Flights included , pros / cons

niccynoo66

Hello ,

I am considering booking a jan 2025 cruise , Caribbean , on Arvia with flights included. 
We have only sailed from Southampton or Barcelona ( and booked own flights ) and just curious if there are any things to consider. 
many thanks 

Nicky 

One of the advantages is that if the aircraft is late (assuming it is a TUI charter flight) the ship will wait for you.

If you want to arrange your own flights, there is no reduction on the fly/cruise option, so you would, in effect, be paying twice for the flights.  

6 minutes ago, niccynoo66 said:

Hello ,

I am considering booking a jan 2025 cruise , Caribbean , on Arvia with flights included. 
We have only sailed from Southampton or Barcelona ( and booked own flights ) and just curious if there are any things to consider. 
many thanks 

Nicky 

If it's P&O charter flight the benefits are the bonded luggage and no arrival hall, straight on bus to ship and generally onboard (traffic dependent) in around 1 hour 30 minutes.  The flights with TUI are good on modern aircraft.  You do not get free drinks apart from wine with dinner and pay to book seats.

What sort of other information are you seeking?

As well as the ship waiting for you in Barbados should your outward journey be delayed (happened to us.  Delay of about 10 hours) there is also an advantage on your return flight.  You have the use of the ship (not cabin, unless you pay for a day cabin for the last day) until you are called to catch the coach to the airport.  So, should the flight coming the fetch you be delayed, eg by weather in UK, you still enjoy the onboard facilities until it’s in the air and we’ll on its way across the Atlantic.  You can swim, sunbathe, eat.  You can use facilities in the Spa to shower and dress for the journey home.

Personally, unless you want to extend your time in Barbados with an independently booked hotel stay, I can see no advantage to booking scheduled flights.  
The seamless transfers from P&O charter flights to the ship have been honed over years and years.  It is a joy to hand over your luggage at your UK airport and not have to think about it again till it arrives outside your cabin (in case that takes a while, put sandals, sunglasses and Factor 50 (purchased in duty free after UK airport security) in your carry on luggage

5 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

You get free drinks wine & spirits in economy too

If you do, that's new.  Drinks service, not with a meal, has not been included on all my 9 previous P&O Caribbean trips.  

My experience is one drink offered shortly after boarding, then wine with a meal, pay for anything else to drink except water.  I recall being offered a Baileys on a Thomas Cook flight.

In PE you can order drinks free of charge at other times which is I think what Wowzz is referring to.

To be honest we always flew PE until our last  two Caribbean cruises Nov 2021 & March 2022 when we tried economy (No space left in PE) we ordered gin and tonics (2each) before meal , got wine with our meal and another round of drinks after before falling asleep)  😂

each time their own but now think we will fly economy and save the £700/800 for spending elsewhere 

Edited by janieb1962

This year is my first in 10 trying PE, mainly because my OH was very upset about a flight earlier in the year.  We have always found the economy offering good, particularly as we can both ask for aisle seats.  This year we have taken the plunge and have two PE seats together and it will be interesting to compare service etc.  Reserving the seats was however a nightmare involving 2 1/2 frustrating hours ending at 2.30am to book the seats.  It will have to be a far superior service for me to go through that again!

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for the update.

Only fly PE, so wasn't sure what happened behind the curtain !

I think it changed before covid wowzz, our Christmas 2019 flights had free drinks throughout the flight where we'd only had them in premium before. Makes the regular seats easier as I have a few gins and im spark out after ive eaten lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mad4WDW said:

I think it changed before covid wowzz, our Christmas 2019 flights had free drinks throughout the flight where we'd only had them in premium before. Makes the regular seats easier as I have a few gins and im spark out after ive eaten lol

Never been able to sleep in economy.  Could never get my legs tucked away! Glad you managed it !

• Like 1

Regarding drinks I think it's the old addage you don't ask you don't get.You get a couple of trolley rounds on long haul but not a lot.I have always popped into the galley for topups on most of our longhaul flights.Quite obliging I found.

• Like 1