Celebrity is allowing people to outbid your MoveUp offer

otownfins

I don’t know if this is something Celebrity has just started but I haven’t seen anyone else post this before. We have an upcoming cruise and made a bid through the MoveUp process. 
I just learned from another cruiser they got an email from Celebrity letting them know they can make a bid that in essence allows them to outbid other cruisers that made bids thru MoveUp. The 3rd party handling this is https://www.plusgrade.com/

i think this is very misleading and conflicting to the MoveUp program. At least Celebrity should allow all cruisers the same opportunity. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, otownfins said:

I don’t know if this is something Celebrity has just started but I haven’t seen anyone else post this before. We have an upcoming cruise and made a bid through the MoveUp process. 
I just learned from another cruiser they got an email from Celebrity letting them know they can make a bid that in essence allows them to outbid other cruisers that made bids thru MoveUp. The 3rd party handling this is https://www.plusgrade.com/

i think this is very misleading and conflicting to the MoveUp program. At least Celebrity should allow all cruisers the same opportunity. 

I’ve seen this. Our bid was “frozen” as pending while the other bids were expired. And then another person on our cruise got an email saying that they could bid on the same upgrade and that 5 others were bidding and they had been outbid. So a more real time bidding process like EBay where as our bid is now frozen we can’t cancel or modify it.  I think this might be what is happening in the 4-5 days that people talk about when their bid is frozen??? Super weird and annoying!

I cruised two months ago. Mine said pending and low and behold I got it! I saw the charge go through before I was notified. It was so special! Seven glorious days in the penthouse suite on the Edge. My only complaint is the next time I cruise I will miss my suite!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

This is what I got for AQ SkySuite bid.

FF7C332C-3E75-404E-B4A8-7D27AE2577F6.jpeg

To me, this just looks like a marketing scheme to try and get people who have already made bids to bid more.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Wow… that’s a shame. I don’t mind them trying to make a profit since they had a couple of bad years with Covid….but that really takes the fun out of it. I never got an email like that but I did bid just above what they suggested in the first email. I am close to elite plus in points and diamond on RCCL. There is a lot of speculation on how they decide to chose who to upgrade. I’m not sure anyone knows.I just decided what I was willing to pay and stuck with it. Also, I went from a suite class to a better suite class. My brother made a bid and he was in a very inexpensive room. He probably could have paid the same price if he had chosen a better room originally.

Also, I was notified a full 3 weeks before my Italy and Greece cruise. Not a few days before which is how I thought it would go. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks!  Would mind sharing what Captains Clubs level you are?  Just curious if those with higher status are the ones "targeted".

I am Classic.  Should be select after our cruise in Nov.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

To me, this just looks like a marketing scheme to try and get people who have already made bids to bid more.

Great point.  Will be very difficult to determine if it's an actual scheme (will win with your current bid) or if its legit (will lose if you don't increase your bid).  Regardless, I'd imagine this email is very effective with getting people to increase their bids.  The OP and one other are claiming they didn't receive this "outbid" targeted email.  My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is if it was a scheme it would go out to everyone yet this doesn't appear to be the case; therefore who is X targeting with these emails?

• Like 1

It’s effectively letting you know you have no chance. If you bid $50 and they already have a full slate of $200 bids, you stand no chance and that is what it is. So if you want a realistic chance, pay more. 

Would you rather know immediately or wait 60 days to find out you didn’t get the upgrade? 

• Like 9

I agree with marketing.  It's no difference than the silly meter on the right side that indicates if your bid is weak or strong.  Bid what your are willing to pay and move on.  If you win great if not there is nothing lost.  

People get caught up in winning a bid and thinking they are getting a great discount by booking a less expensive room and winning a bid.  The reality is Celebrity is a business to make money and not giving anything away.  I bet more than half of the winning bids are overbids.  Some people bid more than what they would have paid if they called and upgraded the room at prevailing rates.   

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It’s effectively letting you know you have no chance. If you bid $50 and they already have a full slate of $200 bids, you stand no chance and that is what it is. So if you want a realistic chance, pay more. 

Would you rather know immediately or wait 60 days to find out you didn’t get the upgrade? 

Yeah i get that for the bidder of this email. But what about the people that bid and don’t get this email but rather get that weird little meter and then get locked out.   I would think that those people (who presumably actually got the option to upgrade earlier ?) should also get the the right of first refusal at least on the off chance that someone outbids their offer. Simply saying that its not an even playing field. 

Edited by clampsa
  • Like 2

Yeah i get that for the bidder of this email. But what about the people that bid and don’t get this email but rather get that weird little meter and then get locked out.   I would think that those people (who presumably actually got the option to upgrade earlier ?) should also get the the right of first refusal at least on the off chance that someone outbids their offer. Simply saying that its not an even playing field. 

23 minutes ago, clampsa said:

Simply saying that its not an even playing field. 

The intention of the bidding process is not to promote fairness, it's to maximize revenue. There's also no guarantee that the process was fair prior to this new wrinkle.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The intention of the bidding process is not to maximize fairness, it's to maximize revenue. There's also no guarantee that the process was fair prior to this new wrinkle.

I sincerely doubt it was/is fair, otherwise there wouldn’t be multipliers based on status.   

• Like 1

If you think the email about raising your bid is wrong then let Celebrity executive office know.

I personally buy a cabin where I will be happy and bid if I might snag a bargain.  The problem is are all underbidders sent an email giving them the choice to bid again?  What does pending really mean?

FWIW won two bids.  Did not win one other.  Have never had a bid shown as pending.