CPAP water

GypsyOBRN

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

How 'bout $1.99 a gal here.

I make my own.  Takes all day to make 6 gallons.  But, well worth the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-Distiller-Countertop-Distilling-Distillers/dp/B09CTRMXSR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=UCQCN4XSQDKS&keywords=water%2Bdistiller&qid=1674252433&sprefix=water%2Bdistiller%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-6&th=1

image.png.45effcdb16b0380cb326582fcb608e67.png

• Like 1

In addition to the triple tap outlet, I also suggest bringing some magnetic hooks (like these, but I'm sure you can find some locally: https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Maximum-Neodymium-Corrosion-Protection/dp/B0787Q54M1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=21T6E9F242LZ1&keywords=magnetic%2Bhooks&qid=1674253361&sprefix=magnetic%2Bhooks%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSEJXN0pXOExQN0IwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk0NTY0OFI4REoyN0pYNzdMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MzAzNzcyMTFCQVE2QzI3VlNGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1)  

In our (rear facing) cabin on Mariner, the closest outlet we could find was literally across the room.  I had a couple magnetic hooks I put on the ceiling and ran the extension cord through them.  That meant not having to worry about tripping over the cord. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I don't use a CPAP.  That being said, I thought the tap water was purified already.  What happens if you just use the tap water on the ship?

The tap water on the ship works perfectly.  I do it all the time.

46 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I don't use a CPAP.  That being said, I thought the tap water was purified already.  What happens if you just use the tap water on the ship?

Our water here in Oxford, AL is supposed to be pretty good.  Just ask them.  However, after distilling 6 gallons of tap water, you'd be surprised at the amount of crap is in the bottom and sides of the distiller.  It ain't purdy.  It's like a white talcum powder.  We only use the tap water to wash dishes and clothing with.  Other than that, we use the Zero Water filter system for drinking and cooking.  Distilled for the CPAP machines.  We do keep a very health supply of bottled water, too.  

EDITED IN:  I forgot to mention, I've been told and read by many sources that the ships water is fairly good.  However, I don't care for the taste of it.  If I can taste something, it ain't pure.  Not that any I've described above is pure.  Maybe taking a sample of the ships water and take it to a water filtration company, most will test it for free, we find out just how good the ships water is, at least that ship's water.  

Edited by Ret MP

15 hours ago, Cigar King said:

There are different levels of purification.  You put a carbon filter on the water to your fridge, that is one level of purification.   You put it through a Reverse Osmosis system, that is a whole other level of filtration.   Distilled is a whole other level from that.   

Technically you are only supposed to put distilled water in the CPAP machine.  DH uses RO water in his.   It just eventually gets a white film on the water container.  

16 hours ago, Cigar King said:

It depends.  The water onboard comes from three sources.  One is shore water that is taken on in ports if the itinerary does not allow enough time to make all the water needed for the voyage at sea.  So, this is definitely not distilled water.  The second source is from sea water via RO watermakers.  The RO units on ships will produce water with less than 20ppm solids, which is acceptable drinking water, but, again is not distilled.  The third source is made from sea water using flash evaporators.  These will produce water with less than 1ppm of solids, and is by definition distilled water.

Now, distilled water is slightly acidic, which will attack piping and plumbing fixtures if left alone.  Therefore, the ship passes all the water made by the evaporators through a bed of calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums) to neutralize the water.  This adds solids to the water, therefore it is not distilled anymore.  Chlorine is also added to the water.

For short periods, use of ship's tap water is generally fine for CPAP and humidifiers.  There are methods of removing scale from the water systems of CPAP machines, if they become excessive.

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

However, I don't care for the taste of it. 

Do you drink the water in the dining venues?  Ice? It is the same water, just having gone through a carbon filter at the dispenser.  Most of the taste in ship's water is the chlorine, and the carbon filter removes this (that's what it's there for, to keep chlorine scale from the machinery, not to improve the taste).

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Maybe taking a sample of the ships water and take it to a water filtration company, most will test it for free, we find out just how good the ships water is, at least that ship's water.  

The ship's water is tested monthly by third party testing sources, from samples collected at the storage tanks and at least 6 locations (dining rooms, cabin baths, bars, etc) around the ship, that are rotated randomly.  They must meet FDA requirements for pure drinking water, and will generally be far better than the required.

17 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Royal Caribbean: All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. Royal Caribbean adheres to Vessel Sanitation Program standards published by the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS). The USPHS conducts inspections of the ship, both during its construction and throughout the year, to ensure compliance.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you drink the water in the dining venues?  Ice? It is the same water, just having gone through a carbon filter at the dispenser.  Most of the taste in ship's water is the chlorine, and the carbon filter removes this (that's what it's there for, to keep chlorine scale from the machinery, not to improve the taste).

My only complaint with the ship's water is the taste.  If I have ice, it is with a soda or adult beverage and the taste of the water is covered up, for the most part.  Again, I only complained about the taste.  And I don't drink the water in the dining room or anywhere else, by the glass.  

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship's water is tested monthly by third party testing sources, fro samples collected at the storage tanks and at least 6 locations (dining rooms, cabin baths, bars, etc) around the ship, that are rotated randomly.  They must meet FDA requirements for pure drinking water, and will generally be far better than the required.

AGAIN, my only complaint is about the TASTE.  I don't care how it is filtered, how often the system is rotated, how many systems there are, where they are located, who inspects the system/water, or anything like that, I DON'T LIKE THE TASTE and prefer to not drink it.  That's it, end of story.  

BTW, I did say that, "I've been told and read by many sources that the ships water is fairly good".

I pre-ordered a bottle on Allure last April with special needs and it was in my room when I arrived. I use it for my nasal rinse with special medication for sinus issues. I was pleasantly surprised that it was in the room, as our coffee cards were not!

On 1/20/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ret MP said:

I make my own.  Takes all day to make 6 gallons.  But, well worth the effort.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:12 PM, Ret MP said:

However, after distilling 6 gallons of tap water, you'd be surprised at the amount of crap is in the bottom and sides of the distiller.  It ain't purdy.  It's like a white talcum powder. 

I do this now too @Ret MP and really appreciate how convenient it is to have distilled water whenever I need it without having to run to the store, or run to the store and find that they're out! I also now just reuse the last 3 plastic bottles that I bought before I got the distiller so I'm happy that I'm not causing as much plastic waste. I may have the same machine as you. And yes, the gunk that is left behind is gross. Mine is a brownish color. Always thrilled to do the citrus clean cycle!

13 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I pre-ordered a bottle on Allure last April with special needs and it was in my room when I arrived. I use it for my nasal rinse with special medication for sinus issues. I was pleasantly surprised that it was in the room, as our coffee cards were not!

I do this now too @Ret MP and really appreciate how convenient it is to have distilled water whenever I need it without having to run to the store, or run to the store and find that they're out! I also now just reuse the last 3 plastic bottles that I bought before I got the distiller so I'm happy that I'm not causing as much plastic waste. I may have the same machine as you. And yes, the gunk that is left behind is gross. Mine is a brownish color. Always thrilled to do the citrus clean cycle!

I use a lot of vinegar in my cloths washer, I work out a lot (I walk, speed walk (a 71 year old's version of "speed walk" LOL) about 3.5 miles a day).  We by vinegar by the 2 one gallon box at Sam's club.  So, I always have plastic gallon bottles around.  I make 6 gallons, one gallon at a time and they lasts for over a month.  That's 3 gallons for me and 3 for my wife.  

I used to buy that Citrus cleaning stuff from Amazon.  But, I've found that a couple of cups of vinegar and the rest of water to the fill line works just as good.  Heat to boiling, put the top back on, unplug, and let it rest for 24 hours.  Clean as a whistle.  

EDITED IN:  BTW, this may sound crazy but I use Zero Water filtered water to start with.  

Edited by Ret MP

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I used to buy that Citrus cleaning stuff from Amazon.  But, I've found that a couple of cups of vinegar and the rest of water to the fill line works just as good.  Heat to boiling, put the top back on and let it rest for 24 hours.  Clean as a whistle.  

Good tip, may try it - thanks! I wish I could make vinegar easily too. My issue is mostly storage at home - the citrus cleaner is a much smaller package than all that vinegar.

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Good tip, may try it - thanks! I wish I could make vinegar easily too. My issue is mostly storage at home - the citrus cleaner is a much smaller package than all that vinegar.

I hear ya.  Storage is an issue for me too.  But, I do what I feel I must. LOL  

I've been thinking of making my own Apple Cider vinegar w/mother as I drink about 2 tablespoons every morning.  But, from what I've read, it takes a lot of patients and space.  So, I'll just by a gallon jug every few weeks.