a rare crew member that will enforce the rules

One tip, is bring a thick skin. I have some mobility, I have health conditions that a senior ER doctor called “Interesting, is it OK if I use you file as a teaching aid” a spine that my friend a GP calls a “Complicated Mess” mini strokes most days, so suffer frequent falls, I try to use the minimum I can for what I am facing, be it two canes (can’t get bye with one anymore), a Walker, or a power wheelchair, I can’t count the number of times I have heard “ You are faking it, I saw you out of that chair the other day, do you use it for priority boarding” or similar. I have learnt to mostly ignore it, my mate who is 6’8 and near on 400lb near on throws them overboard if he hears it, but that is nothing compared to Mrs G’s reaction.

I near on guarantee you will get someone question you about your disability   

• Thanks 1

I have a question about rising from the chairs  in the dining room and the buffet. I have a lot of difficulty getting out of a chair. I do have a walker that I've never used because I really do prefer the cane and so far it has  serviced me well. This next cruise though I believe I am going to take the walker for I think I may need it. 

My question is this. Does the ship provide anything that will help me get up and down from a chair? A pillow of some sort or a cushion? I'd be willing to purchase something but I don't know what to buy. Any suggestions?

Also, how would a walker   work getting on a bus for a an excursion and going up and down the ramp to get  on and off the ship? Is it very difficult?

Thank you

Edited by sandrajean123

4 hours ago, sandrajean123 said:

I have a question about rising from the chairs  in the dining room and the buffet. I have a lot of difficulty getting out of a chair. 

My question is this. Does the ship provide anything that will help me get up and down from a chair? A pillow of some sort or a cushion? I'd be willing to purchase something but I don't know what to buy. Any suggestions?

Also, how would a walker   work getting on a bus for a an excursion and going up and down the ramp to get  on and off the ship? Is it very difficult?

Thank you

First of all, what ship/cruise line are you going to be in?

Look for a chair with arms in the buffet/dining room to help you get up.    You might grab several of the folded beach towels they have by the pool.  Stack them in your chair so you are higher.   If there are pillows, ask for or grab one/some.  Especially in the dining room, employees are on the lookout for people needing assistance.

Check with your cruise line's Access Department and ask about any cushions they might provide.   

You can probably take your walker on a tour bus (they would stow it in the luggage compartment below the bus) but you need to be able to go up the bus steps to get inside the bus.   Your cruise may have some accessible tours to consider.  Again, check with your cruise line's Access Department.

Ask for wheelchair assistance for embarking and disembarking the ship.   A wheelchair pusher (using the ship's wheelchair) will push you from dropping your luggage off, through security and check-in and on to the ship.   They can load your walker on the back of wheelchair.   You may have two pushers.   On embarking the first one might be one of the port employees.  They can only push you so far and then a ship employee takes over.  Tips are appreciated.

As far as going up/down the ramp at port stops, the ship personnel will help you.  If you don't feel comfortable with the ramp, make sure to wait for someone to help you.  They are right there to help.

The ship personnel are excellent when it comes to watching out for those who need help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

First of all, what ship/cruise line are you going to be in?

Look for a chair with arms in the buffet/dining room to help you get up.    You might grab several of the folded beach towels they have by the pool.  Stack them in your chair so you are higher.   If there are pillows, ask for or grab one/some.  Especially in the dining room, employees are on the lookout for people needing assistance.

Check with your cruise line's Access Department and ask about any cushions they might provide.   

You can probably take your walker on a tour bus (they would stow it in the luggage compartment below the bus) but you need to be able to go up the bus steps to get inside the bus.   Your cruise may have some accessible tours to consider.  Again, check with your cruise line's Access Department.

Ask for wheelchair assistance for embarking and disembarking the ship.   A wheelchair pusher (using the ship's wheelchair) will push you from dropping your luggage off, through security and check-in and on to the ship.   They can load your walker on the back of wheelchair.   You may have two pushers.   On embarking the first one might be one of the port employees.  They can only push you so far and then a ship employee takes over.  Tips are appreciated.

As far as going up/down the ramp at port stops, the ship personnel will help you.  If you don't feel comfortable with the ramp, make sure to wait for someone to help you.  They are right there to help.

The ship personnel are excellent when it comes to watching out for those who need help.

1 minute ago, sandrajean123 said:

I will be on Holland America. I think I'm going to give them a call and see what they have to say. But thank you so much for your reply , it as been very helpful.

Edited by sandrajean123

On 11/21/2022 at 1:23 PM, sandrajean123 said:

I will be on Holland America. I think I'm going to give them a call and see what they have to say. But thank you so much for your reply , it as been very helpful.

I would rely too much on their answers, seems most call centre staff have no idea.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:20 AM, sandrajean123 said:

I have a question about rising from the chairs  in the dining room and the buffet. I have a lot of difficulty getting out of a chair. I do have a walker that I've never used because I really do prefer the cane and so far it has  serviced me well. This next cruise though I believe I am going to take the walker for I think I may need it. 

Thank you

How do you usually rise from a dining room type chair?  Do you prefer a special type of chair (such as one with arms, as suggested)?  Or....?

Does the walker somehow help you to get up?

Unless you have some very special and elaborate arrangements for regular life, it could probably be arranged to have something similar.

Discuss what would be useful when you speak with the Special Needs at HAL.  I'm sure there have been others with similar difficulties, and they might have some suggestions.

GC

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, GUT2407 said:

One tip, is bring a thick skin. I have some mobility, I have health conditions that a senior ER doctor called “Interesting, is it OK if I use you file as a teaching aid” a spine that my friend a GP calls a “Complicated Mess” mini strokes most days, so suffer frequent falls, I try to use the minimum I can for what I am facing, be it two canes (can’t get bye with one anymore), a Walker, or a power wheelchair, I can’t count the number of times I have heard “ You are faking it, I saw you out of that chair the other day, do you use it for priority boarding” or similar. I have learnt to mostly ignore it, my mate who is 6’8 and near on 400lb near on throws them overboard if he hears it, but that is nothing compared to Mrs G’s reaction.

I near on guarantee you will get someone question you about your disability   

my hubby used to get help suggestions at work that were more mothering than helpful.  His response was thank you but the position of my mother has already been filled!  

Im thinking I already have a doctor and several specialist! 

fortunately, I’ve not been challenged.  when I had a rollator, mostly for balance I would walk down one or two steps in the back to sit because I could do that many stairs when there was a handrail. On the smaller ships we get to know each other and who cannot even transfer, most will move for them!  Now my hubby often will not sit in the companion seats but will sit in front of me one row down.  But then he also will get me in an elevator and then take the stairs!