Guaranteed Stateroom

Capitaine Crounche

Hello everyone,

I want to book a cruise but the cabin category I like (interior, aft) are not available to select, the only option is to book as "Guaranteed Stateroom".

I took several cruises but never did that.  I understand I will have no control on location and that stateroom could be assigned the day of the departure.

But I would like to hear about experiences some of you had.  How was your experience when you booked a "Guaranteed Stateroom"?  Were you upgraded?  Or did you end in a bad location?

Thank you

I know it's frustrating sometimes, and I am awaiting a cabin assignment now.  Have never had an issue the few times we booked a guarantee.

Just remember, a bad day on a cruise beats a good day at work, any day.

• Like 4

And just like that, my room was assigned.  The day after I posted that.  Cruise is Dec 18, got stateroom assigned on Oct 26.  And it is a good one.  Booked a balcony guarantee, got assigned a BB on a full cruise.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Capitaine Crounche said:

How was your experience when you booked a "Guaranteed Stateroom"?  Were you upgraded?  Or did you end in a bad location?

No issues booking a guarantee, especially if price is an a concern or nothing else is available. 

Sometimes an upgrade, sometimes you get exactly what you paid for. 

Yes, you can end up in a bad location.  It's the chance you take. 

We usually pick our room, but we have done a guarantee about 25% of the time.  No complaints.  We have a standard balcony guarantee for our Nov 19th sailing, which no assignment yet.  I keep checking to see if it is assigned yet and I think it kind of adds to the fun/excitement.  The 2 other couples we are traveling with have their assignments, so I keep saying that we are still in the running for the penthouse or owners suite!  LOL

• Like 2

Hey Captain,  would you mind saying which sailing?

Are you wanting a specific deck, high or mid or low?

Is it for two, or more than that, or solo?

Princess is rolling out the new Bidding For Upgrade system.

With that, I would think that there would be fewer random upgrades.

Never know!   And, yes it could be any location.

Booked a balcony guarantee. Have not done this before for a late January cruise. When I booked balcony cabins were not available. Just got our cabin assignment on Marina deck. We are close to where it could be noisy. 

Most of the time I book a gty because I don’t care where the cabin is.  Twice I have for fabulous cabins. Booked an inside gty on a B2B to Alaska on Diamond Princess and got assigned a HUGE accessible cabin.  My TA said they knew I didn’t need an HC cabin, but it was probably the only inside available for both weeks.  I booked about five weeks out.  On HAL I booked a collectors cruise of 14 nights in an inside gty.  I got one of the big square cabins on main deck.  Liked it so well that I booked the same cabin for 24 nights in the Mediterranean .  I’ve also had good results on Cunard and Celebrity.  EM

We have booked a guarantee cabin twice, both time a balcony guarantee.  Both times somewhat last minute.  Both times the "guarantee rate" was significantly lower than the rate to choose a room.  One time we had a balcony cabin which was perfectly fine.  The other time we were assigned a cabin at the last minute and were in a balcony under one of the outdoor restaurant seating area which was pretty noisy during the day.  In both cases it was worth it because of the cost.

Princess rates are the same for GTY and for choosing your cabin.

Not sure if that was different years ago.  But, that is the way it has been for a long time.

Other cruise lines might still have the GTY discount?

I think most people choose GTY because they think that increases their chance for an upgrade.

Or, because, as cabins book up, Princess will only offer that category as GTY.

Lately, Princess has been picky about which cabins they offer to people traveling as a couple, and to people traveling with 3 or 4 in the cabin.   If anyone sees that only GTY is offered for the two of them, but would like to see if any other cabins are available to choose, try to do a mock booking for 3 and see if any cabins show up.

21 hours ago, rideev said:

And just like that, my room was assigned.  The day after I posted that.  Cruise is Dec 18, got stateroom assigned on Oct 26.  And it is a good one.  Booked a balcony guarantee, got assigned a BB on a full cruise.

That's nice.  Which Category did you book the GTY in?  In case unaware, a guest can book GTY in anything from BF thru BA, but you must not have booked a GTY BA.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

That's nice.  Which Category did you book the GTY in?  In case unaware, a guest can book GTY in anything from BF thru BA, but you must not have booked a GTY BA.

Book a BF guarantee.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, rideev said:

Book a BF guarantee.

We are booked on Sky for Nov 19...booked a BF, allowed upgrade...showed up 2 weeks ago...BA in the exact middle of the ship.  

Happened a few years ago...booked a BD, wound up with a BB on the deck with the large balconies.  (Ruby Princess, I think)

• Like 2