Live Review NCL GEM 11/6-11/13 Lots of Pictures Plenty of Random Thoughts Pre Cruise Adventure in Venice

BennyBrun

28 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Day 9

What a trip… I am ready to go back home and recover for my next one!  European cruises for me is all about exploring and discovering… Caribbean cruises are meant for relaxation 😝 

Thanks for taking us with you. I'm sure you must be exhausted but immensely satisfied. It seems like you had a wonderful time, and even the cloudy day gave you fabulously dramatic skies and sunset.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

Thanks for taking us with you. I'm sure you must be exhausted but immensely satisfied. It seems like you had a wonderful time, and even the cloudy day gave you fabulously dramatic skies and sunset.

I can not complain about the weather at all.  It has been amazing!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

Day 8

480710E4-B598-4452-8F21-12D5FB872D3E.jpeg

CC4265C9-A9D9-4542-8238-9645AC5BFC5D.jpeg

A235231E-BFCE-401D-ABCF-33E0C8C57A13.jpeg

544F55E9-B7E8-469C-82E8-180AE5A2324C.jpeg

8D0CAF46-47A8-4279-ABDE-648B29EC2354.jpeg

93E07F23-E22F-498A-8DA9-E1566128A405.jpeg

C01B9039-F900-4F59-AE38-F33231C71B57.jpeg

301213DB-E0D9-4C10-A185-8EC756A11C15.jpeg

6470F976-7411-4522-A00F-2B868C58565E.jpeg

54DC3D14-AE7D-4267-9C82-489B936B6E24.jpeg

EC0DC83D-942B-4FF9-929A-7AF3951D8777.jpeg

A833E8B8-0E2B-470D-A351-2F30831C163D.jpeg

DC084C7E-67F0-431F-9446-450817422BA7.jpeg

A1694358-8EE3-4F61-9002-0BBDDC80F976.jpeg

B1C79A0F-DC91-4A9D-BECC-DBC14674B494.jpeg

8D4FE728-33F3-45C6-BEAD-BBC7895068D1.jpeg

07AD3B96-1320-4D56-897C-0E40A4C2FA86.jpeg

3046B692-EFEC-47A3-9F68-C2DEB261D2B7.jpeg

E4B2986F-F158-4822-89B1-1D7235BB04C7.jpeg

Can't wait to visit someday.

So much to see.  

You did it again.

Another fantastic review!!

We really loved these reviews from Italy.  We got to enjoy

a virtual cruise to some places we've never been before.

Thank you so much for taking your time to do this.

Wishing you safe travels home.

Till next time.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@BennyBrun....you hit it out of the park again ....another home run review!

Recover, repack and onto your next adventure.....I'm looking forward to following along vitrually.

I hope you are recovering well!  Thanksgiving next and then off to the Disney Dream … first Disney Cruise… so that should be interesting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BennyBrun said:

I hope you are recovering well!  Thanksgiving next and then off to the Disney Dream … first Disney Cruise… so that should be interesting!

Thanks I am a work in progress.  

Disney review will be interesting.

After living in Florida for 40 years and working for company that built EPCOT I am not much of a Disney fan anymore.  Disney IMO has become too money greedy.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Thanks I am a work in progress.  

Disney review will be interesting.

After living in Florida for 40 years and working for company that built EPCOT I am not much of a Disney fan anymore.  Disney IMO has become too money greedy.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

I am glad to hear that!

I am very interested in the Disney cruise to see how that compares to my other cruises so it shall be an interesting experience.  I do agree with you that the pricing at Disney World / Land is out of control.  It makes cruising seem like such a better alternative looking at cost!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I will be eating like I am at the Garden Cafe on Turkey day 😂 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

It's not just Americans. Venice has a love/hate relationship with tourists like few other places in the world. Also, Venice is expensive because everything has to be brought in from the mainland or lagoon, and there's finite space. It's not a gouging dopey tourists thing... locals deal with the same issues. 

It you keep that in mind, you'll probably have an amazing time. I'd recommend reading or watch Rick Steves' content on Venice (and most other places in Europe). He offers very realistic perspectives on the city.

It seems like Rick Steves seems more fake than the real experience people can encounter on European destinations any more.  Is he still putting out news shows post COVID?

16 hours ago, 65Mommy said:

It seems like Rick Steves seems more fake than the real experience people can encounter on European destinations any more. 

Rick Steves "fake" and not real experiences? I've seen a lot of hot takes on CC, but this is certainly one of the oddest. Would you care to expand?

I've never seen him share anything less than honest American perspectives on European travel. Long lines, crowds, and ripoffs are all part of his content regularly, unlike lots of TV/mags/socials/YouTube that just present picture-perfect travelogues. 

He also just released a new series/book this year.

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, BennyBrun said:

I am glad to hear that!

I am very interested in the Disney cruise to see how that compares to my other cruises so it shall be an interesting experience.  I do agree with you that the pricing at Disney World / Land is out of control.  It makes cruising seem like such a better alternative looking at cost!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I will be eating like I am at the Garden Cafe on Turkey day 😂 

I fell behind, but thank you for your review!  I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Disney.  Was only on 1 3 night cruise.  Would love to go back ,but for the same amount of money I can do more Royal Caribbean cruises! LOL!  Happy Thanksgiving!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Max and Ruby said:

I fell behind, but thank you for your review!  I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Disney.  Was only on 1 3 night cruise.  Would love to go back ,but for the same amount of money I can do more Royal Caribbean cruises! LOL!  Happy Thanksgiving!

I am very interested in the Disney cruise so expect a full report with lots of pictures since I will be in no rush to go see Nassau! 😂 

• Like 1

Programming change!  I know I said I will be going to Australia 1/29/23 but due to the recent changes to the “protocol” by Carnival, mask will now be required/need a Covid test to board/need insurance that specifically states COVID coverage, I decided to postpone the Australia cruise until 1/28/2024 because I am not ready to deal with all that stress especially having to spend 28 hours on a flight and pray I don’t test positive 24 hours before boarding is too much stress!  Instead I booked another transatlantic on the Carnival Venezia from Barcelona to NY.  It will be her inaugural sailing.  Super excited about it!  That off set the disappointment of postponing my Australia cruise!

• Like 6

Aloha. I think you made an excellent choice plus looking forward to your reports and of course food pictures on the Venezia.  Sailed with Costa years ago and of course Carnival. Im sure your reports will be excellent.  What ship for Thanksgiving?  All the best and Happy Thanksgiving and remember… lots of pictures lol! Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 5:54 PM, BennyBrun said:

Day 9

What a trip… I am ready to go back home and recover for my next one!  European cruises for me is all about exploring and discovering… Caribbean cruises are meant for relaxation 😝 

I only found your blog yesterday and have loved reading it all and seeing your pictures, info, tips and comments - I’ll be doing a fair bit of this itinerary on the Epic next year… so excited now.. fabulous scenery and cities… and thanks to you, a few new foodie places to try are saved on my google maps👍😁

In a few days, I’ll be joining the newly refurbished Gem from Barcelona, so it was great to read that you enjoyed the ship! I hope we don’t get too many new staff changes after the dry dock.

Can you tell me how many power points and what kind there are in the staterooms? I’m from the UK so like European sockets as well😊

Also, more a female question, is the hairdryer in the bathroom or at the dressing table with mirror?

Thank you so much!!