Arvia maiden cancelled

molecrochip

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As an addendum to this I think I heard Capt Dunlop on his muster announcement, on our recent Iona cruise, state that passengers needing help to board lifeboats in an emergency would be boarded last.

I may have misheard the announcement, but if correct this does not fill me with confidence.

You don't delay 30 people getting on a safety craft to assist one person. Also preparations for assisting one person can be made whilst everyone else is boarding.

Do remember that in a real emergency, the majority of crew will be boarding their safety craft after the passengers - so being swift is in their interests. Its also worth pointing out that as part of their regular training they do exercises looking at assisting disabled and injured people onto the safety craft.

8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

For comparison, Saga allocate a specific crew member to anyone registering for assistance. At muster, you wait in your cabin until he/she comes to collect you and they stay with you and see you back to your cabin. This arrangement means you can use the lifts at muster (obviously not in a real emergency) and you know who is responible for you.

P&O have a similar system whereby you get allocated a stairway guide who you meet at the closest lift lobby to your cabin. In a real emergency they remain with you throughout.

7 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Perhaps it is also a sign of the times, in that they may not believe that  people will wait quietly in a true emergency (sinking ship , fire) whilst they slowly load a wheelchair in front of them.

Remember that boarding a safety craft only occurs in a potential preservation of life scenario. On a lot of ships someone will be lifted from their chair to an emergency evac-chair type arrangement - its like a structured blanket. They will be lifted onto the safety craft without their chair.

A word of caution on my comment above: the exact procedure followed will depend upon the specific individual's disabilities ensuring that further injury isn't going to be caused.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2022 at 11:15 AM, Windsurfboy said:

All I  can say is on my cruise all rear suites have gone and forward are £1000 more than I paid..

Going off piste and the previous conversation about booking early

I've just had a look a balcony  availability on my 2024 cruise,  on a select fare you have choice of what looks like 75% of cabins.  This either means there is a huge amount of unbooked cabins. Or the vast majority are booking  guarantee. But to me it does point to on the two biggest ships that a gamble on last minute  bargins for a balcony cabin is perhaps worth it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gsgbrumuk said:

The first physical muster I did no one noticed I wasn't wear the life jacket.  We had 3 occupants in our cabin but only 2 jackets.  On way back after muster I asked for one.

Little containers of shampoo and soap - fine.  Slippers - maybe? Dressing gowns - certainly not.

But life jackets?  😱

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, gsgbrumuk said:

I've read on FB this evening that for one night only a shakedown cruise is taking place on 21 December 2022.

Anyone know anything about it?

If it is a one-nighter, it will probably be by invitation only for TA's, Carnival Staff and maybe 'social influencers'...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gsgbrumuk said:

Yes much too late for you!  Queen Anne's maiden was supposed to be 04 January 2024 - over a year away.

Whoops - sorry.  Never looked at the year. 

As you said, plenty of notice. 

To be fair,  sometimes in a construction project of this kind, you can foresee problems/schedule issues a long way out, and plan accordingly.  It's when you are only a few weeks away from completion that your wriggle room disappears. 

• Like 1

Some dates:

18th expected arrival in Southampton, Ocean Terminal

20th is the postponed-maiden lunch

21st-22nd is the shakedown test-cruise for travel agents, media, crew family and head office staff. This is overnight and the ship is not due to leave Southampton.

23rd Maiden / Christmas cruise

Some may remember I posted pictures from Iona’s shakedown. It’s a dry run of embarkation and debarkation day. It also gives crew in each area a chance to test their procedures such as dinner service in the main dining room. Things will go wrong - this is to iron out those problems so please don’t judge the ship on shakedown problem reports.

I’ve chosen not to go on the shakedown this year as I’m busy that day so no pictures I’m afraid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3