Question regarding Speciality dining

Madsniels

Greeting followed Cruisers

I'm new to Holland America, but I have booked a Christmas cruise this year on Rotterdam.

My question is regarding the specialty dining, I have already booked and prepaid for them all except for the Ruddi (I'm not into seafood) 

But when you are eating there How many dishes can you choose from the menu? When I watch videos from the restaurants, it looks like people order more starters and more main courses? Are you allowed to order 2 or 3 main courses if you want?

Another question, I consider me a foodie, I like good food and good quality, I also booked the orange club - Mostly because of the private dining venue. But in general, how good is the food onboard Holland America? And is the club orange restaurant open during lunch on sea days like the MDR?

2 hours ago, Madsniels said:

...How many dishes can you choose from the menu? When I watch videos from the restaurants, it looks like people order more starters and more main courses? Are you allowed to order 2 or 3 main courses if you want?

...But in general, how good is the food onboard Holland America? 

Extra entree is $10 in Tamarind, $15 in Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's. No charge is specified for Canaletto, but the entrees are sized for sharing, so keep that in mind.

We too avoided Rudi's for a long time because we do not eat shellfish. Then I saw Roger's menu and booked Sel de Mer for NYE, which is also our anniversary! I will have rack of lamb; my husband probably sea bass or sole! 

Can't speak on food quality to a foodie! Have never gone hungry. In the MDR, I alternate between not being able to choose between multiple things that sound good, and falling back on the strip steak or salmon that is always on the menu (or in the kitchen if not listed on menu).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madsniels said:

Greeting followed Cruisers

I'm new to Holland America, but I have booked a Christmas cruise this year on Rotterdam.

My question is regarding the specialty dining, I have already booked and prepaid for them all except for the Ruddi (I'm not into seafood) 

But when you are eating there How many dishes can you choose from the menu? When I watch videos from the restaurants, it looks like people order more starters and more main courses? Are you allowed to order 2 or 3 main courses if you want?

Another question, I consider me a foodie, I like good food and good quality, I also booked the orange club - Mostly because of the private dining venue. But in general, how good is the food onboard Holland America? And is the club orange restaurant open during lunch on sea days like the MDR?

The food on HAL is about what you would expect at any cruise line at this price point.    We like it, many do, some don't - Food and entertainment reviews are usually so subjective that they are of limited value.    People have a wide variety of experience and expectations - so you never really know.... 

• Like 2

I found the majority of the food better on Holland than either Celebrity or Princess, though I enjoyed the specialty restaurants on Princess more.

The waiter will explain to you how to order. Basically its one entrée per guest but the other courses seem negotiable. We dont eat a whole lot so never really tested it. We didn't go hungry that's for sure.

I will try to find the link to my comparison earlier this fall. Ill update if I find it.

Definitely reserve for Rudi's Sal de Mer - we enjoyed a wonderful meal on the Niew Amsterdam (pop-up in the Pinnacle on that class ship.)  They did a cheese souffle that my mother ordered that was the absolute best thing eaten during the entire 21-day trip.  It was sublime. Almost more like a cheese custard but very light and airy. YUMMMMY.  We are doing SA/Antarctica on the Oosterdam this coming December and have already booked our table - here's hoping they pass recipes around between the ships!

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Extra entree is $10 in Tamarind, $15 in Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's. No charge is specified for Canaletto, but the entrees are sized for sharing, so keep that in mind.

We too avoided Rudi's for a long time because we do not eat shellfish. Then I saw Roger's menu and booked Sel de Mer for NYE, which is also our anniversary! I will have rack of lamb; my husband probably sea bass or sole! 

Can't speak on food quality to a foodie! Have never gone hungry. In the MDR, I alternate between not being able to choose between multiple things that sound good, and falling back on the strip steak or salmon that is always on the menu (or in the kitchen if not listed on menu).

On the Niew Statendam in August I had the Dover sole at Sel de Mer. It was a big piece and the waitress deboned it at the table. For dessert I had the crepe suzzettes. I don't 

remember what my stepfather had, but we enjoyed our meals and service was attentive.  That is great that you will eat there on your anniversary and NYE!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

On the Niew Statendam in August I had the Dover sole at Sel de Mer. It was a big piece and the waitress deboned it at the table. For dessert I had the crepe suzzettes. I don't 

remember what my stepfather had, but we enjoyed our meals and service was attentive.  That is great that you will eat there on your anniversary and NYE!

We are looking forward to enjoying the Dover Sole on Rotterdam next year.  Enjoy the table side deboning too.

• Like 2

We are definitely into higher quality food, so we dine most days in the specialty restaurants for dinner, because we are now 4* so it's 50% off for most. We especially like the yellowtail appetizer at Nami Sushi. Pinnacle Grill is comparable to Morton's or Ruth Chris Steak house. Canaletto is surprisingly great food for being an off shoot of the Lido buffet. The lamb chops there are the best deal and perfectly prepared, and their fish soup is excellent.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, shipshape sam said:

We are looking forward to enjoying the Dover Sole on Rotterdam next year.  Enjoy the table side deboning too.

One of my all time favorite dishes and Rudi's does it very well. I too love the table side deboning.

But yes as many have said Rudi's has a lot more than seafood. It is French Bistro style cuisine. Dh loved their Steak Frites. 

32 minutes ago, Greysandy said:

We are definitely into higher quality food, so we dine most days in the specialty restaurants for dinner, because we are now 4* so it's 50% off for most. We especially like the yellowtail appetizer at Nami Sushi. Pinnacle Grill is comparable to Morton's or Ruth Chris Steak house. Canaletto is surprisingly great food for being an off shoot of the Lido buffet. The lamb chops there are the best deal and perfectly prepared, and their fish soup is excellent.

I agree with you that Canaletto has great food. I asked for a half portion of the 

chicken parmesan and it was the perfect size for me. My stepfather wanted the

veal meatballs for his entree,  but it was an appetizer. The waitress brought him an

entree size portion. The service was wonderful.

• Like 3